Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain/oil filter gasket: low mileage for 2009 Mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:31 AM
happier
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain/oil filter gasket: low mileage for 2009 Mini

I have a 2009 Mini Cooper S. I have not driven this car that much. For all eight years, the total mileage is only about 16,000. That is about 2000 miles per year. Today I was told that I need to pay $1200 to replace the oil filter gasket and $450 for the timing chain tension. I told them about this class settlement. They told me that this settlement extended the warranty to only seven years. But my car is 8 years old. What should I do?

I did not receive the class settlement notice last year. I just studied it online. I am sad to find out that this settlement does not apply to my car. My car is eight years old. the extension is 7 year!

“All Class Vehicles will receive an automatic warranty extension for original Covered Parts, which will run for 7 years/100,000 miles from the Class Vehicle’s in-service date, whichever comes first, and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the MINI Warranty.”

Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Change the oil and start driving the car a few thousand miles to heat cycle and allow everything to work. Lots of dealers to choose from and you will find one that will appreciate your low miles and work with you for repairs. Be polite and do your homework and you will get the result you need. A chain set and seal kit is easy work for them if you approach correctly. Do not panic! Lots of miles ahead for you with this car.

The following users liked this post:
happier (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 01:54 PM
happier
1st Gear
Please ignore this thread. I meant to thank R56devotion.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 PM
happier
1st Gear
Originally Posted by R56devotion
Change the oil and start driving the car a few thousand miles to heat cycle and allow everything to work. Lots of dealers to choose from and you will find one that will appreciate your low miles and work with you for repairs. Be polite and do your homework and you will get the result you need. A chain set and seal kit is easy work for them if you approach correctly. Do not panic! Lots of miles ahead for you with this car.
Thank you so much for your comfort!

Before I read your post, I was so desperate that I already said YES to this dealer. There is one MINI dealer in this area. I have to hit the road in a few days for a long distance trip. I will drive my car for about 8 hours, which will be my personal historical record.

I am going to pick my car in some minutes. When I get there, I would try to talk to the manager if possible. I do have the worry that different parts of this mini will have to retire in the next few years, and I really do not want to pay thousands of dollars every year.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:11 PM
R56devotion
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
There are dealers out there that will gladly get you caught up on open recalls, fluids and a care plan that is owner friendly. You cant ignore these mini's, but throwing money at yours at this moment is premature. Do you know how to check the oil level on your car? This is obvious, but don't retop the coolant when the car is warm!
You can also call BMW customer care with your vin # and make sure they have your correct contact info for mailings about campaigns and recalls. They can give you all information about anything outstanding. When they hear about the low miles, they will want to help you!

happier (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 08:58 PM
happier
1st Gear
Update & An interesting finding

I paid and drove my car back. The total cost is around $1900. Replacing oil filter housing gaskets costs $1080, out of which $936 is labor fee. Replacing the timing chain tensioner costs $362, out of which about $250 is labor fee. Other charges include oil change and fuel system EFI service. I put these number here because I would like to know how normal these prices are especially the labor fee.

I realize it is time for me to know my mini and all the service done on it. This evening I read all invoices, and had an interesting finding. The timing chain tension was replaced in January 2016 already, when I paid $296. The labor fee was the same as the one today. But the price for the part was $46 in 2016 but $112 today. Inflation within one year and a half? Each part has a two year warranty which is clearly written on each invoice. I plan to call Mini tomorrow regarding this issue.

Finally, I want to add one more thing. The dealer already claimed that they provided complimentary car wash. That is not true. Today is another time they did not actually do it although they listed on the invoice.

Please forgive me for this long post. I am very disappointed. Also note that they provided a free appreciation of my car this afternoon and could not print my name correctly.

I only sincerely hope my post here can be of some help for other Mini drivers.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:23 AM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
Scandalous! Politely ask for your money back on the tensioner work. $46 is too much even in 2016 for the part. I changed mine in under 30 minutes. The oil filter housing gasket is pennies ($20) and the labour, well lets just say it is held on with 5 bolts. Perhaps the S is harder to access but that is again scandalous. Time to buy yourself some tools and a manual :-)

happier (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:41 AM
happier
1st Gear
Yesterday I called and asked for talking to the customer service manager. They may not have such a manager. I got to talk to the manager directly over phone. I was very polite and calm and told him my experience. He said he could not answer my questions but he would do research and get back to me next Tuesday.

I am not sure what kind of answer he would give to me next Tuesday. I actually thought about calling the Mini Customer Service line directly. Anyhow, I hope they could improve their service.