Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Warning lights... Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:38 PM
Songman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning lights... Need help.

Can anyone help shed some light on these two warning lights? No pun intended?
The dealer says they are because someone installed some aftermarket lights in the car. I figure that if someone is making an aftermarket light, they surely make a resistor kit or something to make it work correctly, if needed. These warnings come on randomly, and are accompanied by a chime when they appear. The caution triangle, down by the odometer, stays on all the time.
I'm at a loss here, since I am new to Minis.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:38 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Walk around the car and check all the lights are working. Have any been replaced by LEDs? You can add resistors, but recoding would be a better option.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 AM
Songman
1st Gear
Yes, all of the lights are working. I just bought the car, so am not familiar with what has been done. When I took it back into the dealer to check it, their prognosis was that aftermarket lights were in it... presumably LEDs or something.When I bought it, the ad said it had Xenon headlights in it. Not sure if that was stock or whatever. It also does a strange thing when I turn the lights on. For about 5 seconds, all of the lights cycle like the lights on an ambulance. It's kinda cool, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to do it or not.

Is recoding something that the dealer does? Like programming the ECM?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:21 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Songman
Yes, all of the lights are working. I just bought the car, so am not familiar with what has been done. When I took it back into the dealer to check it, their prognosis was that aftermarket lights were in it... presumably LEDs or something.When I bought it, the ad said it had Xenon headlights in it. Not sure if that was stock or whatever. It also does a strange thing when I turn the lights on. For about 5 seconds, all of the lights cycle like the lights on an ambulance. It's kinda cool, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to do it or not.

Is recoding something that the dealer does? Like programming the ECM?
If you can physically see the lights all flash when the car turns on, you likely have LED bulbs installed, since they will light up with minimal voltage application. Since halogen bulbs require a "warm" up time to illuminate, you won't see the flashing.

By the way, the car submits a voltage pulse during start-up and monitors the feedback to determine if a bulb is out. Halogen bulbs will not illuminate during the start-up routine, but LED bulbs will. LED bulbs will also return different feedback tot he control module, which will then illuminate the "Bulb Out" error.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Songman
1st Gear
This is what I mean when I say the lights flash when I start the car...

This happens when I start the car with the headlights in the on position. If the headlight switch is off when the car is started, it does not do it. In my opinion, this has to be something someone added, and it's probably causing the warning lights. It's not throwing any codes that my code reader can see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k719nwq30ukntjb/Minilights.mp4?dl=0

Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Completely normal for the lights to flash with LEDs and for the lamp out light to be on. Have it coded and all will be well

Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Songman
1st Gear
Okay. Wonder why the dealer didn't tell me that. I assume the dealer has to recode it?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:21 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nope you can buy replacement led bulbs and they work just fine. But because of how little volts these bulbs require they cause the ecu to think the bulb is out. If you get Carly you can make the bulb out light go away.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:18 AM
thinkMINI
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have these same warning lights, and I know it's because I'm now using LED fogs and scuttle lights. Dealer has told me they would need to add resistors, costing hundreds.

What's Carly?