Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

r56 MCS manual wont turn on with clutch pedal depressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:28 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
r56 MCS manual wont turn on with clutch pedal depressed

Hi,

So I have just had this problem today. I was driving a few blocks from my home when I noticed that it was difficult to put my transmission into first gear. I depressed the clutch pedal as hard as I could and even then I had to force the shifter into first gear. When I was depressing the clutch pedal I could hear this bit of grinding noise as if maybe the transmission wasn't fully disengaging. A few times depressing the clutch hard I heard something click or break off I am not sure since I didn't find any broken piece on my floor mat. Getting closer to home I couldn't shift into first at all and just shifted to second and third which was easier to do until I pulled into my drive way. I left the car for an hour and then came back to check on it and it wouldn't turn on. The starter motor just does not turn the engine. I found a thread here that said it could be the clutch sensor which I checked on and it was in place, I wiggle it a bit to make sure it was in place and its nice and snug. Then I read using a magnet near the clutch sensor might help it start which it didn't. I dont see any oil leaks under my car so I believe nothing is leaking. Anyone has come across this issue before? I would be grateful for your input.

Thanks

Old 10-12-2017, 08:57 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
What year?
How many miles?
Still the original clutch? If not, how many miles on it?
When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed? (The clutch and brakes share the same fluid reservoir.)
If you listen with the hood open while someone tries to start the car, is there any sound of the starter solenoid engaging or the starter trying to turn the engine?

From the symptoms you describe, sounds like you need a clutch overhaul.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
-2010 MCS.
-121,000 KM which translates to about 75K miles.
-I am not sure if the clutch is original or not I bought it used 7 months ago. Also not sure if the brake fluid was flushed. I checked the reservoir and it was full.
-When trying to start I dont hear the engine turning at all.

Thanks

Old 10-13-2017, 07:39 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
I was just wondering what does a clutch overhaul entail?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 PM
squawSkiBum
Sounds like you should get the car to a professional to have it checked out. For research, there are a couple of How To threads on DIY clutch replacements, find those. Also look at the NAM vendors, I think Pelican Parts has a clutch replacement article on their website.

clutch replacement is basically 8-12 hours labor (8 hours if it is a mechanic that has done it a time or two, more if it is the first time) plus clutch plate, flywheel, and any other required parts. This is one of those "while you're in there" tasks where you might as well do pre-emptive replacement of the crank seal, throwout bearing, etc. Not a cheap job.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
Ok wow I was thinking greasing some stuff up maybe replacing the master and slave cylinders. What I find strange is that the car does not turn on at all. From what I read online the car should at least turn on even with worn out clutch. I dont feel the transmission slipping at all though and the clutch pedal is not soft, so I thought it might be a master cylinder sensor issue. So squawskibum you think I should start looking for a transmission shop?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2017, 10:53 PM
squawSkiBum
From what you described in your original post, sounds like trouble with getting the clutch to release. If the clutch is not releasing when you push the pedal down, the starter probably can't overcome both the engine compression and the load through the transmission to the wheels. Otherwise the car would lurch forward driven by the starter. See if you can get the transmission into neutral, then try to start with the clutch pushed down. Or if the interior and dash lights dim when you try to start it - you need to find some indication of whether the starter is trying or not.

It could be the master or slave cylinder, off the top of my head I don't know how to diagnose that. I have seen descriptions of the clutch fork breaking in some threads so that could be the issue. Really hard to make a diagnosis with the information available.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:32 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yep, we have an R56 article that can help you here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Replacing.htm. Definitely get in there and diagnose the issue before throwing parts at it. Let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Ray167
1st Gear
Hello everyone, I have been away for a week and just got back last night. I got back into solving my mini problem this morning. I got in the car and pressed the clutch pedal and it wouldn't go in all the way to the bottom like before. Then I tried my other key just to see if it was a fob problem and the engine still wouldn't turn. Then I charged the battery just to see if that was an issue and still nothing. Finally I thought I should try a strong magnet to see if the car starts at all and finally it did. But when I pressed the clutch pedal I kept getting this knocking noise. I am putting a youtube link here for the readers to have a listen to and let me know what the issue could be so if I cannot fix it at least I have an idea of what it is so I don't get swindle by a mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8HI...ature=youtu.be

Thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 AM
Ray167
1st Gear
So I have been google searching for a similar symptom to my car and found this page at bavauto. https://blog.bavauto.com/16065/bmw-a...n-out-disc-or/ . They point out 9 possible issues that you could have with your transmission and mine is definitely number 8 which is worn out throw out bearing. So it looks like I have to find a transmission shop to get the job done.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:47 PM
Ray167
1st Gear
I know its been two and a half months since I posted, but I wanted to let others know what the cause of my issue was with my Mini. So after some vacation time I came back and found a mechanic nearby that was willing to change the clutch on my mini, by the way it took him a month and some change to finish the work mainly because of the winter rush where he was doing a lot of tire changes. by the time he opened everything up he called me up and said that my clutch fork was broken. I went to see it and indeed it was sitting there with a tear on each side of it. It didn't break completely off or anything, but clearly it was enough that it couldn't push the throw out bearing into the springs enough to disengage the clutch plate. Also the flywheel/clutch plate/ pressure plate were worn down enough and had some cracks so no point in just getting a fork. I bought a spec 2+ kit with their flywheel and gave it to the mechanic to install. All in it cost me about $3000 CAD. It was a bitter pill to swallow after having the car for about 5 months, but I guess it goes with the territory.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 PM
squawSkiBum
Thanks for posting the resolution.