Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Reset TPMS....CEL briefly came on. Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reset TPMS....CEL briefly came on. Why?

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before and if someone might know what caused it?

Yesterday I reset the TPMS after installing my winter wheel set and about 2 miles later, the CEL indicator lit up. Still had full power so I wasn't in limp mode or anything. Then about 2 miles later, the light disappeared. Hasn't come back since.

Is this normal occurance when resetting the TPMS?

Not sure how this would be related but I've got an akrapovic delete r installed...

Anyway, thanks for any insight!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:34 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cambo
Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before and if someone might know what caused it?

Yesterday I reset the TPMS after installing my winter wheel set and about 2 miles later, the CEL indicator lit up. Still had full power so I wasn't in limp mode or anything. Then about 2 miles later, the light disappeared. Hasn't come back since.

Is this normal occurance when resetting the TPMS?

Not sure how this would be related but I've got an akrapovic delete r installed...

Anyway, thanks for any insight!
Your CEL occurance is probably unrelated to the TPMS reset.
A million things can cause it, and the least exciting way to guesstimate is by reading the fault codes (if any) stored. Use your own tool, or see if Autozone or Pepboys can do it for you (dealer will try to charge 1 hr or labor just to get off their rear ends).

Is your akropovic donwpipe with, or w/out the cat?
Have you filled up with the corn-infused winter blend fuel lately?
All are possible (partial) triggers for the CEL.

a

Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
Your CEL occurance is probably unrelated to the TPMS reset.
A million things can cause it, and the least exciting way to guesstimate is by reading the fault codes (if any) stored. Use your own tool, or see if Autozone or Pepboys can do it for you (dealer will try to charge 1 hr or labor just to get off their rear ends).

Is your akropovic donwpipe with, or w/out the cat?
Have you filled up with the corn-infused winter blend fuel lately?
All are possible (partial) triggers for the CEL.

a
thanks for the response man...didn't think to still see if the code was stored; thought because the CEL disappeared there wouldn't be any codes to read--I do have my own tool too.

The DP has a cat, but it's a hi flow, so I still needed the delete-r to kill the related CEL.

Pretty sure we've got the winter blend around here too, MPGs have taken a good dive lately. anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'll check to see if any codes were stored.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:34 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
I've seen the warning light on during reset after install of my other wheels. Like you said, it is on for a few minutes, then goes off.

Mike

Old 12-26-2014, 03:46 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
I've seen the warning light on during reset after install of my other wheels. Like you said, it is on for a few minutes, then goes off.

Mike
ah ok...I take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one lol. It actually happened again today...and again, it went away before I could get home to my scanner. I'm just going to keep the scanner in my car so I can capture it next time...I'm dammit curious lol.

thanks for the response Mike!

Old 12-26-2014, 04:41 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by cambo
ah ok...I take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one lol. It actually happened again today...and again, it went away before I could get home to my scanner. I'm just going to keep the scanner in my car so I can capture it next time...I'm dammit curious lol.

thanks for the response Mike!
Go ahead and scan for a code, it should be stored. If it shows no codes stored, then it's probably a BMW specific code a generic scanner can't read.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:25 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Are you getting a 'tpms inactive' warning in the speedo? When it is very cold here (less than about 15 degrees F), I get a warning. If it gets above 30F the warning will reset itself.

I also had a body sensor going bad last winter. Whenever I got the light in the center stack, I always got a 'TPMS Inactive' message in the speedo.

Mike

Old 12-26-2014, 06:33 PM
cambo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Go ahead and scan for a code, it should be stored. If it shows no codes stored, then it's probably a BMW specific code a generic scanner can't read.
Interesting...there wasn't a stored code the first time...but I also waited a few weeks before trying to pull it. Maybe it expires after a while? I get my car back tomorrow and will see if something's stored. thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by mbwicz
Are you getting a 'tpms inactive' warning in the speedo? When it is very cold here (less than about 15 degrees F), I get a warning. If it gets above 30F the warning will reset itself.

I also had a body sensor going bad last winter. Whenever I got the light in the center stack, I always got a 'TPMS Inactive' message in the speedo.

Mike
Negative...no indicators other than the CEL..which by the way, I've learned, is enough to ruin my day by just seeing it come on.

Also, hasn't been that cold here (~35-40F)

Thanks!