Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

02 JCW - clutch issue and surge issue - help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM
TonyMastodon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 JCW - clutch issue and surge issue - help!

Hey guys, brand new to the forum but not to the car world!
Just had a few questions that needed answer and i couldnt find them with the search feature.

1: Clutch - Just replaced my clutch to a single mass - Noticed my clutch works fine but right before it engages it kind of sticks for a split second and then pops out (engages) --- it makes me pump the clutch every time. There really isnt a smooth transition when the clutch is engaging. Any thoughts?
System was bled correctly, clutch was installed correctly, dont know whats goign on.

2: surge at decel?? normal??? --- I with the mini that the car will surge or lunge when I'm under decel (happens right at 2000 rpms)... If i accel up to 4000 rpms and let off the gas and coast until 2000 - the car will lunge or surge like its downshifting (even though its a manual).. its so odd and I cant seem to figure out why its doing that. Thoughts on this as well???

Hope to get some good answers and meet some good people!
Thanks,
Tony

Old 10-18-2015, 04:03 PM
BuffMyRadius
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy there!

My first thought on the draggy clutch is that the throwout bearing isn't properly seated in the clutch fork, or that the throwout bearing didn't get enough grease when it was installed.

As for the surging, that seems to be part of going to a solid flywheel. I noticed the same thing when I converted mine. The driveline lash seems to build a strange harmonic oscillation that causes surging at low speeds. You'll quickly get in the habit of kicking in the clutch when it tries to act up (usually in a parking lot if your Mini behaves like mine.)

At any rate, welcome, good luck, and motor on!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:59 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM, Tony! Are you saying that the pedal sticks for a second? I would check over everything on the install for the clutch and maybe even look at your clutch slave cylinder if you didn't replace it. There's a lot of threads with individuals saying their clutch pedal gets stuck and ends up being due to a faulty slave cylinder. Check for any hydraulic leaks under the car. Not that this is your issue, but it wont hurt to check it out. More info here.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST