Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Serpentine Belt Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:08 PM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serpentine Belt Wear

So I just purchased this 2005 S Convertible. It only has 62,000 miles on it but it needs some TLC. The serpentine belt was cracked and worn on the back side so I decided to replace it today. The install went weird, the tensioner when flexed back would not let me lock it into position. The metal piece with the holes is completely loose in side the spring, so I had the wife hold the bar while removing and installing the new belt. After installing the new belt I could smell it burning up as it began to wear on the back side just as the old one was worn, on the inside towards the engine. The tensioner does not seem loose, is not rattling, but I am thinking that that metal piece with the holes should be attached. All the pulleys spin freely without play. So should I replace the tensioner? Obviously something is off here.
New belt

Old Belt

Thank you for your help,

Old 03-11-2018, 05:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
check the crank pulley. Start it up and see if the face of the crank pulley is turning but not the belt grooves. This is a very common failure and would smell like burning rubber.

We only use the ATI damper when we replace them.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
MiniBlunt (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 07:19 PM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
check the crank pulley. Start it up and see if the face of the crank pulley is turning but not the belt grooves. This is a very common failure and would smell like burning rubber.

We only use the ATI damper when we replace them.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html
Would that damage the outside of the belt? I just put this belt in and its tearing up the outside of the belt, grooves are good. I'll reinstall and check the crank pulley tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:42 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
as way said check the crank pulley but it also sounds like you need a new tensioner and while your in there it wouldn't hurt to replace the idler pulley as well. if your damper is starting to go replace it before it dose any damage to your timing cover.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:02 AM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
Crank Pulley is good, hopefully its the tensioner.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:00 PM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
The tensioner was definitely bad, pulled it off today the whole thing fell apart after I unbolted it. Now I put the new tensioner with new belt and released tension. The belt is too loose, is flaps a little and I’m getting squeal. It’s definitely routed correctly, any ideas on why it is loose. Oh and I double checked the belt model and actually went and purchased a second. Both loose.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:59 AM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBlunt
The tensioner was definitely bad, pulled it off today the whole thing fell apart after I unbolted it. Now I put the new tensioner with new belt and released tension. The belt is too loose, is flaps a little and I’m getting squeal. It’s definitely routed correctly, any ideas on why it is loose. Oh and I double checked the belt model and actually went and purchased a second. Both loose.
Heres a link to the belt routing.
​​​​​​https://new.minimania.com/images_tem...me5014-02a.jpg
Also did you replace the idler pulley? When you replace it there are two holes it will fit in. you want it in the upper forward hole. Also does the the super charger have an upgraded pulley on it if so the belt the part store will give you will be wrong. If your talking O'Reilly they seem to have the wrong belt on file.

I copied this list from out motoring.
gates: #060406 =1050mm = stock Cooper belt
gates: #060547 =1404mm = stock Cooper S belt
gates: #060539 = 1385mm = ok for stock OR w/ 15% pulley or 17% pulley
gates: #060535 = 1379mm = best w/ 15% (and with either the 0% or 2% crank pulley)
​​​​​​O'Reilly can get you the right belt just add a k to the beginning of the gates part number. It will still be a gates belt they just have there own part number system.

Last edited by jasonp; 03-18-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:13 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
When I was doing a recent refresh on many wear and tear items I discovered that my idler was quite worn; however, it wasn't obvious until I took it off and noticed considerable widening of the hole through which the mounting bolt passes.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:14 PM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
Originally Posted by jasonp
Heres a link to the belt routing.
​​​​​​https://new.minimania.com/images_tem...me5014-02a.jpg
Also did you replace the idler pulley? When you replace it there are two holes it will fit in. you want it in the upper forward hole. Also does the the super charger have an upgraded pulley on it if so the belt the part store will give you will be wrong. If your talking O'Reilly they seem to have the wrong belt on file.

I copied this list from out motoring.
gates: #060406 =1050mm = stock Cooper belt
gates: #060547 =1404mm = stock Cooper S belt
gates: #060539 = 1385mm = ok for stock OR w/ 15% pulley or 17% pulley
gates: #060535 = 1379mm = best w/ 15% (and with either the 0% or 2% crank pulley)
​​​​​​O'Reilly can get you the right belt just add a k to the beginning of the gates part number. It will still be a gates belt they just have there own part number system.
Thank you! I ended up getting a smaller belt and it works great now. I just bought this car, it’s possible it has an upgraded pully .

Old 03-20-2018, 03:44 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear

Thank you! I ended up getting a smaller belt and it works great now. I just bought this car, it’s possible it has an upgraded pully .
So heres a link to a picture of a supper charger with the factory pulley.
​​​​​​https://www.waymotorworks.com/r53-co...ercharger.html

Most after market ones will look similar to the one in this link.
​​​​​​https://www.waymotorworks.com/15-sup...ulley-wmw.html

or this one.
​​​​​​http://altaperformance.com/i-1569218...reduction.html

If you don't have the upgraded pulley I cant recommended it enough. I had to replace my supper charger and splurged a little while ordering it and man I cant seem to wipe this dang grin off of my face. The little extra power is nice and really makes the car zip.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 PM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
So heres a link to a picture of a supper charger with the factory pulley.
​​​​​​https://www.waymotorworks.com/r53-co...ercharger.html

Most after market ones will look similar to the one in this link.
​​​​​​https://www.waymotorworks.com/15-sup...ulley-wmw.html

or this one.
​​​​​​http://altaperformance.com/i-1569218...reduction.html

If you don't have the upgraded pulley I cant recommended it enough. I had to replace my supper charger and splurged a little while ordering it and man I cant seem to wipe this dang grin off of my face. The little extra power is nice and really makes the car zip.
Mine doesn’t really look like any of those.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear

Mine doesn’t really look like any of those.
Not sure what percentage it is but that is an upgraded pulley.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:04 PM
MiniBlunt
Neutral
Not sure what percentage it is but that is an upgraded pulley.
I thought so after having to buy a smaller belt and how quick it feels. The first time I really opened it up I chirped second good and was very surprised by the speed.