Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Foot Well Module!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 05:51 PM
Apexhunter
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I got it fixed. At the recommendation from another Mini owner I checked eBay and found this guy in SoCal who did the job for $40. Can't beat that, the local foreign car repair shop wanted a minimum of $100 to diagnose and up to $1300 to "fix" the problem.
The guy I got tis from:
BMW MINI COOPER FRM3 MODULE FOOTWELL MODULE REPAIR SERVICE SHORT CIRCUIT

Old 01-10-2021, 04:13 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think MiniToBe checks this thread anymore but if he does or anyone else that has his level of experience does, I have a question. When these things seem to lose their mind, has something actually failed or has the non-volatile memory been corrupted? Mine has developed issues similar to what many describe but strangely enough, some functions seem to return on their own. My issues also started when I disconnected the battery to remove the D/S seat and install a subwoofer. I also disconnect the upper connector on the FRM to be able to route speaker wires and once everything was back together, my headlight were stuck on when the engine was running, emergency flashers did not work nor did left turn signal. Also had no tail, brake or dash lights.

The windows did work and I could connect to it with an OBD scanner and Carly app and at first it was reporting defective left and right tail lights. I cleared those errors, re-ran the test and they were back. I disconnected the battery and let the car sit overnight and when I came back and reconnected the battery, some functions returned. And the Carly app now showed no errors although I still did not have brake or tail lights nor left turn signal. Headlight control returned, flashers worked, dash lights too.

So I again disconnected the battery as well as the one connector on the LRM and will test again tomorrow.

FWIW, I don't have a sunroof and there's no evidence of water anywhere. And I doubt that ebay vendor is actually troubleshooting and replacing damaged components for $41

The following users liked this post:
GescomAe (07-30-2022)
Old 01-10-2021, 04:51 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Thank you for the mention

The best way I can describe what happens with frm is what happens with PCs when they through a blue screen. The main trigger seams to be a spike in voltage/current when the battery is jumped or disconnected.

the issue is pure software and unless there is physical damage, it will always be software, at lease that is what I've been dealing for far (I've done more than 10 mixed page including BMW FRMs). I do repair FRM3 (post 2009) which is done on the bench and I have my minis to test it too. FRM2 high eks (pre and including some 2009) can be reflashed or updated ON THE BENCH. These CAN be done outside of dealer intervention as previously mentioned. There are services on ebay (including mine) that care for them.

As far as your dilemma goes, it is possible, for whatever reason, that the FRM partially went koko depending on what sector of the memory got hit. I had a guy with FRM3 that his module was working perfectly but he wasn't able to code it via bimmercoding. After testing it on the bench it was partially corrupted. After the repair, bimmercoding wasn't able to code it, so we ended up upgrading the software for it to finally work.

finally, bmw/mini has an extended warranty and also check with the dealer before buying another unit.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:09 PM
pdeinc
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply with answers. I had read all two hundred plus responses on the other FRM thread but hadn't really seen specific answers to my questions. Do you think there's any chance the remaining functions will restore by themselves? Each day something else restores so am I holding out false hope? And you say you also repair FRMs in a similar state? Can you contact me through messaging to discuss this further?

Thanks again.
Ken

Old 09-15-2022, 02:59 PM
michwiththebadmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Thank you for the mention

The best way I can describe what happens with frm is what happens with PCs when they through a blue screen. The main trigger seams to be a spike in voltage/current when the battery is jumped or disconnected.

the issue is pure software and unless there is physical damage, it will always be software, at lease that is what I've been dealing for far (I've done more than 10 mixed page including BMW FRMs). I do repair FRM3 (post 2009) which is done on the bench and I have my minis to test it too. FRM2 high eks (pre and including some 2009) can be reflashed or updated ON THE BENCH. These CAN be done outside of dealer intervention as previously mentioned. There are services on ebay (including mine) that care for them.

As far as your dilemma goes, it is possible, for whatever reason, that the FRM partially went koko depending on what sector of the memory got hit. I had a guy with FRM3 that his module was working perfectly but he wasn't able to code it via bimmercoding. After testing it on the bench it was partially corrupted. After the repair, bimmercoding wasn't able to code it, so we ended up upgrading the software for it to finally work.

finally, bmw/mini has an extended warranty and also check with the dealer before buying another unit.

I have a mini clubman 2011, my footwell module was burnt out after being dropped at a auto audio place for CarPlay installment. I picked it up and the windows, tail light, locks etc don’t work and headlights don’t turn off! They also said I had water damage and it had nothing to do with them.. although from reading all of your replies I see that it’s a common issue, are they at fault? I’m getting $1600 from dealership to fix and $600 online for a new FWM not counting installment, anybody have any input or know any places in New York (near long island) that could potentially fix the issue and not rip me off!!!