Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

oil pressure issues at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
oil pressure issues at idle

So I may be posting this in the wrong place if so sorry mods.

My issue is this i lose all oil pressure once the car is warmed up at idle. i get the warning light, the built in gauge goes to 0 as well as my after market mechanical gauge that i added to try and help diagnose this issue.
So I have replace the pressure switch and all seems intact in the oil housing. It has a mann filter in it.

So to add to that all this started after I did a lot work. I replaced the oil pan gasket, timing cover gasket, oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, and a few other o ring's, I also installed a rebuilt super charger from way motor works.

I'm at my wits end at this point not sure where to go now.

Any advice would be great.

thanks in advance

Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area, should get some more views there. The more information you provide the better chance we have of the dart hitting the board, as this is long distance diagnosing.

How many miles on the car? Did you change the filter when you did the work? The spring valve within the filter housing is still intact? The screen on the bottom of the oil pump is clean? The oil filter housing gasket was not pinched when you installed the new one?

Old 03-04-2018, 06:56 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear
so the car has 110,000 on it, its on the 3rd filter I had a hard time finding a mann on the weekend turns out the napa down the road had one. Both bits in the bottom of the housing seem to be in place. the oil filter housing isn't leaking in any way so I feel it must be installed correctly. I cleaned everything up very well when I had the pump off. I also inspected the pickup and made sure it wasn't clogged.
I'm at a loss at this point. here is a pick of the housing

Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Read and understand this if you haven't already. It may be your problem. Also make sure the oil filter is not installed backwards, as some managed to.

https://new.minimania.com/MINI__02_0...roblem___Hints

Old 03-05-2018, 05:21 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
remove the valve cover and pour oil across the head and on the springs. hand rotate the car so you dont stress the bearings. be patient and keep spinning.

i had same issue with my 08 MCS. a friend of mine suggested I do that ^ and I was good.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:47 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
timing cover gasket

OP replaced the timing cover gasket. There are two oil pump o-ring/gaskets which may be dropped or harden. They most likely would be fine if he didn't pull the cover. I wonder if that is the cause. Low temp oil at high viscosity = pressure. Hot oil at low viscosity = low pressure because it leaks away at o-rings.

#3 and #4 are for the oil pump

Lastly there is a pressure regulator at the pump, which I would think rarely fails.

The following users liked this post:
jasonp (03-11-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:52 AM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
OP replaced the timing cover gasket. There are two oil pump o-ring/gaskets which may be dropped or harden. They most likely would be fine if he didn't pull the cover. I wonder if that is the cause. Low temp oil at high viscosity = pressure. Hot oil at low viscosity = low pressure because it leaks away at o-rings.

#3 and #4 are for the oil pump

Lastly there is a pressure regulator at the pump, which I would think rarely fails.
I did replace the o ring and prime the pump but I was thinking mabey something may have gone wrong in there

Old 03-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
The black plastic part inside the oil filter housing... does it press down? I had one fail in the 2005 S. I was changing the 710 fluid and the darn thing came out with the filter. It does have a spring in it. They don't fail often. The place I take my MINI's to was shocked to see it out of the filter housing. I was unable to find just that part.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:35 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
The black plastic part inside the oil filter housing... does it press down? I had one fail in the 2005 S. I was changing the 710 fluid and the darn thing came out with the filter. It does have a spring in it. They don't fail often. The place I take my MINI's to was shocked to see it out of the filter housing. I was unable to find just that part.
yes it presses down I'm at a loss I wish there was a way to test this. I'm thinking of heading to the mini dealer and get a filter from them. I can't help but thinking it has to be something with that darn oil filter housing.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
If you determine it's the filter housing, can I buy your old one from you? I'm trying to figure out a solution to this, it seems to happening more and more to us.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 PM
jasonp
2nd Gear
presser problem solved

so I pulled the oil filter housing off and double checked everything there and all seemed well. so I decided it had to be something with the timing cover or the oil pump. I decided to pull timing cover and I kept in mind what pnwR53S had to say and as I pulled the timing cover off keeping an eye on things, I found the o ring/gasket on the outlet side of the pump #3 in the diagram was nowhere to be found. It must have fallen off some how while I was installing the cover. So I pulled the pump out and cleaned everything up real well and used a little assembly grease to hold the o ring in place as it didn't hold in its slot as well as the inlet gasket.

I just want to thank everyone for their advice it was all very helpful. And a very big Thank you to pnwR53S I would have never thought that that o ring/ gasket would have fallen off during install.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:44 AM
DamnCampers
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sarom058
If you determine it's the filter housing, can I buy your old one from you? I'm trying to figure out a solution to this, it seems to happening more and more to us.
i came across this post on another site in regards to the drain back plunger http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f26/...12-fix-119169/
i haven't tried it myself, but I saved it for future reference in case ever needed it.