Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Engine not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Engine not turning over

I'm parting out an R50 and have disconnected and sold a few things, non of which are engine related. After a few months, I have a buyer for the engine, and he wants to hear it crank before he buys it. I shot a video of it running to avoid this scenario, but he still wants to hear it in person.

So.. With the driver's seat, steering wheel/airbag, headlights, rear view mirror (which recognizes the fob), right airbag sensor, and a few other things removed, it wont turn over. The battery is in good shape, and I've tried jump starting just in case.

When I insert the key, and turn to position 2, something winds up and whines very loudly. The wipers and windows dont work right away, but as the whine goes away they start to work.

I want to say its something simple, but I'm baffled. Honestly, I never kept track of things I unplugged because I never planned on starting the engine ever again, but I want to say nothing important was disengaged.

Ideas?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
If he just wants to hear it crank, couldn't you hot wire the starter and get the engine to turn over?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:11 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
If he just wants to hear it crank, couldn't you hot wire the starter and get the engine to turn over?
Those kinds of shenanigans worked on my old Jeep CJ5. I’ve never tried that in a modern car, but seems logical. I said he wants to hear it crank, but I meant run.. I don’t think hotwiring the starter allow the motor to run, correct?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:18 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Running and cranking are two different things for sure. I would not even want to think about what type of hot wire harness you would need to get the thing running.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:45 PM
burley
6th Gear
Running and cranking are two different things for sure. I would not even want to think about what type of hot wire harness you would need to get the thing running.
I shot a video of it running and included the odometer, which reads the exact same mileage today when you stick the key in the ignition. I dont know what else you could ask for from a parts car. He's going to have to take a leap of faith.. I'm not going to problem solve this one.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:10 PM
thatminicarguy
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I would refer him to your great reputation on this site

Old 01-14-2018, 05:01 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
If the mileage is the same today as when the the video was created, IMO the guy has problems, not the engine.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 AM
burley
6th Gear
If the mileage is the same today as when the the video was created, IMO the guy has problems, not the engine.
LOL! Thats what I thought! I showed him service records and the video. Its not like vehicles spontaneously die at idle. Its a part out car, and there are hundreds of reasons why it might not run at this point. I dinked around in the garage till 1am trying to hook everything up with no joy.

I'm done, he can take a leap of faith or find another engine. I'm not spending another minute trying to get this running. Dont most people who sell engines have them sitting pallets??

Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
You could jump the two poles on the starter with a piece of wire, actually! As long as the battery is good, it should turn the starter over.

Edit: Ope, I'm dumb. You want it to start, not crank. Hmm..is it turning over with the key at all? Are you sure everything in the bay is plugged in--coil pack, grounds, injectors, etc?

Dont most people who sell engines have them sitting pallets??
And yes, they do. I've gone to look at 3 or 4 that have just been sitting inside of tires/pallets/etc.

Last edited by sarom058; 01-16-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:47 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Getting the starter to turn is the easy part, the question is whether the fuel pump, coil etc are all going to function.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:26 AM
burley
6th Gear
Getting the starter to turn is the easy part, the question is whether the fuel pump, coil etc are all going to function.
There’s a chance the gas line has air in it since I cut the line to use the part that connects to the fuel rail on my other cooper. I’ve reconnected it, and I know there’s pressure because for a moment before I tightened a clamp it sprayed gas, lol. I can hear anything when u turn the key. Not even a click.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM
sarom058
5th Gear
Location: Portland, OR *currently in a temporary email address
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
If you aren't getting a click, the starter solenoid isn't getting power.

Eliminate the starter first, because they seem to go bad from just sitting. A wire across the two poles will make it spin, if the solenoid is functioning.

If the starter works via hot-wire, then try fuses.
Next, check all your grounds.
Finally, double check all the wires are plugged in. I know it's silly, but who knows?

Also, the high pitch whine under the motor you hear when you turn the key is the P/S pump. The quiet low-pitch groan behind you when you first turn the key to pos2 is the fuel pump. Saw your comment earlier, just figured I'd clarify, for science