Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Start up issue. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 05:38 PM
cavaliers60
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Start up issue. Need advice.

Lately, my R53 has been having issues starting up. This doesn’t happen while the engine is cold. It starts up decently when the engine is cold. However, after driving around town, I can let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, and that’s where the problem happens. It will struggle to start and it has troubles getting going (like not all of the cylinders are firing). It does this for a few seconds before the engine revs on its own and levels out. I’m not quite sure what the issue is. It almost seems like I have a starter that’s going out, but it also seems like a timing issue? I’m a little lost.

Just another issue in my in my long list of problems with this purchase, but I’m still having fun driving it around!

Old 09-11-2018, 05:58 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Is it generating any OBDII codes? Even if your check engine light hasn't come on, put a reader on it to see if any have been stored or are pending.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:19 PM
cavaliers60
2nd Gear
The check engine light stays on while it’s doing it but once the car evens out, it goes away. Almost like the car is still trying to start up.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:40 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
How many miles on the car? Has the fuel filter or pump ever been replaced?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Try this. Turn the key on short of starting. Wait 5 seconds then start. See if that makes a difference. Mine won’t start if I immediately turn the key to start. I’ve changed the fuel pump. It run be fine otherwise, but if I don’t wait a few seconds before starting it will stumble and act like it doesn’t want to run. Just a quirk that I will probably never figure out.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:36 PM
cavaliers60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DamnCampers
How many miles on the car? Has the fuel filter or pump ever been replaced?
148,000 ish miles. I don’t know if or when those were changed. I’ve only had the car for a few months now. The fuel filter was going to be one of the next things I change out. Looks like I may get it done sooner. Is the pump easy to get to? I may take it out and clean it out as well. I’m guessing it’s under the back passenger seat behind the driver and the filter is same area but passenger side, correct?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:59 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Yes the pump is under the rear seat on the drivers side with the filter being on the passanger side. When you work on the fuel system I found it best to remove the whole rear seat to make access easier.

I don't think you can clean the fuel pump as it can be rather hard to maneuver out of the tank when the pump is full of gas. I didn't really mess with mine when I replace my fuel pump around 125k as it was toast.

If and when you do the fuel pump I will recommend bundling all the lines you disconnect that are in the tank. They don't need to be tight, just held together. If you drop the lines by accident after getting the pump in then it will let you fish all the lines out together without having to pull the pump back out.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:19 AM
cavaliers60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
Try this. Turn the key on short of starting. Wait 5 seconds then start. See if that makes a difference. Mine won’t start if I immediately turn the key to start. I’ve changed the fuel pump. It run be fine otherwise, but if I don’t wait a few seconds before starting it will stumble and act like it doesn’t want to run. Just a quirk that I will probably never figure out.
i tried that this morning after taking my son to daycare. It definitely made a difference. It fired right up. I got home, waited a few minutes and started it up without waiting and had the same issue come up. So I think you at least helped me avoid it. Haha. Another weird thing is when it stumbles, there is a lot of smoke that comes out the tailpipe, but that could just be due to the cylinders not firing correctly as it clears up pretty quickly.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Try to pull codes with an OBD2 tester. It may show cam position, or crank position sensor issue.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by cavaliers60

i tried that this morning after taking my son to daycare. It definitely made a difference. It fired right up. I got home, waited a few minutes and started it up without waiting and had the same issue come up. So I think you at least helped me avoid it. Haha. Another weird thing is when it stumbles, there is a lot of smoke that comes out the tailpipe, but that could just be due to the cylinders not firing correctly as it clears up pretty quickly.

I would check your fuel pressure. There is a schraeder valve on the end of the fuel rail under the inter oiled. You can get an inexpensive fuel pressure gauge set at harbor freight. Your FP should be at least 40-50 psi with engine off and should hold that pressure without bleeding down. Once the fuel pump pressurized it should not bleed down. If it does then the check valve is not functioning.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:00 PM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
I think ideally you want to be closer to the 50 psi mark on the fuel pressure. Too far under and you will be starved for fuel.

The schrader valve is under the intercooler as point out above. You will need to remove the intercooler to gain access to it.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 AM
cavaliers60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DamnCampers
I think ideally you want to be closer to the 50 psi mark on the fuel pressure. Too far under and you will be starved for fuel.

The schrader valve is under the intercooler as point out above. You will need to remove the intercooler to gain access to it.
mill have them look at it. They did mention something about the pressure, but they wanted to look further into it. Something to do with the injectors. I think cylinder 1 was reading that it was trying to deliver more fuel compared to the others according to their Scanning tool.