Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM
fourpaws
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Replacement

I have a 04 MCS, 6 speed Manual Transmission, 160k miles. Whenever I start pressing down on the clutch, I can hear a squeeking noise, when the clutch is fully depressed it becomes louder, and has nasty thunking elements to the sound. I bought the vehicle used, so I don't have a full history on it. But no clutch job in the last 50k miles.

So, I guess my throwout bearing is going out. So I guess I do a full clutch job on it, since I don't know when it was last done. I'm planning on following mod mini's video on clutch replacement. I'll also do the supercharger oil change since I'll have the vehicle mostly disassembled. I've just got a few questions...

I was thinking of doing the Valeo Single Mass flywheel. Can I get by leaving my dual mass flywheel in, or is it due for replacing?

Outside of fluids, what gaskets do I need to replace? I'll be removing the throttle assembly, so I'll need that gasket, and the two gaskets on the supercharger, plus the two orings for the water pump. I'll also replace the rear engine seal while I have it disassembled.

I was planning on getting the engine support bar style lift, to support the engine when I take the transmission out. But how do I attach it to the block? ModMini had a strip of metal he used, but I couldn't tell how thick it was, or really how it was shaped or anything. Suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Both of my right hand engine mounts were shot, and have been replaced already. Should I replace the mount on the transmission side as well?

What other parts inside the gearbox should I replace at the same time? I saw there was a bushing for the fork? The throwout bearing guide tube?

What other parts outside of the transmission should I consider? I'll examine the suspension and replace that as needed. I've replaced the leaky oil gaskets, and the engine mounts. I'm mostly worried about stuff that's a PITA to get to.

Thanks everyone for the help. This forum is an invaluable resource.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Well you can't put the valeo clutch on the dual mass flywheel as it is a different size and the pressure plate bolt pattern is different. So just use the entire valeo kit.
We have all the gaskets you need. But I agree water pump, flange, supercharger inlet should be all you need.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-...gaskets-seals/

I wouldn't bother with replacing the trans mount. You can add the powerflex insert to stiffen it up if you want.

Yes we do the clutch fork bushings and guide tube with each clutch job we do. https://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-...-transmission/

If you haven't done the control arm bushings or front suspension stuff since you will have the subframe out it is the perfect time to overlap the labor.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/powerf...ll-joints.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM
fourpaws
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks WMW. What I was trying to figure out is should I get a replacement stock clutch, and use my existing dual mass, or go for the Valeo kit.

Thanks for the heads up on the other items. I'll check out those parts, they are probably due for some love. I'll def get those clutch bushings.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by fourpaws
Thanks WMW. What I was trying to figure out is should I get a replacement stock clutch, and use my existing dual mass, or go for the Valeo kit.

Thanks for the heads up on the other items. I'll check out those parts, they are probably due for some love. I'll def get those clutch bushings.
You can put a stock clutch on it and likely be good as long as the flywheel isn't damaged or overheated. But if you need the flywheel the valeo is much more cost effective. We just do the valeo as we don't want a customer coming back 6months later with flywheel failed or noisey needing to do it all over again.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Here's what I used when I swapped my transmission this October.

Be really careful getting those input seals out and back in. Go slow, clean everything, and reassemble with gentle progressive taps around the edge. They're tricky without the right tool. Good luck!!

Also, pay very close attention when removing the throwout bearing. Look how the fork sits in the grooves before pulling it out, it took me a while to figure out how it goes back in. Finally, the Valeo SMF feels SO much better than the factory DMF. Highly recommend!