Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Severe issues happened while replacing a trunk light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM
cry7670
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severe issues happened while replacing a trunk light bulb

Hi all,

I own MCS 2012.

I got some critical issues while I was replacing a trunk light bulb (literally just change the light bulb into a white 194 or compatible SMD - [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01461TP54?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o00_s00"] and the same type ones from Xtralights), so want to hear any comment. I scheduled at dealer for upcoming Monday, but want to know any clue before that...

I and my friend were changing light bulbs to white to simply improve the interior mood. When we were changing the right side puddle light (all other dome, map, and footwell bulbs were replace successfully beforehand), the new light bulb bights up when we were testing, and suddenly started burning after 2 seconds, so we removed the housing (the connecting part of the clear bulb housing was little burned - "extremely" surprised). We replaced the bulb to the new (same type) one, and it seems to be okay, so just placed that ( just mentioning this to make sure if this affects anything or not)

After that we replaced few more lights including license plate lights left, and everything looked good until then. We moved to a trunk light after changed all other lights, and plugged the same type bulb to the trunk light housing. However, nothing lighted up (even the opposite direction), so we tried the original bulb to test, but found out that the original one stopped working, too. We tried connecting this to other light, but the same bulb worked in other location, so just left it as it is (with the original bulb), and scheduled a dealer appointment to make sure.

After that we were heading to a grocery, so I turned the engine up, and notice that "seat belt" sign on the center dash panel and the airbag/seatbelt warning comes out, but never goes out, even though we have seatbelts on. Also, we suddenly noticed that 2 dome lights (excluding middle one) stopped working, the right side ambient light stopped working, and the 2 map lights stopping working, although ALL OTHER lights are working.

Does anyone hear similar thing to this? Any comment/advice appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by cry7670; 01-19-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Hello,

Sounds like the ones you bought might have fired out or the wrong resistance or just not made for the 12v system. I hope it did not damage your Footwell module.

I would take them all out and go back to stock. You

If you are looking for LED that work and are tested in house : Ziza LEDs. NO bulb out errors. https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MINI_...ing_Kits_Sale/

Some of those amazon bulbs or ebay bulbs you have to watch out for.

Any update.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172