Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

dealer price for mini cooper key fob

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM
LadyR
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer price for mini cooper key fob

Does anyone have any advice for getting a key fob programmed without going through a mini dealership? My local dealer in Greenville SC wants $230 for replacement. Mine is 2008 mini base hatchback model.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:18 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Covered many times, plan on a trip to the dealer..

Old 08-01-2017, 06:49 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyR
Does anyone have any advice for getting a key fob programmed without going through a mini dealership? My local dealer in Greenville SC wants $230 for replacement. Mine is 2008 mini base hatchback model.
That's not so bad.....I think my "stealer" wanted even more. Abou that price for the FOB and another amount for programming. Sorry, don't recall the numbers. Made me roll my eyes, and say"Jesus" though. You sure that price is with the programming all in?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Think I need to head to SC. $300 in South Florida.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:17 AM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
If your replacing the fob and slide in key w/o comfort access the $230 sounds about right with taxes, add around $60 to that if you have comfort access and then programming on top of that only if you have comfort access and want the comfort access feature to work. If not all you do is put the new fob in the slot and start the car and it finishes programming itself to the car. Keys and fobs can only be ordered from a MINI dealer, anyone that sells them on the internet and says take them to the dealer for programming won't work.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:40 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by sgscomps
Keys and fobs can only be ordered from a MINI dealer, anyone that sells them on the internet and says take them to the dealer for programming won't work.
Not entirely true. My neighbor is in the OEM key fob business. I can buy MINI fobs from him. He orders them from the dealer (preprogrammed to the VIN as required) at a discount and passes that discount on to the customer.

The following users liked this post:
TurgidFlux (11-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sgscomps
If your replacing the fob and slide in key w/o comfort access the $230 sounds about right with taxes, add around $60 to that if you have comfort access and then programming on top of that only if you have comfort access and want the comfort access feature to work. If not all you do is put the new fob in the slot and start the car and it finishes programming itself to the car. Keys and fobs can only be ordered from a MINI dealer, anyone that sells them on the internet and says take them to the dealer for programming won't work.
Sorry.....but what is "comfort access" again?

Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Comfort access is when the key works on proximity for unlock and starting.

i.e. You don't have to take the key out of your pocket or purse.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
that's cheap ... new one for my FOCUS ST is more ....

wiz bang fancy electronic keys are expensive, doen't matter what make of car .... and ya can't go to ACE Hardware and ask 'em to cut a new one using your existing key as a pattern.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
that's cheap ... new one for my FOCUS ST is more ....

wiz bang fancy electronic keys are expensive, doen't matter what make of car .... and ya can't go to ACE Hardware and ask 'em to cut a new one using your existing key as a pattern.
so how do you like that focus Capt? I looked st one of the newest ones the other day. Nice but 42k and the stealer said they are selling them for 5k over sticker! YIKES!!

Old 08-04-2017, 08:51 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
What about something like this. Sounds legit? Just pay for programming....hopefully!

Amazon Amazon

Old 08-04-2017, 09:11 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sselvia
What about something like this. Sounds legit? Just pay for programming....hopefully!

Amazon Amazon
No that won't work. They need to come straight from the dealer. The dealer gets them preprogrammed to the VIN from BMW Germany.

There are some key resellers (like my neighbor) that can order them from the dealer for you at a discount, but no matter what they are still ordered from the dealer.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
So of all these fobs you see on Remotes.com and Amazon, etc.......none of them work?
There is going to be a lot of p'd off people if they buy them and they are useless!
I know they all say must be programmed, but you're saying even the hardware(fob) cannot be programmed? I'm confused.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
The dealer can't program the key. It is done offsite and mailed to the dealer. When you pick it up from the dealer all you do is put it in the car and it works. There is no additional programming that it done at the dealer.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The dealer can't program the key. It is done offsite and mailed to the dealer. When you pick it up from the dealer all you do is put it in the car and it works. There is no additional programming that it done at the dealer.
Ok....sorry, Let me ask in this way. IF I were to buy the fob from Amazon....can I not take it to the dealer and say.... "I want you to program this and let me know when I can pick it up fully programmed" .....can the dealer/will the dealer not do that?
Will they not send off ones you purchase and bring to them? I'm not looking for a key... but maybe one day, and I'd like to know what my options are. Thx

Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Why don't you ask the dealer. That will get you a definitive answer.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
so how do you like that focus Capt? I looked st one of the newest ones the other day. Nice but 42k and the stealer said they are selling them for 5k over sticker! YIKES!!

sure you didn't look at the RS? the 4wd version?

my ST3 ("everything" package ... full leather recarro, nav etc)
stickered right at $30,000 and sold for less
this was back in 13 .. I bought a new fresh 14 for well under sticker.

dealer by me has the ST-1 (base ST, cloth seats, minimal wiz-bang) for $23,600; ST still tops at low $30's

around here the RS start in mid $30's and run to mid $40's
they aren't exactly flying off the lots so markup's are not happening here

BUT how do I like it? I got way more bang for the buck on the ST vs MINI. I had been looking for a nw MINI when it was suggested I take a peek at the ST. A similarly equipped "S" stickered for over $40,000 at the time. ST has more power albeit more weight and overall size; and handles AT LEAST as well (not my opinion alone, read the reviews). You REALLY feel the turbo when it kicks in .... And I've got a 15 R-59 S in the garage right next to it so I CAN compare quite honestly. 59 is Mrs daily, the ST is mine.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:38 AM
sselvia
2nd Gear
NICE! yes, I think it was the 4wd now that I think about it. It was super nice. Reported to have 350 hp.

I think I would like the power and the room. But would op for the 2wd version. I am digging the mini though pretty good. Thx for the info.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
NICE! yes, I think it was the 4wd now that I think about it. It was super nice. Reported to have 350 hp.

I think I would like the power and the room. But would op for the 2wd version. I am digging the mini though pretty good. Thx for the info.
yep

the ST is 252 while the RS is 350 ....

so in summary for $10,000 more than the ST you get 4wd, 100 hp and a button they lets you destroy the rear tires in the blink of an eye! And we MINI owners think the sport button is cool...

Old 08-05-2017, 02:34 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Back to the original subject---I checked the Amazon reviews for key fob replacements and apparently none of them work. Why do they keep selling them on Amazon when they're all going to be returned?

Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM
sselvia
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ammodave
Back to the original subject---I checked the Amazon reviews for key fob replacements and apparently none of them work. Why do they keep selling them on Amazon when they're all going to be returned?
Oooops, sorry about the hijack.....got carried away.

The following users liked this post:
MINI_42 (07-19-2020)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:56 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
You CAN'T buy a key off the internet (remotes.com, Amazon, eBay, etc) and take it to the dealer to be programmed. Dealers only deal with OEM parts direct from BMW. The key/remote is ordered from BMW per your VIN number and shipped direct to the dealer then you can pickup from the dealer or some dealers will them ship the key/remote to you and like the post above said you put the remote in the slot and start the car and it works. The only additional programming is if your car has comfort access, this feature is programmed to the car at the dealer.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:05 PM
Yuki
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not entirely true. My neighbor is in the OEM key fob business. I can buy MINI fobs from him. He orders them from the dealer (preprogrammed to the VIN as required) at a discount and passes that discount on to the customer.
may i know the contact of company name of your friend? We would like to get a replacement for our remote control but price from dealership is extremely pricey

Old 01-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Bnourai
5th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
so you don't have to reprogram the car?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Bnourai
so you don't have to reprogram the car?
Re-programming the car isn't necessary. The dealer/MINI programs the key to your car. I had to buy a replacement key and they didn't need my car.....just proof of ownership.

Quick Reply: dealer price for mini cooper key fob