R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Electrical Haywire when Power Steering Module plugged in

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Atkinsl
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Haywire when Power Steering Module plugged in

Hello All,

The r56 went to the mechanic for a leaking rear main seal. Transmission pulled, etc...

Car is working well until the electrical system went haywire. Mechanic says:

"i lost steering assist and all the lights on the dash ( abs, traction control, check engine) came on. Also the wiper blades were on constantly. i could not communicate with the pcm, abs and p/s modules and codes for communication problems. i double checked all wiring and everything looks good."

He started unplugging modules, and all the problems went away when the power steering module was unplugged.

He's recommending replacing the power steering module (which he he can't reprogram to the car)

It seems odd to me that the P/S module would immediately fail during a mechanic job. It sounds like it could be a wiring short that is only exposed with the module plugged in. Or a poor connection to alternator or battery.

Thoughts? Any resources to check that wiring plug?

Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Was the car at the shop for multiple days and they left it with the hood open? That will drain the battery. I learned this by experience - left the hood up, drained the battery, wipers etc. went crazy. Charged the battery and all good.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:51 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
it would be nice to assume that the mechanic disconnected the batter when he did the job. also, we need to know how did they pull the trans. did they remove the subframe or from the top or removed the nose and got it out? what electrical connections did they touch? does the car still turn on and drive?

the power steering module does not have to be reprogrammed in order for it work. however, it would be nice to code it and update the vin. for that you can use WinKfp and NCS expert.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Atkinsl
Neutral
@MiniToBe Car still runs and drives. System does NOT go haywire if the P/S module is unplugged. I believe he pulled the subframe and transmission out the bottom. Leaky rear main seal because... ugh.

Replacing the P/S Module seems a quick job? I'm considering selling the vehicle soon, so I'm tempted to do that job myself with a used unit... If it is not the solution then I can resell the part without throwing tons of cash at a solution.

Without matching coding and vin matching, will the module throw any codes or ill effects that a driver/buyer wouldn't like?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:54 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
it is straight forward to say the least.

there are two t45 (i think) that hold the pump. you have to remove the air intake pipe and filter box.

once those two bolts are removed, you have to play with it to get it out pass the transmission and the brake lines.

put the new pump/module and reconnect everything.

the abs might still be on, but at least you have a working power steering

Old 04-06-2017, 10:55 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
what year is the car?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Atkinsl
Neutral
07 mcs

Old 04-06-2017, 11:05 AM