Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

ABS issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 PM
PhilliCooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS issues

I'm sorry to start a new thread as this has been beat to death but I searched and searched and couldn't find anything mimicking my issue. The usual all three lights were on and I got the codes being both front wheel sensors. I replaced both of them. Now, when I start the car the three lights are on. When I start moving they go off but only until I drive another few hundred feet or if I hit the brakes. If I hit the brakes then the ABS kicks in like I'm sliding and I'm not. This is holding me back from getting inspected and my stickers expired last month! Any ideas?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:17 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilliCooper
I'm sorry to start a new thread as this has been beat to death but I searched and searched and couldn't find anything mimicking my issue. The usual all three lights were on and I got the codes being both front wheel sensors. I replaced both of them. Now, when I start the car the three lights are on. When I start moving they go off but only until I drive another few hundred feet or if I hit the brakes. If I hit the brakes then the ABS kicks in like I'm sliding and I'm not. This is holding me back from getting inspected and my stickers expired last month! Any ideas?
There is a speed sensor on each wheel which ABS, speedo/odo, and ASC/DSC all use. Assuming the cause is from one of the two front wheels, just because you replaced both sensors does not mean you got to the bottom of the problem. There is the teethed tone ring that is a part of the hub. It can be the problem too.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
What type of sensors did you buy? Reason being that a guy bought a sensor still had the problem to only figure out the new sensor was also bad.

Just because something is in a new package does not mean the thing is not junk in today's world of low cost parts.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:28 PM
PhilliCooper
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
What type of sensors did you buy? Reason being that a guy bought a sensor still had the problem to only figure out the new sensor was also bad.

Just because something is in a new package does not mean the thing is not junk in today's world of low cost parts.
Autex is the brand.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:03 PM
PhilliCooper
1st Gear
I'm replacing both front hubs this weekend. Is there anything else I should look at while I have it apart?