Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Throttle body replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 PM
ingrdo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body replacement cost

I drove Tater (as in 'let 'er rip, Tater Chip!), an '06 S convertible, from Helena to the Murray, UT Mini dealership for the passenger air bag recall and asked them to investigate the limp mode issue. I'd researched here enough to know that it was probably either the throttle body or engine wiring harness. So their diagnosis of throttle faults at potentiometer 1 & 2 seemed spot on and they've suggested the whole thing be replaced.

What didn't seem right was that they quoted $94 to replace a brake light & $40 to replace a windshield wiper!! So, I'm wondering if their $494 to replace the throttle body is anywhere near accurate?

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks! ingrid

Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Seems like an indy shop could do it for a lot less.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:16 PM
ingrdo
1st Gear
I called a guy in Helena that others w/ Minis have recommended & trust. He said that the dealership had to do it because of programming issues that they weren't equipped for? I researched the parts prices and it doesn't seem too over the top if their quote includes labor. I'll be asking them that tomorrow b/c while fixing the airbag issue, they buggered the radio. Joy.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Dealers will always cost more. When I worked at the dealer we quoted $45 to replace the cabin air filter. That's for parts and labor. As you can see, the throttle body part is HERE. Did they tell you how much labor is part of the quote they gave you? HERE is a DIY on how to replace it. You'll want to call a MINI/BMW shop that specializes in them specifically as they will be the ones with the proper equipment to do specific repairs. I see you're in Colorado. Do you live near Copper Mountain? It's a bit of a trek, but AutoHaus of Boulder works on MINI's and you can give them a shout. Really great shop.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-18-2016, 04:59 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Unfortunately the dealer claimed that the TB replacement job required coding to me as well... Only after they had the car in their possession (I didn't have time to do what is really a 1h job myself). I pressed them for answers on what needed to be coded, and after further digging.... They were "mistaken" about the coding. All in all, after all the hassle, I could (and have since) done the job in 30-45mins. A $130/h rate is not unreasonable for a dealer, plus the part cost.... But that does seem a bit high for the quote (perhaps more was being "done"?)

Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 AM
Brochacho
2nd Gear
I'm curious as to what coding needs to be done. I haven't heard anything about it needing coding, and I recently replaced my throttle body trying to fix an issue with intermittent starting troubles.

Dave

Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
There isn't any coding that needs to be done... it was the "line" that the dealer "fed" in order to "scare" me into needing the job to be done by them.

I had the part, but they claimed it needed to be coded... I didn't have the time or knowledge back then to argue.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
The Bentley Manual states after the install of the new one to reset the DME control unit adaptation values using diagnostic scan tool. That's all, no coding.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Brochacho
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The Bentley Manual states after the install of the new one to reset the DME control unit adaptation values using diagnostic scan tool. That's all, no coding.
I will have to look for that in INPA...Thanks!