Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Steering knuckle/spindle question

Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 AM
ShadowBethesda
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering knuckle/spindle question

I recently was removing the front passenger side strut on my 2006 MCS and the pinch bolt broke. I drilled out the bolt and bought a stock used steering knuckle as a replacement. My question is whether the hole for the pinch bolt is threaded all the way through or on just one side. I’m just trying to be sure the used unit I bought isn’t damaged from being drilled out (if it was) as well before installing it.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by ShadowBethesda; 07-21-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Been there done that. Its threaded on only one side.

The following users liked this post:
ShadowBethesda (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:18 AM
ShadowBethesda
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB 67
Been there done that. Its threaded on only one side.
Thank you!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Newbomb Turk
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m experiencing the same issue. Driver’s side pinch bolt was snapped off before we got the 06 Mini r50. I spent a whole day drilling out the rear side of the drivers side strut. I’ve soaked both sides (Driver & passenger) with PB Blaster. The bolt is intact on the passenger side, even after two days of soaking with PB Blaster, passenger won’t budge with 1/2’ impact or breaker bar. Unfortunately, I only have a butane torch for heat, not hot enough. Car has a bunch of miles on it (190k). I purchased a “chassis kit” for it, ball joints, tie rods, control arms an bushings and struts. I’m finishing my coffee and about ready to head out and start drilling again, ugh. At least it’s good to know, the back side that is threaded, with any luck I can knock the front piece of the bolt out, with a hammer and punch. What a crap design, a known issue on most minis. These werent the original struts. My plan is to put a hardened grade 8 bolt and nut on the drivers side “if” I get it all out. With ani-sieze on it with a thick grease over it to keep it from rusting. Just did the complete chassis kit on my sons 1997 BMW 318ti. It’s night and day different, like brand new. I’m hoping the same for the Mini.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
I spent a whole day drilling out the rear side of the drivers side strut. I’ve soaked both sides (Driver & passenger) with PB Blaster. The bolt is intact on the passenger side, even after two days of soaking with PB Blaster, passenger won’t budge with 1/2’ impact or breaker bar.
Fun stuff! I know it well...
Might be easier to just find a couple used knuckles and swap 'em out...

Read about my travails in THIS thread.

Newbomb Turk (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 03:06 PM
jfrantz
2nd Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I snapped the pinch bolt off the left side of my daughter's R50 and after wasting hours drilling and trying to extract the bolt, I said screw it and spent $205 for a new knuckle. It wasn't worth any more time goofing around with it. I used anti-seize on the new bolts when I installed them so, hopefully, they won't rust again.

Oddly, the right side came out with no problem. I used penetrating oil (48 hours soaking) and heat on both sides as I read enough horror stories on this forum.

Newbomb Turk (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Newbomb Turk
1st Gear
So I spent another day drilling, found two broken easy-outs in the end the bolt head was. What a biotch. I put a 7/16 grade 8 flange bolt with lock nut on it with anti-seize on reassembly. This thing should ride great when it’s back together. At the end of the day today, I started on the passenger side. I’ve been squirting the passenger side down 3 times a day for the last three days with PB Blaster, so I had to see what tomorrow was gonna be. I heated the surrounding area around the bolt with a torch, used a 6 point impact socket with breaker bar and 5’ pipe. Snapped the bolt. Time and money are a issue at the moment, so I’ll be drilling again tomorrow after breakfast. Should go much faster without the easy-out pieces that kept breaking my drill bits. I know what Im up against now.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:46 AM
Newbomb Turk
1st Gear
Well it’s been a couple days since I posted last. First thing I did this time was purchase some titanium drill bits. Unbelievable difference that made but was still a struggle. Noticed the passenger side axle was junk so I picked up a new one. I went on line to see what it was gonna take to install the chassis kit, which includes both control arms with bushings, four ball joints, tie rods and swaybar links. The rear bushing that the control arms fit into are gonna be a real PITA. You have to drop the subframe in order to get to the top of the bolts. WTF... the engineers should be shot for this design. They say it’s about $600 to have professionally installed At this point, not sure what I’m gonna do. Looks like some of the guys cut the old bushing out and press the new one in, using a home made press in the OEM bracket. The one video I saw that dropped the subframe, then replaced complete bush with bracket, it didn’t have a engine in it. I don’t have a subframe tool (a jig setup above the engine that holds everything up). Not sure what I’m going to do. I need more coffee... maybe a bourbon

Old 07-31-2018, 07:28 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
...Looks like some of the guys cut the old bushing out and press the new one in, using a home made press in the OEM bracket.
That's what I did.
Not overly difficult.

Use a Sawzall with a long metal cutting blade and carefully cut through the outer metal sidewall of the bushing (along bottom) just enough to separate the metal, but not cut into the carrier. From there, drive the old bushing out with an air hammer, chisel, screwdriver, long punch or whatever means you have at your disposal.

To press the new bushings in (I recommend Powerflex), I put together a simple unit for a few dollars at the hardware store using a 12" length of 5/8" threaded rod, a couple 3/4" pipe flanges and some nuts/washers.

Newbomb Turk (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Fun stuff! I know it well...
Might be easier to just find a couple used knuckles and swap 'em out...

Read about my travails in THIS thread.
+1

There are plenty of vendors here on NAM that have knuckles on the cheap. When my Pinch Bolt broke, I spent hours and many drill bits, still not able to get it out. Save yourself time and foul language and get a used knuckle...

Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Well it’s been a couple days since I posted last. First thing I did this time was purchase some titanium drill bits. Unbelievable difference that made but was still a struggle. Noticed the passenger side axle was junk so I picked up a new one. I went on line to see what it was gonna take to install the chassis kit, which includes both control arms with bushings, four ball joints, tie rods and swaybar links. The rear bushing that the control arms fit into are gonna be a real PITA. You have to drop the subframe in order to get to the top of the bolts. WTF... the engineers should be shot for this design. They say it’s about $600 to have professionally installed At this point, not sure what I’m gonna do. Looks like some of the guys cut the old bushing out and press the new one in, using a home made press in the OEM bracket. The one video I saw that dropped the subframe, then replaced complete bush with bracket, it didn’t have a engine in it. I don’t have a subframe tool (a jig setup above the engine that holds everything up). Not sure what I’m going to do. I need more coffee... maybe a bourbon

Since you're removing most of the front end already, you can remove the LCA bushings without removing the subframe, I did it. I LOWERED the subframe. Used a ratchet wrench to remove the bolts for the inner ball joints, if you're already took the axles off, that makes it that much easier. I had to maneuver the axles up to get to the inner ball joint bolts off. I purchased the LCA removal tool, think it was about $50. The only problem I wound up having was getting the control arms back into the bushings. There are lips on both the LCA bushing carrier and the control arm, grab a pair of pliers and pinch them together, simple. Took me several hours of foul language to come up with that. The other side was a breeze once I figured that out. I tried the sawzall method, didn't work for me. I used the LCA Bushing tool to remove the old bushing, came right out. I would imagine the Home Made Bushing tool would work in that manner as well. Good luck with whatever you decide. Now that I think about it, the home made tool will not be able to remove the bushing, the LCA tool has a cup type of device that fits over the LCA bushing carrier. You tread the bolt through the cup device and the side with the washer pulls the bushing into the cup device as you tighten it.

Last edited by gumbedamit; 07-31-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Newbomb Turk
1st Gear
I decided while I had everything out, axles, control arms, etc, etc. I would lower the front sub frame bolts, (not take them out completely) and remove the 6 rear bolts and lower it with my bike jack, then remove the bushings complete. Ordered the drivers side axle while I was at it. It was junk as well. I see the shop I use to change the oil, just leaves the mess. I’m gonna have to say something about that. Everything was just covered with oil. Pissed me off. This rusty little buggy of bolts has been getting the better of me for about four days now. I think my luck will change tomorrow. Both rear bushing centers rubber fell out with the control arms. The videos on YouTube sure have helped. One guy had his engine out, which made it much easier to see what was what, however a pain in the butt to work on, while engine is in. I thought about ordering just the bushings to press in, but I already had the chassis kit which included the bushings in their housings. Should go pretty smooth I hope, all the rusty parts are gone. I’m pretty slow at this, I take my time. I had a total hip replacement 6 mos ago and a disc removed from my back 6 weeks before the hip. The car had a bad blend door actuator that I needed to change, I did that also. That wasn’t as bad as i thought it was gonna be. After taking the glove box out, it was behind a metal brace that goes completely across the dash. I saw that and thought “holy crap”. But looking closer at it, the actuator was mounted with three screws to another piece of plastic, which just clips into place. I think it took longer to get my 280lb broken body upside down in the passenger seat, with my shoulders in the foot well. Even though I ***** a lot, I really do enjoy the challenge. After this Mini, will be my daughters timing chain tensioner in her 08 Scion Tc, then my sons 318ti again. Well, we’ll see what tomorrow brings. I feel optimistic.