Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cleared Timing Codes, Now No Issues???

Old 03-26-2018, 04:30 PM
gingerandodie7
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleared Timing Codes, Now No Issues???

This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Can anyone give their two cents as to what may be going on?

2012 Mini Cooper S Hatchback. The car has about 55,000 miles on it.

I had scheduled maintenance due in February. On Feb 1, my CEL came on. I figured that was normal, and scheduled the service.

Car got new spark plugs, but no other big work. CEL was still on and Mini would not diagnose for free.

A few days later the car was sputtering at start, and the half engine cut-off light came on. Power was cut to 50% and the shaking was pretty crazy. Obviously something wrong with the car.

I grabbed a scan tool and found p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, and p0304.

No other codes. I cleared the codes and now the car runs fine.

I wonder if the CEL was due to the spark plugs needing to be changed, and the dealer would not reset the codes. Now that the codes were reset the car runs the way it's supposed to???

Seems far fetched and I feel like I have no idea what I'm talking about. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks all!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:17 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the world of Mini lol....keep an eye on the oil

Old 03-26-2018, 05:39 PM
sawicki
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gingerandodie7
This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Can anyone give their two cents as to what may be going on?

2012 Mini Cooper S Hatchback. The car has about 55,000 miles on it.

I had scheduled maintenance due in February. On Feb 1, my CEL came on. I figured that was normal, and scheduled the service.

Car got new spark plugs, but no other big work. CEL was still on and Mini would not diagnose for free.

A few days later the car was sputtering at start, and the half engine cut-off light came on. Power was cut to 50% and the shaking was pretty crazy. Obviously something wrong with the car.

I grabbed a scan tool and found p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, and p0304.

No other codes. I cleared the codes and now the car runs fine.

I wonder if the CEL was due to the spark plugs needing to be changed, and the dealer would not reset the codes. Now that the codes were reset the car runs the way it's supposed to???

Seems far fetched and I feel like I have no idea what I'm talking about. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks all!
Those codes are for misfires, The P300is for random misfire. My bet is HPFP

Old 03-26-2018, 05:53 PM
gingerandodie7
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Welcome to the forum and the world of Mini lol....keep an eye on the oil
Thank M2B! Mini Ontario said I had a leak at the front main seal, but two trusted mechanics could not find anything. I'll check on my own. Good idea!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:55 PM
gingerandodie7
Neutral
Originally Posted by sawicki
Those codes are for misfires, The P300is for random misfire. My bet is HPFP
Does one not normally see 300 along with 301-304? I expected 300 was "problem!" and 301-304 was "problem here:"

How can I get a guage on the HPFP? I know in CA it is warranted to 70,000 miles or more, but with no codes now, and good running engine, how do I move forward?

Just wait and see what happens next?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:14 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Not really sure on the Hpfp , I think you would see other problems before it got to the misfire part, but I guess it’s possible’

I think I would be checking the plugs ‘ Just to see what they look like , possible the tech drop a plug, ducking it up !

If you double check them just make sure you torque them’ when putting them back in

20 - 22 ft lb, or 1/4 turn after plug 'bottoms' out, I’m pretty positive that’s for the n18 as well I would double check

Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 AM
gingerandodie7
Neutral
This is a great forum guys, thanks. I used to troll around the Hyundai Tiburon forums a LOOOONG time ago. Brings me back! Cars were easier to fix back then haha

Old 03-27-2018, 05:22 PM
BigBoost
4th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
The problem with the HPFP’ it can be very hard to diagnose, in most cases it’s pretty easy, if lucky you’ll get all the classic symptoms of a bad pump! In other cases, people spend lots of money and lots of time trying to hunt down. If the dealer can’t replicate the problem it’s not covered under warranty because it’s technically not a warranty item anyways, it’s a TSB,

In my case I was getting thermostat housing/temp sensor codes , so I replace the hole housing unit. Clear the codes and drove fine for about a week! same codes came back so I would just clear them & it would take it out of limp mode’ then I started noticing anything over 4500 rpm’s I was getting really bad detonation. But it was not throwing any codes, so I did ever thing I could think of , put new plugs new coils ‘ then we thought maybe it was the tune’ want around an around on the tune idea ‘long store short after a few months of dicking with it’ I replaced the in tank pump new fuel filter an the HPFP an it fixed the problem

It’s a fun little game hahahahahah

Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 PM
jackski2
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When my wife's HPFP went, everything big boost said happened. I did put dash command on it and watched the pressure. I noticed that not only was the pressure a little lower than it used to be at various times but it dropped quite a bit more than it used to just as you gave it gas. The newer Bosch pump on my car has no drop ever.
Try monitoring it for a while.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:36 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum gingerandodie7

I'm still learning so I'm seeing what is discussed.