Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

04 Broken mini - not cranking, No power at F5 fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM
rebecker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Broken mini - not cranking, No power at F5 fuse

Bought my wife her first mini yesterday 2004. She has been after me for a long time. Got a deal on it (1200.) due to the fact that it did not start. The young man that told me that it needed ECU, he said that after installing a aftermarket radio the car would not start.(pic of harness he cut up)
Checked all fuses F5 has no power and the pic on the back of the panel looks like guadeg'es but searching the old inter-web some one said its starter (don't think so) another says ac fans? So I repaired the harness that he hacked up ( sodering and shrink tube) and re installed the factory radio. Then reset the ECU using test 21. Still wont start.going to check neutral safety switch tonight, and see about jumping starter to see if starter is good. was looking into ECU being bad found a place in Fl 375.00 to repair ECU if it comes to that. Any ideas would be welcomed something i didn't think of.

Attached Thumbnails 04 Broken mini - not cranking, No power at F5 fuse-img_1362.jpg   04 Broken mini - not cranking, No power at F5 fuse-img_1366.jpg  
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
I absolutely hate when people butcher in aftermarket radios! Sheesh, this person had no clue, when he "modded the wiring harness!"
Keep us posted on your progress and what it took to fix it!
He may have shorted something in the ecu, sadly, that can be a PITA to get worked out!
Re-programing the ecu is a tricky operation, that has no area for mistakes and requires a 90 amp battery charger and a rock solid internet line, with dealer quality programming tool.
There are a few reputable companies doing that.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:43 AM
cavaliers60
2nd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would check ALL your fuses. That is the worst wire job I’ve ever seen... does it even try to turn over? Any signs of life from anything?

Old 05-18-2018, 11:00 AM
rebecker
Neutral
No start

So i have checked all fuse power to all but F5 ( 5 amp ), don't know what it goes to. Looks like gauge's (emblem on inside of fuse cover) All dash lights work. Oil PSI pegs out when i turn on ignition. Is that suppose to happen? Key FOB locks doors. No noise when I try to turn it over. Going to try to jump starter relay tonight and see what happens.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM
Goldsmithy
MINI Alliance Ambassador
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rebecker
So i have checked all fuse power to all but F5 ( 5 amp ), don't know what it goes to. Looks like gauge's (emblem on inside of fuse cover) All dash lights work. Oil PSI pegs out when i turn on ignition. Is that suppose to happen? Key FOB locks doors. No noise when I try to turn it over. Going to try to jump starter relay tonight and see what happens.
Does this car have an 'added' oil pressure gauge as no oil pressure gauge came stock, just an idiot light. If it does, the wires on the gauge from the sending unit and the power source are reversed.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:42 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

My God did he butcher those wires

Old 05-19-2018, 04:51 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Where in NC you located?

On fuses, item # 23 in the below thread will provide you information on the all the fuses and relays. Item # 15 will link you to wiring schematics.

Goldsmithy has a very good comment on the oil pressure.

Will not start, does that mean it turns over or nothing at all? Sounds as if you have a auto so yes check out any lock out switch including the immobilizer.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html

Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 AM
rebecker
Neutral
ECU doctors

Opened up the ECU and looks like previous owner had been in the ECU and broke the ribbon to the pins. Going to send off ECU, Key fob, and EWS off to Oakland Park Florida for repairs. Has any one used these guys? http://www.ecudoctors.com/ .
375.00 to fix ECU and a 5 year warranty.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:53 PM
rebecker
Neutral
Fayetteville Nc

Old 05-25-2018, 05:15 PM
rebecker
Neutral
So got ecu ews and key back and got it all back in the car, She is alive!!! Went to back it out the shop and nothing. code p0705 poped up. neutral safety switch. found where to fill trans fluid and put in 2 1/2 qts. She drives. Found antifreze leak on heater core tube.Will have to soder that as soon as i can get to it. Trans is leaking around bell housing, Could be input seal. Looks like an engine pull and split the pack. When i drove it left turn making bad noise sounded like rotor. Pulled wheel and the nut for the Cv joint is missing. visit to junk yard.