Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Speedo/tach lights stay on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:59 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Other then solder the old one out on the microswitch, looks like the other speedo was not the same year or model, thus has more or less thing. People that do the switch try to get the same year and model. Yes the brake sensor did not come out to 2003~ish but the light might be programmed into the tach.

You can try to flash the old tach at the dealership, but last time i was there they would only do new ones.
The speedo pictured is the current one, production June of 2002. The one we got is production November of 2003. They look identical, including that switch, except there is the brake pad sensor stencil in the warning light bank in the newer one. I'm going to go back today and see if they have an earlier production speedo. So there is no way to switch out the switches except for soldering, correct? So I'm just going to have to live with incorrect mileage unless the dealer will actually flash it?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The dealer won't flash the odometer. As you can imagine, tampering with an odometer is a huge legal issue and manufacturers won't allow their dealers to do that. They will only install and flash a brand new speedometer.

However, it is possible to set the VIN and mileage with a memory programmer: http://obdgroud.com/views.asp?hw_id=348

The warning lights don't work correctly because the speedometer had been programmed for a car with different configuration and options. It might be possible to reprogram to match your particular car, and a good independent BMW shop might be able to do it. I'm not sure if the dealer would be willing to (they normally only work with new replacements and may have a policy against working with a used unit from another car).

Originally Posted by sevin
So there is no way to switch out the switches except for soldering, correct?
I'm very confident that the switches have nothing to do with your issues. That's just not these electronics work. There is a malfunction somewhere else in the circuit.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:28 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
The dealer won't flash the odometer. As you can imagine, tampering with an odometer is a huge legal issue and manufacturers won't allow their dealers to do that. They will only install and flash a brand new speedometer.

However, it is possible to set the VIN and mileage with a memory programmer: http://obdgroud.com/views.asp?hw_id=348

The warning lights don't work correctly because the speedometer had been programmed for a car with different configuration and options. It might be possible to reprogram to match your particular car, and a good independent BMW shop might be able to do it. I'm not sure if the dealer would be willing to (they normally only work with new replacements and may have a policy against working with a used unit from another car).

I'm very confident that the switches have nothing to do with your issues. That's just not these electronics work. There is a malfunction somewhere else in the circuit.
I stopped in at Flow MINI today. They confirmed they will not program a used unit, but only because they said it was impossible to do. They said it gets locked down once it's programmed to one car initially to avoid scam issues etc.

I ended up swapping this speedo for a 2002 one, so at least it won't have the brake pad sensor light. Hopefully I'll get one without ASC. It should be here on Tuesday. I guess I'll just have to deal with the mileage issues.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Just saw this, so thing have not changed because it locks the vin.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172