Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need help troubleshooting heater issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help troubleshooting heater issues.

Issue is there's no heat.

First off, I've changed the thermostat, and there is plenty of coolant in the car. Also, I've removed the driver's side cover and can confirm the heater core gets hot as hell, so no blockage. The dials to control air speed and output location work file. Also, the blender dial works, so the air warms or cools as it's turned back and forth, but the heat is never very hot. Also, it's only luke-warm on the two left vents, whereas the two right vents are cold only.

Is there another fan dedicated to pushing air through the heater core that might not be working?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:56 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Just One fan and then all those blend doors. Fan has multiple speeds, is it working on all speeds.

My guess is one of the doors is stuck and not opening on one side. Also, make sure all your twist dial vents on the dash are indeed open. 64116910916

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-sticks.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Just One fan and then all those blend doors. Fan has multiple speeds, is it working on all speeds.

My guess is one of the doors is stuck and not opening on one side. Also, make sure all your twist dial vents on the dash are indeed open. 64116910916

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ll-sticks.html

Thanks for the info. The fan speeds do adjust with the dial, and the vents are open. This mini has the manual HVAC. Does the photo below look normal for the passenger side lever or is it missing the vertical rod I see on my R53 with auto HVAC?

Name:  R53%20with%20Manual%20HVAC_zps4en7hcx6.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  3.39 MB

Old 02-09-2017, 12:30 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
You have the manual version, I believe that little arm is for the automatic which is hooked to the little synchro motors.

I would make sure that all you blend doors are open and functioning. It does not make sense that only one side is working. Maybe the door is broken on one side on the interior? Are you dash vents connected all the way in with the ***** all the way open?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
You have the manual version, I believe that little arm is for the automatic which is hooked to the little synchro motors.

I would make sure that all you blend doors are open and functioning. It does not make sense that only one side is working. Maybe the door is broken on one side on the interior? Are you dash vents connected all the way in with the ***** all the way open?
I wouldn't classify the left side as working, but I can feel moderately warmer air coming from those vents vs the passenger side. I'm going to go down and rip some stuff apart now. BRB

Last edited by Grip Grip; 02-09-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
It seems that in most cases the issue is a clogged core, so I'm in the process of cleaning mine out. The CLR is having a field-day working it's chemical magic, which I hope is good news.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Grip Grip
4th Gear
Those clamps are the biggest PITA!!! DAMN IT!!!

Anyway, I got the core back in after the cleaning, and it's performing marginally better. I went ahead and ordered a new core tonight from O'reilly Auto for $80, so I'll throw that in tomorrow and see if I can put this to bed.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:20 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
If the heater core gets hot as hell, it's not a clogged core.