Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

No go turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:35 PM
Lager66
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No go turbo

hi guys, posted this somewhere else in the forum, obviously not in the right place...but anyway... got a cooper s 08, had from new, got 104 kms on the clock, has been running rough for a while, lots of misfiring when cold, everything points to intake valve gunk so stripped down manifold and sure enough horrible mess, cleaned it all up with pick,screwdriver, carbon cleaner and air hose, took me two days with a mini camera down the ports but pretty happy with my careful but crude approach, put it all back together, thought I’d flush it through with sea foam just to make sure, after a test drive car ran beautifully but no turbo activation, after on line researching and visual engine checks decided to pull it down again, built it back up slowly double checking everything as I went, after finishing installation and another test drive still the same.... back on line... gotta be a leaky pipe somewhere.. the only items I didn’t replace was the manifold gaskets cos they looked good, only cos after a trip to my car shop, changed oil and filter at the same time, they didn’t stock the gaskets, had to wait 3days, impatience prevailed, did I screw up? Could this be why I ain’t got no boost? Also found the large tube linking air box to the turbo had a split in the bottom, but that’s got a rubber seal inside so couldn’t hear any hissing from that area, also got an engine light on dash showing half filled engine symbol​​​​​​, ordered new gaskets today and thinking of changing out diverter valve, should have mentioned turbo was good before intake manifold tear down, put me mit inside, spins smooth with no play, what do u guys reckon? What am I missing?

Old 04-23-2018, 05:43 PM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The turbo waste gate is activated (closed) by vacuum. No vacuum to the actuator on the turbo will result in no boost. The likely cause of no boost is either a vacuum tube was removed and not replaced or you did not replace the connector on the pressure converter, which is item #2 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3982

Given that the vacuum tubes age out and collapse, replacing them is strongly recommended.

I suppose the diverter could have spontaneously stuck open during the valve cleaning procedure, but that seems really farfetched.

The intake gaskets are very robust and if they had failed you would not have a "beautifully" running engine.

If you intend work on Minis get a code reader.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:30 PM
Lager66
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, tracked it back to a pipe popped off the vacuum tank, put it all back together, went for a test drive...Wow, runs like a freight train!!!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:52 AM
thefarside
4th Gear
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Lager66
Thanks for the info, tracked it back to a pipe popped off the vacuum tank, put it all back together, went for a test drive...Wow, runs like a freight train!!!

Consider replacing vacuum lines that slip off without a fight, it is almost always an indication of tired rubber.