Time for a new oil filler cap? - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Time for a new oil filler cap?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:17 PM
1st Gear

Time for a new oil filler cap?

Just got my valve seal replaced on my 2009 JCW and noticed what I believe to be oil build up on my valve cover (replaced last year as it was warped) around the PCV system. With a little close up investigating, there looks to be also some oil up along the sides of the oil filler cap seat. I have pictures below.

What do you all think. Time for a new valve cover (again) or just a filler cap?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 PM
2nd Gear

The second pic of your oil filler cap doesn't seem to be sitting flush. The first pic doesn't appear to be related to your oil filler cap though. If you are considering new valve cover, there are many Chinese knock off ones on eBay now that start at about $125. Even if they don't last that long, way cheaper than the OEM Mini cover.

-nels
Old 02-08-2018, 04:31 AM
5th Gear

Looks very light to me. I would try cleaning it up really good, then keeping an eye on it to see how much is actually coming out and where it’s coming from. Is possible a little bit of oil from a clumsy oil change?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:03 AM
4th Gear

Might I suggest, as mentioned, clean it up, plus change the oil cap seal and see it this was it. Should beable to get one locally at an auto parts store.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Platinum Sponsor

By the looks it looks like the valve cover, I would clean it out and they check it again. Make sure that cap is on tight. If the oil does not look like it dripped down on the back side i would say valve cover.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lve-cover.html

Oil cap is inserted a certain way and then turns tight. Should be flush. 11127572848 make sure the gasket is still there and not cut or damaged. Compare it to our pics.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...h/11127572848/

Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-13-2018 at 06:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ECSTuning For This Useful Post:
mzacherle (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

I did a wipe down and signs are pointing to the valve cover. Which is disappointing since I replaced it just last year as a fix to a warped one. From what I can tell the oil is spreading across the cover passenger to driver side. There is a bit of a leak coming from the driver side at front of the cover. The most of the oil cam be seen around the pcv block and at the back of the cover. There also seems to be some oil, not subatantial, on the pcv line fitment.

Here are some new photos.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

So I want to say I have narrowed the leak to the pcv line fitment area. I am not sure if it is the fitment, the o-ring gasket on the fitment, or the female portion on the valve cover. The only thing I notice is that the fitment can be wiggled easily and three is some oil in the area where the clip is attached to the line. Could someone tell me if theirs moves like mine?

It is not as evident in my photos, but there is between 1/32" play.

Me pulling the line.

Me pushing the line away. Note the small gap at the lower portion of the flange.

Pull

Push

Last edited by mzacherle; 02-12-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nels415 View Post
The second pic of your oil filler cap doesn't seem to be sitting flush. The first pic doesn't appear to be related to your oil filler cap though. If you are considering new valve cover, there are many Chinese knock off ones on eBay now that start at about $125. Even if they don't last that long, way cheaper than the OEM Mini cover.

-nels
Yeah, that just seems to be the way it sits on the valve cover. I replaced the original cover with this one from ECS tuning about 1 year ago. If not the cover I am curious if it could be the PCV hose.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaremka View Post
Looks very light to me. I would try cleaning it up really good, then keeping an eye on it to see how much is actually coming out and where it’s coming from. Is possible a little bit of oil from a clumsy oil change?
Thats what I though at first, but the area has been spreading since I got it back from the dealer. Started at just by the passenger side most spark tube and has spread to almost the full other side.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Platinum Sponsor

Its has a little bit of play on mine but no leaks, might be the clip or the O ring? Also make sure the bolts around the outside of the valve cover are tight and torque to spec.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-problems.html Post #8

Old 02-13-2018, 05:17 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Its has a little bit of play on mine but no leaks, might be the clip or the O ring? Also make sure the bolts around the outside of the valve cover are tight and torque to spec.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-problems.html Post #8

Thanks ECS, good advice. I'll check the torque on the bolts tonight. I've cleaned the house connector and am going to watch it over the next couple of days to see if that is the culprit. If it is seeping elsewhere, it may be time for a third valve cover.