Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

TPMS problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:47 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
TPMS problems

2009 (8/2008 build) MINI JCW Clubman.

Had winter tires mounted and had the TPMS sensors changed since they were 10 years old (but still worked).
Driving home from the tire place, the yellow
speedo tire monitor light came on but my Schwaben scanner couldn't pick up any faults.
After a while the flat tire yellow light on the speedo went off but the little ! in the triangle by the trip odometer went on.
Using the stalk button to check info on it, only the tire symbol comes up.
Reset it again and "Inactive" came up without an option to reset. (usually says active and reset).
Went to the tire place and they re-initialized everything by pinging the monitors and through their scan
tool to the OBD. Got it to reset which worked
for about 5 miles, then the yellow light came
back on, soon to be replaced be the ! triangle
by the trip odo. Since then this first problem comes back over and over.
Reset, light goes out after 3-6 miles, scan tool shows no problems, and light goes on again, followed by
light on speedo going out and little triangle ! by trip odometer is back on and only fault on the tach when
checking is the tire monitor symbol. All other times I was able to get "Active" and "Reset" on the screen.
When I scan, I get plausible values for temp and pressure (except it reads 3.5 Bar when I think it means
to say 35 psi) at all 4 tires, and if I let out 10# the red flat tire light comes on as expected and goes out
when the tire is refilled.
So it seems like the sensors are all working ok, and the system does detect and notify a drop in
pressure.
Maybe there's some other compatibility glitch or
incorrect setup or initialization.

I'm going to put my summer tires back on later today to check if they still work fine like they did all summer.
If not, then I guess I'll need to suspect the control unit ($280) as a possiblility.
BTW, the summer tires were delivered last May mounted on new wheels with aftermarket TPMS sensors from Tire Rack
installed, and they gave me no problems. They didn't need any fancy initialization, just 1 quick reset.

Anyone have similar problems, and what was the solution?

Last edited by cristo; 10-21-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:37 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Put on the summer tires, pushed reset,
and the light went off within a block
and stayed off for the 20 miles I rode.
Check=OK and nothing wrong on a full
scan (which includes the RDC).
Put the winter tires on and the light went
out after 5 miles, only to come back again
With an “inactive” warning.
Tried to reset 3 more times with similar results.
Looks like they either put on the wrong
sensors (U-Pro 433Mhz 21262) or
programmed them wrong.

Fault codes on scan are now:
604E rdc control
6054 rdc front left
6055 front right.
There is no pressure data or sensor numbers
for any of the wheels now.
Clearing the faults and resetting again didn’t work.

Last edited by cristo; 10-21-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:09 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
frequency used by MINI for sensors changed a couple of times

folks not familiar can easily get the wrong ones

here's what's on OUTMOTORING site:

Please note, as of the Sept 2009 build date MINI has a different frequency for the TPMS sensors. Please note the option on the drop down menu for build date and slight price change for the newer TPMS kit. Also, the Gen3 MINI ("F" series models) use a different kit as well. Please select accordingly.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:27 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
My other 433 Mhz ones from Tire Rack (Huf) work great,
but these 433 MHz from U-Pro just ain’t doin the job.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Well, the tire shop had the MINI all afternoon and reconfigured the sensors, drove it several miles until the light went out, and pronounced it fixed.
I scanned it and found no data on any wheel, drove it 4 miles and got data on the wheels but no acknowlegement of the sensors, drove it 4 more miles
and the light came back on. They tried something on it again with two different scan tools that they have and since then, no codes, faults, or lights, but still
haven't gotten acknowledgement of the sensors. The light usually doesn't go on until that happens,
or if it doesn't acknowledge them for a certain period of time or mileage, then an "inactive" error occurs.
I'll have to drive it more to get to that point and see if the problem becomes apparent again, which I'm pretty sure it will.*
It really shouldn't take so many miles to reset when my summer wheels and the previous factory wheels reset in about a block or two.
Meanwhile, they're ordering a different brand of sensor and will change them this weekend if they get them in by then, or the next
Tuesday or Saturday if not.

*Edit: Yep, drove a few more miles after supper
and Jeopardy and the ⚠️ warning is back on.

Last edited by cristo; 10-23-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:52 AM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the same problem four years ago. Wrong sensors were on the winter tires. All season tires were stored in garage and car picked up those sensors...then drove twenty miles and light came on. Took a while to figure that one out!

Old 10-26-2018, 03:52 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
No luck again (third trip). The shop took the advice they got from U-Pro and
tried to reconfigure the sensors with a different year's file. For some reason the
manufacturer suggested using 2010 instead of 2009 even though that's after the
change to a different oem sensor per realoem's part numbers.
They then tried 2008 but couldn't get the file to write and I'm back to square one again.
They had it in the bay 3 times over a couple hours. Since the U-Pro rep was so convincing
that their suggestions would work this time, they hadn't ordered a different brand sensor as
they were originally going to do earlier this week, and now I'll have to wait until Tuesday
afternoon for them to (hopefully) get Huf or Schrader sensors (MINI oem brands).
This is a shop that has been around since 1961 and I have been going there for decades
without any previous problems at all, and since it looks like it's primarily a manufacturer's
issue, I'd like to give them another chance to do it right with a different manufacturer.

I'm hoping for better luck next week.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:01 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Well, they said they tried another sensor (didn't recognize the brand, but it wasn't Huf or Shrader), and they said it didn't work.
They then put in another U-Pro set and programmed it for 2008 and drove it 15-20 miles and pronounced it fixed.
I checked a scan which said the sensor positions had not been acknowledged yet, and sure enough, in just a couple
more miles, the light came back on. Tried resetting it and it took a couple miles for the light to go out, but it came
back on in a few more.

I ordered the same Huf sensors (RDE048V21) from Tire Rack that worked instantly without programming on my summer tires,
and will get another shop to put them in the winter wheels Friday or Saturday (they should arrive Thursday).

Old 11-02-2018, 01:26 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Had a second shop put in 4 Huf rde048v21
sensors and it reset quickly, correctly, and
permanently.
Returned the other sensors to the first
shop and got a refund on the parts and tax.
Glad it’s finally straight.

Last edited by cristo; 11-04-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:36 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Lesson learned I guess. A tough one at that. Glad it has worked out for you finally.