Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

R53 Code: 0341

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 736 Likes on 521 Posts
R53 Code: 0341

I have a recurring 0341 code --- it only happens after spirited driving when driven up to redline.

2006 JCW with 105,000 miles.

Replaced t/c tensioner and it hadn't given the code again until just recently.

Valve cover gasket is on the to-do list and is scheduled next after doing the water pump this weekend.

When I pull the valve cover, will it be visually obvious if the timing chain is stretched and in need of replacement?
I will inspect the sprockets and see how they look of course too.

SLIGHT RANT TO VENT STEAM:
At the moment I'm feeling a little overwhelmed because I have a rather large to-do list. I'm a mediocre mechanic at best but I can get by, but it feels as if I've gotten myself into having to do a complete restoration pretty much --- there is a love/hate thing developing because I love the damn car but parts lifespan/fragility is quite annoying,
I sorta feel like this guy:
https://classicmotorsports.com/forum.../126273/page1/

I've driven the car 6,000 miles and I'm amazed with the driving dynamics, but slightly frustrated by the number of issues which need addressing --- I knew this going in, I knew I was getting a maintenance hog, and I do actually enjoy working on it to some degree, but my morale has slipped a bit as I find myself more and more spending my off-time up on jackstands instead of on the road and plus draining my wallet on expensive (but cheaply/poorly made) parts.

At this point I am committed though and I know in the long run I'll be rewarded.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:23 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried replacing the cam position sensor? I've read a couple times that it's fixed P0340 / P0341 codes.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dannorth
Have you tried replacing the cam position sensor? I've read a couple times that it's fixed P0340 / P0341 codes.
If everything looks okay upon visual inspection, I will likely replace the sensor.

So, it is a known common failure part?
A failing sensor gives an incorrect reading?

Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
If everything looks okay upon visual inspection, I will likely replace the sensor.

So, it is a known common failure part?
A failing sensor gives an incorrect reading?
I don't know how common a fault it really is, but if it fails it absolutely can and probably will give incorrect reading (if not no reading at all).

Crank, Cam and wheel speed sensors are all hall effect sensors - they basically sense the teeth of a gear as they pass by in close proximity, creating a low voltage sine wave the associated ECU can use to determine speed and/or position. They are a bit tricky to test though; best way to do it is with an oscilloscope to observe the waveform while it operates on the vehicle... not always too practical. On the other hand, modern vehicle systems are pretty good at diagnosing their own problems, so I would tend to trust it. Check the physical condition of the wiring to the sensor to make sure it's not screwed up, and if it looks good, replace the sensor. You have to support the engine and pull a motor mount to do it, but it doesn't sound like it's too difficult.

The following users liked this post:
Oldboy Speedwell (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Dannorth
1st Gear
If the sensor doesn't fix it, then things get trickier.

If the car drives normally between times the code appears, then odds are probably good it's not a pure mechanical issue (stretched chain, jumped teeth, etc) as those things stay bad and would usually effect performance noticeably.

If the car's performance is poor, or the fuel consumption is bad, and/or there are nasty noises coming from the engine timing chain area, then yeah - could be chain related, and hopefully your valves haven't played spin the bottle with the pistons.

Some interesting info here: https://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0341.html

What can cause the code P0341:
- a faulty camshaft position sensor
- improperly installed sensor
- damaged or misaligned reluctor wheel
- foreign materials between the camshaft sensor and the reluctor wheel
- open, short or bad connection at the camshaft position sensor connector or wiring
- improper timing
- a timing belt or chain jumped a tooth
- stretched timing belt or chain
- problems with variable timing mechanism
- electrical interference from the secondary ignition system components to the CMP sensor circuit caused by high resistance in the ignition wires or spark plugs or faulty secondary ignition components.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:09 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Thank you for the detailed response,
I appreciate it.

Although the R53 offers a fairly analog experience as far as modern cars go, it still has much too much complicated electrics crap which is guaranteed to fail and cause headaches.

The drive-by-wire throttling is especially bad and BMW should have went caveman style with it as the detached feel detracts from overall driver engagement.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dannorth
If the sensor doesn't fix it, then things get trickier.

If the car drives normally between times the code appears, then odds are probably good it's not a pure mechanical issue (stretched chain, jumped teeth, etc) as those things stay bad and would usually effect performance noticeably.

If the car's performance is poor, or the fuel consumption is bad, and/or there are nasty noises coming from the engine timing chain area, then yeah - could be chain related, and hopefully your valves haven't played spin the bottle with the pistons.

Some interesting info here: https://www.samarins.com/diagnose/p0341.html

Quote:
What can cause the code P0341:
- a faulty camshaft position sensor
- improperly installed sensor
- damaged or misaligned reluctor wheel
- foreign materials between the camshaft sensor and the reluctor wheel
- open, short or bad connection at the camshaft position sensor connector or wiring
- improper timing
- a timing belt or chain jumped a tooth
- stretched timing belt or chain
- problems with variable timing mechanism
- electrical interference from the secondary ignition system components to the CMP sensor circuit caused by high resistance in the ignition wires or spark plugs or faulty secondary ignition components.

Much appreciate the possibility list!
Thanks.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
I have a recurring 0341 code --- it only happens after spirited driving when driven up to redline.

2006 JCW with 105,000 miles.

Replaced t/c tensioner and it hadn't given the code again until just recently.

Valve cover gasket is on the to-do list and is scheduled next after doing the water pump this weekend.

When I pull the valve cover, will it be visually obvious if the timing chain is stretched and in need of replacement?
I will inspect the sprockets and see how they look of course too.

SLIGHT RANT TO VENT STEAM:
At the moment I'm feeling a little overwhelmed because I have a rather large to-do list. I'm a mediocre mechanic at best but I can get by, but it feels as if I've gotten myself into having to do a complete restoration pretty much --- there is a love/hate thing developing because I love the damn car but parts lifespan/fragility is quite annoying,
I sorta feel like this guy:
https://classicmotorsports.com/forum.../126273/page1/

I've driven the car 6,000 miles and I'm amazed with the driving dynamics, but slightly frustrated by the number of issues which need addressing --- I knew this going in, I knew I was getting a maintenance hog, and I do actually enjoy working on it to some degree, but my morale has slipped a bit as I find myself more and more spending my off-time up on jackstands instead of on the road and plus draining my wallet on expensive (but cheaply/poorly made) parts.

At this point I am committed though and I know in the long run I'll be rewarded.
I feel your pain. It’s a shame that such a fun car should have such poor quality components. I expected better from the Germans, but when you have basic components such as fuel pumps, dampers, and fuel filter sensor/housing components going bad with less than 70,000 miles it’s very frustrating and annoying. Sorry to hijack thread.