Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2008 R56 Bearing Noise...Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R56 Bearing Noise...Help!!!

OK...purchased a 2008 Mini S off Craigslist in December. The car has had all of its maintenance performed by dealers since new (confirmed with the dealer and was main reason why I bought this one). It has 106,000 miles on it. The clutch started slipping last week and I had it towed into the repair facility that specialized in Minis, BMWs, and Mercedes. Was told that the clutch and flywheel needed to be replaced (pictures shown of the wear) and I sucked it up and had the work done. Now, after speaking with the mechanic that did the work, he stated that there was a bearing that needs attention...said that it was causing some noise that was not associated with the wheel bearings. When I drove it home, the noise was definitely noticeable around 30-40 mph. It seems less at higher speeds. There is no change when making corners so I'm assuming that it is not the hub area. What area in the front drive train could that be coming from? I was hoping that I found a diamond in the rough with this Mini, but am afraid it may be a lemon, instead!!!

Old 02-06-2016, 07:35 AM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did the mechanic not tell you which bearing is making the noise? The top of the front struts have bearing that dry out over time and can make noise usually when cornering.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
He mentioned it but I didn't write it down. I, incorrectly, assumed that it was noted in the paperwork. Their was surprise from him that it was not mentioned to me. I took the car and drove it home...noticing the noise. By the time that I called back to speak with him, they were gone for the day and will not be back until Monday. I'm really frustrated at this point. Used a reputable service facility instead of the dealer, which is across town, but looks like I not only paid more, but may have had another issue arise...ARGH!!!! The noise reminds me of what you would hear is their was a problem with the differential...thats the only experience that I have had to compare it to....

Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cockpitcreator
When I drove it home, the noise was definitely noticeable around 30-40 mph.
Was the noise present before taking it in?

Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a support bearing on the middle of the right cv axle.

Attached Thumbnails 2008 R56 Bearing Noise...Help!!!-capture.jpg  
Old 02-08-2016, 12:09 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by grussell
There is a support bearing on the middle of the right cv axle.
Can that bearing be replaced short of buying a new CVD? Every now and then (not often) I get a moderate vibration on the front right that can't be found on multiple inspections. Alignment is always spot on and tires wear very evenly.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
What about the middle carrier bearing...?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
OK...its the center axle bearing....ideas? I looked on youtube and came across the video of how to replace the front axle and this would include the axle bearing.

Last edited by Cockpitcreator; 02-08-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
What is the best source for reman axles for a cooper?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
We have an axle DIY replacement that can help you as well HERE > Tech Info (tab at top) > R56 Articles > Transmission > Drive Axle Replacement. While you have access to them and you're removing the drive axle you may want to replace the axle seals HERE. We have a DIY for those directly under the axle DIY if needed. For an axle, I'd use Google to see if you can find a local shop that does OEM rebuilt axles. That will be your cheapest alternative from buying new axles HERE.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-10-2016, 12:19 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
What is the best source for reman axles for a cooper?
We have some axles here , The genuine ones, when you get some remans they might not replace the bearing itself. Also there are different part number for the manual and automatic versions, so make sure you get the right one on exchange. In general there is no aftermarket on these yet. Just shops doing it on exchange.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...le-shafts.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-10-2016, 01:52 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a guy in philly on eBay that has a TON of mini parts. He's basically a mini salvage guy. I get stuff all the time.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
Thanks for all the gouge. I swapped out the right axle today with one from Oreileys. I know its not the same quality but wanted to see if the noise went away. It has reduced quite a bit and now I am thinking of trying the left side, too. If the sound is still there after this, any ideas? Transmission? Its a 6 speed manual...

Old 02-12-2016, 05:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Possible both axles are bad. If its the wheel bearings you would hear it on the outside and feel in in the wheel. I hope its not a bad bearing in the transmission or diff.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
Thats my ultimate fear. The thing that really hacks me off is that is was not making this noise prior to having the clutch and flywheel replaced. Only happened after I picked it up. Going to try rotating the tires today and look to see if there isn't something rubbing around the disc area....

Old 02-12-2016, 07:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Thats my ultimate fear. The thing that really hacks me off is that is was not making this noise prior to having the clutch and flywheel replaced. Only happened after I picked it up. Going to try rotating the tires today and look to see if there isn't something rubbing around the disc area....
Were they 100% confident in telling you it was not coming from the transmission/clutch area? Can you take a video of the noise you're hearing for us? It might help. Most of the time, when fixing one thing a failing or bad part may appear with the new fix. Most of the time it's a somewhat related part though. If the noise wasn't there prior to install, I'd think there is something that they didn't assemble back properly, but I'm not sure. I'd bring it back to them and tell them that you're concerned as there was no issue prior to the work that they did. At the shop I worked at, we would make sure the issue was not related to any of the work performed and then advise the customer on what it was.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
I will see if I can't capture the sound and video the results...

Old 02-24-2016, 08:45 PM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
Ok...first off, I want to thank all of you for the advice. I know just enough about car maintenance to get into trouble. This little mini has brought a new level of forced education to me. The good part is, I have my 16 year old son out spinning wrenches with me and he is learning from my mistakes.

Now then, here is our saga. I bought a new right front axle from O'reileys and swapped it out with the original. Noise continued. Took car back to shop and had them look at it again. This time, they informed me that it was definely coming from the front wheel hubs. I ordered two new ones from O'reileys and dedicated an afternoon to swap them out. Son and I took right brake caliper off and stated to tackle the left side. The screw that held the disc on stripped and I spent the next hour and a half drilling the piece of &@&$ out. I had my son sit in the car and apply the brakes tomhold the left side still....sounded good until he asked me what all the fluid was on the right side of the car. Well...that would be brake fluid...coming out of the previously removed rigs rake caliper. Now the brake piston was lying next to it covered with lots of brake fluid!!!! Arggh!!!! Cleaned up the area and spent the next half hour working on getting the piston back in place. Finally, wife scowling at the two of us, it was time to call it a day.

Day two, thinking that we only had a couple hours of work left, we launched into finishing the job. Rotors she removed and new ones put in place. No new bolts at Autozone or O'reileys so used the same ones on the rotors that came originally. Decided to swap out the new CV Axle with the original. This time, I didn't had the car tilted to the drive side. DUH....pulled out the axle and out came the transmission grease...all over the garage floor. Two hours later, grease refilled and axle back on, the car was ready for a test drive. When moving the car, I noticed the right front area had a small puddle. On checking, I think that I notice that brake fluid may be wheeling out. After doing some research, I determined that I may have missed the o ring that goes in with it. MAN!!! Anyways, the car has the right front brake dragging a little making a squeaking noise. I'm thinking that the piston didn't get seated back far enough. Also, I bought a new oil ring axle seal to replace the one that is letting a small amount of where the axle goes into the transmission. I cannot for the life of me, find a good source of directions on how to get the old oil seal for the axle out!!! When you finish laughing at all of this, I would REALLY like some help with that. I ordered a brake caliper overhaul kit and it should be available tomorrow....HELP!!!!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
A video recording of this sound could prove invaluable since some of us have heard some noises and somebody might know exactly what's making that bearing noise. Without hearing it we can only guess at what it might be.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Cockpitcreator
1st Gear
After getting the wheel bearings their place...the noise went away!!! Yea!!! The issue now is how to get the cv axle oil deal replaced...

Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Great news.

The grease in the CV is a little nasty . Fill the boot with the grease in the kit and then clamp down the boots.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 PM
vballcoach
1st Gear
will be changing my left front hub/bearing soon..just did the valve cover gasket today

Old 03-07-2016, 08:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Let me know how it goes.