Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Bad Coolent leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Chase Lewis
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Coolent leak

To start off I bought the car with 98k on it. It was tracked and has been to the shop 5 times since I got it in October. Today, I let the car warm up, as I'm going into second I hear a pop. Drove bit more going through the gears, at the next light a bit of white smoke came from the hood so I turned and headed back to the lot where is park. From under the car the bottom hose that runs bellow the intercooler and radiator was hanging down. Anti freeze was everywhere, lots on the bottom area of the motor and hosing, and on the hood. Wiped the car clean, refilled the tank a little over the max, started the car. Nothing on top was happening, but from near the center it was gushing fluid. It seemed to be coming from around the fan area and that bottom hose was soaked again. I check all the clamps and the hosing I could get to, no issues. Please help

Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 PM
sharmadaven
2nd Gear
What model and year?

Old 02-09-2017, 03:13 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Isn't it obvious? Your lower radiator hose has either burst or has disconnected from the radiator. You must not drive it. Have it towed to a competent mechanic; it is possible that it can be repaired without any new parts, but you won't know until it is up on a lift.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Chase Lewis
Neutral
It's an 09 jcw and the issue with taking it to a mechanic is that is it still under warranty. I would have to tow the car 2 hours to get it to the warranty approved shop.

Last edited by Chase Lewis; 02-09-2017 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to reply to another comment
Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
An '09 still under warranty? Read the policy language, call their customer service number, and explain your situation. A burst or loose radiator hose, if we correctly understand your description, is not an expensive repair.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Chase Lewis
Neutral
The car came with a 3 month bumper to bumper, as well as, a 12 month power train. Unfortunately they don't pay for towing and I was hoping to fix it where I'm at. When I got under the car yesterday no hoses seemed to have burst or pooped off. I'm going to recheck today. If I can find the issue and it's an easy fix I'll do it up here, if not it's going back to Richmond for repairs
Thank you for the replies

Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
But in your initial post you wrote that the radiator hose was "hanging down." Now you say that "no hoses seemed to have burst or popped off."

Where exactly in Virginia are you?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Chase Lewis
Neutral
After getting under the car it turns out a clip had broken causing the hanging hose, but it's off to Richmond tonight.

Chesapeake, Va

Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Chase Lewis
Neutral
It was a hole in the radiator, not covered under warranty.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:04 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chase Lewis
It was a hole in the radiator, not covered under warranty.
Then you don't have bumper to bumper unless the hole was caused by something you did or caused to happen.