Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior overhead bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Interior overhead bar

Hello guys,
I have not yet had the opportunity to troubleshoot much with my top, 2005 S. When I push the button to lower the top the windows go down and then nothing else happens, except getting the flashing red light. I have pulled the overhead center cover and the motor does not work. Wondering, as I am yet to see if the motor is getting power, if anyone has pulled down the complete overhead cover? Is it possible or not? Just trying to think things through, and see if there is a way to troubleshoot the sensors at the left, overhead location.
Thanks,
Doug

Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Going to move you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

You have verified that the microswitches at the rear tail gate are closed?

Old 10-11-2017, 07:08 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
r53coop,
I have verified that the microswitches are put in place, can hear a click when each is depressed, but do not know if they are sending a signal through the sensors. I basically am trying to figure out what actually does what, and am not being very successful with that. I know the switches in the trunk need to be triggered, but dont know the sequence of the system.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
ECS, a vendor here, is the go to guy on vert problems and he also stocks many of the parts needed. He does check this postings every couple of days but you can always call them.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
It is my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that the rear shelf switch tells the top that it is okay to move past the sunroof stage. Is that telling me that the switch for the tensioning bar is the one that is needed to open the sunroof?
Thanks,

Doug

Old 10-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
The only other thing I have verified is that the rear shelf switch seems to be bad. I have good voltage to the connector but no continuity at the leads for the switch. Hopefully more tomorrow.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Hello, I am here. Just saw this. Yes the switch has to be depressed all the way. 51466980045

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-position.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
ECS,
Is there a sequence that anyone has on here that shows a lineage of how this system works? What triggers what? I am pretty positive that the shelf switch is bad, and I also intend on buying a relay so that I can pull the ones out of the rear fenderwell one at a time to see if I can locate a bad one.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
All i have is this:

http://workshop-manuals.com/mini/coo...pecifications/

tab to the left and you can see all the modules and system TIS

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Tygurscoop
2nd Gear
Its been quite a while since I have even tried to progress with the top, until today. I read in another thread that a dealer did a reset of the system by holding the top down button for 30 seconds and then the top up button for 30 seconds, so I tried it. Now, prior to today the only thing that would happen is the windows went down, I would hear the hyd pump running and then I would get the red flashing light, no top movement. Today I did the holding of the buttons, and it actually cycled the overhead motor (which had not happened before), and the red flashing light is no longer on. A little progress!! Now, it sounds like there are tracks moving in the overhead bar (im not really sure), would this be correct, or am I just hearing the motor? Regardless the top is still not moving. If my assesment is somewhat correct, would this lead one to believe that both cables may be broken? If I was to remove the overhead motor cover, would I see evidence of it turning?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Doug