Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Fuel pump not priming before start

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 PM
xcmtber14
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump not priming before start

I'm having sputtering, missfires and low fuel pressure for 20-30 seconds on start-up then full performance afterwords. This is after the car sits for 8 hours or more. I replaced the fuel pump and tested voltage to the pump. Looks like the pump is never getting voltage to "prime" either at door open or ignition on. When I start the engine I get full 13 volts to the pump. What would cause the pump not to get voltage to prime? After the hard starting, the car runs perfect.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:26 PM
xcmtber14
Neutral
No one has ran into this issue at all? Is there a possibility the DME has a fault and isn't sending the fuel pump relay a signal to prime?

Old 08-13-2018, 04:06 PM
shanksamillion
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Haven’t had this issue before. You could have a bad primary fuel pump. The pump primes when you open the driver door. Open the door and listen carefully for a little hum or buzz, That’s the system priming. If you don’t here that then that’s likely your problem. I don’t know how that primary pump works, or if there’s a fuse/relay that you can replace if system doesn’t prime when door opens. I just don’t know that part. You might have to replace the primary pump. Access is under back seat.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM
English
Neutral
Did you ever sort this out

I’m having the same problem fuel pump not priming until startup
no prime or voltage when door opens, no prime or voltage when ignition is turned on.
only when the engine is turned over does the finely pump run.
when power is put to the fuel pump it runs, so fuel pump is fine.
i have tested the relay the black one at the bottom of the fuse panel inside the car and it clicks, I assume this is the fuel pump relay ? When I look on websites for the relay it shows a 5 pin relay but the one in the car is only a 4 pin.
the car was running fine until a couple of weeks ago so if this is the relay it should be the right one.
all of these minis seem to be different in someways either by models, engines or years
my mini is a 2011 Mini Countryman S All4
need help to figure this one out

Old 11-02-2019, 11:43 PM
minigerm
Neutral
Did you get this resolved?

Originally Posted by English
I’m having the same problem fuel pump not priming until startup
no prime or voltage when door opens, no prime or voltage when ignition is turned on.
only when the engine is turned over does the finely pump run.
when power is put to the fuel pump it runs, so fuel pump is fine.
i have tested the relay the black one at the bottom of the fuse panel inside the car and it clicks, I assume this is the fuel pump relay ? When I look on websites for the relay it shows a 5 pin relay but the one in the car is only a 4 pin.
the car was running fine until a couple of weeks ago so if this is the relay it should be the right one.
all of these minis seem to be different in someways either by models, engines or years
my mini is a 2011 Mini Countryman S All4
need help to figure this one out
We're having the same problem with our 2011 Cooper S hardtop. Car will not start. No power to the fuel pump with ignition on. Pump runs if we jump directly from the RH kick panel fuse block F46 terminal. WIres have continuity from connector at fuse block to connector at fuel pump. My understanding is that the fuel pump relay on models after around 2006 are soldered into the two-layer fuse block assembly. I've seen someone rig a new relay into the previous model with the fuse panel in the LH kick panel but nothing for these later models. Anyone have a solution for this other than getting a new fuse block assembly and having the dealer reprogram the car?

Old 01-07-2020, 07:14 PM
brian silvan
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was this ever solved? My 2009 won’t start. Pump comes on during crank but no prime. Fuse box replaced still no start.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes, you should here a high pitch whine when you go to unlock the car, its the low pressure fuel pump. All i can think of is get the schwaben scan tool and see if it does pull a code, some codes come up without a check engine light as they are vehicle specific codes. My guess is the relay or the fuel pump itself is weak.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-15-2020, 06:00 AM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brian silvan
Was this ever solved? My 2009 won’t start. Pump comes on during crank but no prime. Fuse box replaced still no start.
you should try check out this post - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-at-all.html

I had the same problem with my 2009 JCW it turned out to be a relay in JBE that drive the low pressure fuel pump which you are unable to replace. I got myself a new JBE and it started up right away.

The relay in question is K96(the black color relay - Hella 4RA 743 555-10). I am attaching some photos for your reference. Hope they help.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:39 PM
brian silvan
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the JBE with no luck starting. Not a complete loss because my once dead radio is back alive. After months of trouble shooting and failed attempts I replaced the HPFP, Mini started and LPFP primes again.

The following users liked this post:
minidd99 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thats good to hear.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172