Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

P0128 OBD CODE and 2F07 MINI Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
P0128 OBD CODE and 2F07 MINI Code

I have had the P0128 code (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) multiple times along with the stored MINI code of 2F07 (MAP thermostat mechanism DME).

Has anyone seen these codes on their R56?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 AM
scottab36
5th Gear
UPDATE!!!

Both of these codes are related to the MINI not running warm enough. I was seeing only 193F-195F for water temperature. The normal temperature for the MINI is around 220F.

I replaced the thermostat housing and temperature sensor. Also had the cooling system flushed. Problem solved. Water temperature is back at 220F.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
gkp
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I had the same codes come up two weeks ago, a week or so after going to a RMW tune. I replaced the thermostat, too, but the codes remained. I went back to the stock JCW tune and coolant temp was back up where it should be and the codes cleared. Now I am going to try the Alta tune and see what happens.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:29 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Not the case with me. The low temps were with the JCW tune.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM
jlevy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same codes here - AP stage 1

I just threw the same 2 codes. ALTA says they are unrelated to the AP tune and suggested I take it to the dealer. I can not clear the codes using the AP.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:21 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scottab36
UPDATE!!!

Both of these codes are related to the MINI not running warm enough. I was seeing only 193F-195F for water temperature. The normal temperature for the MINI is around 220F.

I replaced the thermostat housing and temperature sensor. Also had the cooling system flushed. Problem solved. Water temperature is back at 220F.
Again, the above probably applies. About one month later the MINI started in the opposite direction with over heating. Thanks to the Scangauge I got it immediately. The water pump was leaking. I have had it replaced and no issues since.

On a side note I was running Water Wetter in my cooling system prior to the multiple cooling system failures. Not sure if these items are related but I will not be adding Water Wetter again.

I'm still running the JCW tune which is running outstanding. By multiple gauges it's delivering 17-18 PSIg of boost and feels great. This increase in boost pressure came after an ECU reflash by the dealer.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Jpminiclub
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

When you replaced the thermostat housing and temp sensor...are those the same unit? If not, where is the temp sensor?

QUOTE=scottab36;3286378]UPDATE!!!

I replaced the thermostat housing and temperature sensor. Also had the cooling system flushed. Problem solved. Water temperature is back at 220F.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Toolz
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jpminiclub
Hello,

When you replaced the thermostat housing and temp sensor...are those the same unit? If not, where is the temp sensor?

QUOTE=scottab36;3286378]UPDATE!!!

[/QUOTE]

Thermostat housing part includes temp sensor already installed in it... but you can buy the sensor on its own also. However most will suggest doing the complete thermostat.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:30 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Jpminiclub
Hello,

Originally Posted by Toolz

Thermostat housing part includes temp sensor already installed in it... but you can buy the sensor on its own also. However most will suggest doing the complete thermostat.
+1

Thermostats HERE. Temp sensor HERE. As you can see below, the brown sensor is the coolant sensor.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM
w2ec
1st Gear
My OBD gives me the P0128 code, but how are you all reading the 2F07 code? Where are you getting that from, what tool?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:55 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by w2ec
My OBD gives me the P0128 code, but how are you all reading the 2F07 code? Where are you getting that from, what tool?
BMW/MINI specific code readers will give you the MINI FC code along with the P code that tells you something about it more specifically. P0128 0x2F07 is Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) P0128 0x348A Program map thermostat: Sticking in open position.

You possibly have a thermostat issue and may need to replace it. What MINI do you have?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hermostat.html

Old 03-10-2016, 08:29 AM
w2ec
1st Gear
I have a 2009 MCS Hardtop R56 which I ordered from Mini, built to my specs. It currently has 35,200 miles. I started getting OBD P0128 codes, so measured the coolant temp with DashCommand and got a max of 147f, similar results on an Actron scanner and again on ScanXL. I then had the thermo housing etc replaced. Temp now goes up to 183f then settles in between 178f and 183f. When I first got the car I had checked it just to capture base line data and then ran it occasionally to capture periodic checkpoints. It has been running fine around 197f to 210f until I got the P0128 last month that resulted in my having the thermo/housing replaced. I don't understand why I am now only getting a max of 183f with the new unit, I expected it would be back up to the 197f-210f range. I see there are several Mini function codes related to P0128 and was trying to figure out how to retrieve those codes. Any recommendations on tools that will read these Mini specific codes?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:46 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Tools like our AutoEnginuity HERE should be able to pull the FC code. Sometimes the code reader will also read text after the P code it gives you. Does it say anything by it or just reading P0128? You could also PM the OP and ask what scan gauge he is using. What thermostat did you get to replace the old unit? Did you do the install yourself? I'd check over it and make sure everything is connected into the correct spot. It could be just a faulty temp sensor or thermostat unit. I have seen this more than a few times. Since yours is reporting a lower temp, I'd probably assume it's 0x2F07 as that relates to the temp below regulating temperature. Check out this thread HERE, as his issue was a faulty CTS.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:28 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
I started getting these two codes a couple weeks ago --- 1st day this year ambient air temp hit 72F. Lasted for a couple days. Hasn't returned after temps returned to the normal 50 - 60 deg. My AP code reader says that P2F07 is "Thermostat Mechanical Error".

Also, my Manic tune set the running coolant temp to be 180 - 185, a bit lower than my usual 195+. Ran fine for a month or so, 'til that 72F day. Now I'm wondering how the ECU determines when to throw these codes, and whether or not the thermostat really has a mechanical defect. I've been advised to get another OBD II readout using a different reader, and I will --- as soon as the temps get warmer and I throw these codes again.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:37 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I'd maybe ask someone who is running that tune with the running coolant temp to see if they ever had these issues, or maybe call Manic themselves and see what they have to say. I agree with the idea of the different OBDII reader. Are you on your stock and original thermostat?

Old 03-11-2016, 11:22 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I'd maybe ask someone who is running that tune with the running coolant temp to see if they ever had these issues, or maybe call Manic themselves and see what they have to say. I agree with the idea of the different OBDII reader. Are you on your stock and original thermostat?
I'm posting on here 'cause there's no one else anywhere near me with a Manic tune.

Manic tuner is the one suggesting a different reader. He also suggested that it could be the tune causing it, but not likely.

The original (I bought the car used at 37K miles) thermostat housing was replaced almost a year ago --- leaking at the gasket. The original (to me) was replaced with a new OEM version that is now throwing these codes. Is a 2007 N14 aftermarket version available?

Old 03-11-2016, 11:34 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I'm posting on here 'cause there's no one else anywhere near me with a Manic tune.

Manic tuner is the one suggesting a different reader. He also suggested that it could be the tune causing it, but not likely.

The original (I bought the car used at 37K miles) thermostat housing was replaced almost a year ago --- leaking at the gasket. The original (to me) was replaced with a new OEM version that is now throwing these codes. Is a 2007 N14 aftermarket version available?
I'd suggest starting your own thread as you'll most likely get a better response and someone with the tune will probably chime in with some info for you. Meant to ask if it was Genuine or an OEM replacement thermostat, which you said it is. I'd pull with a reader when it happens to see what it says and post that other thread up to see if someone with the tune may offer some advice. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM
w2ec
1st Gear
How does it work?

Is there anyone who can explain exactly how the cooling system works in the Mini R56? My understand from reviewing non-mini electronic thermostats is that there is one thermostat that is mechanically set to open at a certain coolant temperature. Say in the case of a Mini R56 this limit may be at 230f. So if the temp reaches this, the thermostat should open to prevent overheating, this is also a fail-safe in the event the electronic portion fails. Then there is the electronic control which is provided by the ECU using an embedded temperature map that identifies various driving conditions and will electronically open and close the thermostat to match the preprogrammed map. This electronic control seems to be simply a resistor inside the thermostat that, on command from the ECU, heats up, melting the compound in the thermostat and allows the thermostat to open at a lower temperature than normal. Can anyone confirm if this is how the Mini R56 system works. Reason I ask, my original P0128 problem was clearly caused by an open thermostat, it was stuck open and could be easily seen when the housing was removed. My car barely ever went above 147f. Now with the new replacement Housing/thermostat, my temp is going up to 180f, and then begins self regulating between 170f and 180f. So I don't think it is stuck open, yet it is never going much above 180f. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the ECU that is sending the wrong signal, ie telling (electronically) for the thermostat to open and close using the heating resistor whenever the temp reaches 180f.

My question is, is there an OBD PID that I can monitor that measures the input to the resistor control of the thermostat housing to see if it is indeed sending the wrong signal at 180f instead of waiting for a higher temperature.

Any ideas?

Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 PM
w2ec
1st Gear
Follow-up on my P0128 problems

2009 MCS Hardtop R56. Started throwing P0128 about a month ago with maximum temperature only getting up to the 150f area. Diagnosed as failing thermostat, replaced with brand new Mini part. Was shown the original removed failed part, the thermostat was clearly stuck wide open, so figured my problems were over with a new housing. Drove car for a few days, it was getting into the 180f range and several days later the temperature wouldn't even get up to 130f!!! Just got my Mini back today with installation of another new (original Mini part) thermostat housing installed (fortunately at no charge). They showed me the part (the recent "original MINI" replacement, less than 2 weeks old) and told me that a gasket that goes between the plastic housing and the thermostat was twisted such that it was preventing the thermostat from making a watertight seal around its seat so in effect it was also acting as a fully open thermostat all the time. It appears this gasket is a part that had to have been installed during the manufacturing process as although it is visible looking down thru one of the hose ports, it's not accessible once assembled and can't be installed/replaced without dismantling the housing. Based on this they agreed it appeared to be a faulty component direct from Mini. They checked the new/third thermostat housing (also original Mini) before installation and told me it looked OK. I'm not so sure as after the drive home (150 miles) my temperature never rose above 176f and mostly stayed in the 167f range which is far below the 200f-210f I used to get with my original system before it failed. It didn't throw the P0128 code but I'm concerned it's there waiting to happen and this third housing isn't the complete answer to my problem. Does anyone know what temperature must be reached to prevent the P0128 (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) from activating, ie if the temperature doesn't get up to xxx degrees f, then the P0128 code will be activated.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by w2ec
2009 MCS Hardtop R56. Started throwing P0128 about a month ago with maximum temperature only getting up to the 150f area. Diagnosed as failing thermostat, replaced with brand new Mini part. Was shown the original removed failed part, the thermostat was clearly stuck wide open, so figured my problems were over with a new housing. Drove car for a few days, it was getting into the 180f range and several days later the temperature wouldn't even get up to 130f!!! Just got my Mini back today with installation of another new (original Mini part) thermostat housing installed (fortunately at no charge). They showed me the part (the recent "original MINI" replacement, less than 2 weeks old) and told me that a gasket that goes between the plastic housing and the thermostat was twisted such that it was preventing the thermostat from making a watertight seal around its seat so in effect it was also acting as a fully open thermostat all the time. It appears this gasket is a part that had to have been installed during the manufacturing process as although it is visible looking down thru one of the hose ports, it's not accessible once assembled and can't be installed/replaced without dismantling the housing. Based on this they agreed it appeared to be a faulty component direct from Mini. They checked the new/third thermostat housing (also original Mini) before installation and told me it looked OK. I'm not so sure as after the drive home (150 miles) my temperature never rose above 176f and mostly stayed in the 167f range which is far below the 200f-210f I used to get with my original system before it failed. It didn't throw the P0128 code but I'm concerned it's there waiting to happen and this third housing isn't the complete answer to my problem. Does anyone know what temperature must be reached to prevent the P0128 (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature) from activating, ie if the temperature doesn't get up to xxx degrees f, then the P0128 code will be activated.
Thanks for the updated, replied here already : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4188467

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172