Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Spun bearing !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Chillyred02
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spun bearing !!!

Where do I begin... I bought this Mini Cooper brand new back in 2002 oil pump went bad on the expressway in the car spun a bearing long story short I bought a new motor did a full swap.. I'm not having much luck lately the new swap also spun a bearing but I was able to catch it on time.. I open the oil canister realize that the drain back plug broke off it's clips and was found floating in the canister along with it spring. I was able to line it up where it belongs I bought new bearings for the car inspected the crank and it seemed fine it was smooth all the way around .. sadly three days later it spun another bearing. Could this be caused by the drain back plug? Never gone this far with a mini.. just hoping I can get some good advice !!!

(I replace the oil pressure sensor)
(I'm getting a hold of a oil pressure gauge as well)
THANKS ! One on the left was #4

Last edited by Chillyred02; 06-13-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
How many miles on the original motor and then on the replacement?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 PM
Chillyred02
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
How many miles on the original motor and then on the replacement?
original motor died around 120,000 miles sadly ...
The new replacement motor had 52,666 miles, got it off a crashed automatic Mini ( Cooper S from 04 )

Old 06-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Perhaps I am old school but spun bearing to me means that the crank had no oil. Was the car low on oil?

Old 06-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Chillyred02
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Perhaps I am old school but spun bearing to me means that the crank had no oil. Was the car low on oil?
that's what I'm trying to get right I'm a bit confused on how this happened.. car had oil , oil pump is working, Crank was fine when I replaced the bearings.. the only problem I found was the drain back plug broke .. like I said I put it in by hand and the oil light never came on.. So I drove it around did some pulls and on the 3rd day of having new bearings it stared to knock.... nothing crazy but you can hear the knock on a cold start , after when it's all warmed up you rev it to around 3,000 rpms and there it is .. i was also thinking can it be the oil jets?

Old 09-30-2018, 07:52 AM
bollx2008
Neutral
hi did this ever get sorted....have same problem keeps throwing number 3 bearing i was thinking about oil jets

Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
oil Starvation can result from a plugged oil port in the crank or running low on oil. Or consistent high RPM like redlining in every gear shift all the time. Pull the filter and see what it caught. Pull the crank and head. Have all the rods and pistons and of course the crank checked and/or machine. Hone out the cylinders and put it all back together.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Tgriffithjr
oil Starvation can result from a plugged oil port in the crank or running low on oil. Or consistent high RPM like redlining in every gear shift all the time.
My Desire the flying hog is doomed! That is the mistreatments she gets hours on end at the tracks, and she spends 95% of her mileage on track. Only she likes the tortures and she haven't spun a bearing yet. Oh, and all she gets is 5W30 dietary supplement.

And OMG, this is a two years old thread.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 06-13-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
My Desire the flying hog is doomed! That is the mistreatments she gets hours on end at the tracks, and she spends 95% of her mileage on track. Only she likes the tortures and she haven't spun a bearing yet. Oh, and all she gets is 5W30 dietary supplement.

And OMG, this is a two years old thread.
Lucky you! Doesn’t happen all the time but all it takes is the right combination of factors and I can. These engines are built well but they don’t contain the high quality of parts that race engines have. Even at that race engines are rebuilt frequently because the winning depends upon it.