Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine cuts power briefly and randomly

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:39 AM
geofox784
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine cuts power briefly and randomly

One a month on average, sometimes more, the engine cuts out randomly. When it cuts, its only for a less than a second. The car jolts very sharply when this happens. The CEL will light up when the engine has stalled for that second, but the moment it stops the light goes away. When it happens it will usually happen once or twice more within a few minute period. Tachometer maintains the correct RPM (doesnt drop to 0).

No DTC or CEL codes stored.
If cruise control is activated it will deactivate cruise control.
Everything seems to be completely normal (no lag as far as I can tell, but I don't push it) right before and after the incident.
Happens on even the smoothest roads. I've been on plenty of very bumpy roads and it doesn't seem to induce the problem.

My guess is that it is a fuel supply issue because all 4 cylinders are effected.
I had my HPFP replaced about two years ago. The problem has been going on for about a year.

My OBD reader (bluetooth with torque app) that I have set up permanently will usually stop updating when it happens and I need to restart it. Kinda weird.

Thoughts? I can live with it, by my concern is that one day the engine will cut out, and then stay cut out.