Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains!

Old 08-29-2013, 05:02 PM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains.

All,

I have a 2008 Cooper S with 60,000 miles on the clock and an elongated timing chain. I just got off the phone with my SA and, after giving them the last 7 of my VIN, was told that MINI is now replacing the timing chains 'under warranty'. (It is my understanding that MINI is extending the warranty of the timing chain like they extended the warranty of the HPFP.) My SA said this has not been advertised, yet, but they are now doing the repairs. I confirmed with my SA that the entire timing chain cassette will be replaced.

I am simply relaying what I just learned and am sure more details will come.

If your timing chain is failing, CALL MINI NOW!!!

Last edited by It'sNotCute!; 08-30-2013 at 11:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jmontunnas (07-09-2019)
Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Great news! How did you know you had an elongated timing chain?

I currently have 70k miles on original timing chain. Had the tensioner replaced twice. Would like the chain replaced if possible.

Last edited by gregsmini; 08-29-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: add info.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
It's not official yet. MINI has a campaign coming out in Sept, but it's not out yet.
Some dealers have been doing it under warranty as they know it's coming, but some dealers that were doing that got in trouble.
So please don't run to your dealers yet, you might get your heart broken.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM
euroids
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this pertain to only second gen cars?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:44 PM
chifanpoe
1st Gear
This is great news, I just replaced my tensor(newest model) as preventative maintenance on my 2008 MCS. Hopefully come September they offer free inspections and replacements!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:50 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
It's not official yet. MINI has a campaign coming out in Sept, but it's not out yet.
Some dealers have been doing it under warranty as they know it's coming, but some dealers that were doing that got in trouble.
is it going to be a recall or for cars under waranty still?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jordan.burks
I'd very much like to know this as well! Though from OP post it sounds like he is not still under warranty yet still got it.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jordan.burks
My car's warranty ended ten thousand miles ago and they are still installing a new timing chain cassette for free so I don't suspect that your car still has to be under warranty to receive the repair.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by It'sNotCute!
My car's warranty ended ten thousand miles ago and they are still installing a new timing chain cassette for free so I don't suspect that your car still has to be under warranty to receive the repair.
What about those of us that already shouldered the cost to repair our timing chains? You mention that recall/campaign is under warranty, why would Mini not cover it under warranty? I think you're confused, the recall would effect those that paid out of warranty and not in warranty.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Would the campaign/recall still come into effect if at a later date your free replacement of the timing chain went bad for a second or even a third time? Other's have had to replace the timing chains up to three times.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
What about those of us that already shouldered the cost to repair our timing chains? You mention that recall/campaign is under warranty, why would Mini not cover it under warranty? I think you're confused, the recall would effect those that paid out of warranty and not in warranty.
I'm not sure how MINI will handle people who have already paid to replace their timing chains. I suggest calling your dealer to see if they are willing say, assuming they know, what MINI's stance is on that. Also, I am not confused. My SA told me MINI is replacing the timing chain cassettes for vehicles that are out of warranty but I didn't ask if there's a certain cut-off millage.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
You mention that recall/campaign is under warranty, why would Mini not cover it under warranty? I think you're confused, the recall would effect those that paid out of warranty and not in warranty.
I think I figured out what my SA meant when he said, "warranty". Just like how MINI extended the warranty on the HPFP to 100,000 miles, I think MINI extended the warranty on the timing chain.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by It'sNotCute!
I think I figured out what my SA meant when he said, "warranty". Just like how MINI extended the warranty on the HPFP to 100,000 miles, I think MINI extended the warranty on the timing chain.
That makes sense, I also have the letter extending the HPFP to ten years.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:06 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Finally!! Now I can feel like I can keep my "time bomb" further out of warranty. It was one thing that pressured me to consider trading in. Thanks to whomever filed the class action that ultimately got them to fess up, before any litigation had to happen. Presuming that's how it went down.

Now for the thermostats please?? I'd like to get my $800 back from that defective part.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You spent $800 on a thermostat?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 AM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by muzak
Finally!! Now I can feel like I can keep my "time bomb" further out of warranty. It was one thing that pressured me to consider trading in. Thanks to whomever filed the class action that ultimately got them to fess up, before any litigation had to happen. Presuming that's how it went down.

Now for the thermostats please?? I'd like to get my $800 back from that defective part.
I was thinking about trading mine in, too, considering the timing chain's proneness to fail and the poor Consumer Reports (CR) ratings. Since I'm certain the CR ratings were somewhat tied to the timing chain failures, the CR ratings should improve and I'll no longer feel that this will be my first and last MINI/BMW product. My thermostat and water pump already failed (I know BMW knows how to engineer them to last longer), which sucks, but I may now have a F56 or a 3 series in my future. Thanks MINI/BMW.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 AM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
I'll let everyone know what part numbers were used once I get my car back from the shop.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
is it just the gen 2 MCS? or the gen 2 MC as well?

Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 AM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
I'd be surprised if this doesn't affect the gen 2 MC, too.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 AM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Subscribed. I had my dealer replace the timing tensioner a few times, but if this ever comes to Canada, I will make him do it again, just in case.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
You spent $800 on a thermostat?
Unfortunately, yes. I was between a rock and a hard place where I could not do the labor myself. Some of that was for another part (related), but it was a year ago now and I'm not remembering what that was. I'd have to dig out the receipt. I def feel taken advantage of about the whole situation. I had only about 25k miles at the time and to hear that others were getting goodwill'd just pissed me off.

Last edited by muzak; 08-30-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Saltysalt
ditto this q - i wonder if i can service my non-s as well. i really wonder though... mini of stl's service department doesn't really seem to be the most honest out there

Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm just curious (since I haven't looked into it yet) what labor could be involved for a shop to bend someone over for $800 on such a cheap part that on most cars is an easy job. That kinda sucks but what's done is done.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
grZack
1st Gear
would be gr8

Excellent news, now I am wondering whether the recall will only happen in the US or in Europe as well.

btw, I just heared from a Citroen dealer while I bought an injector cleaner, that -at least here in Hungary- the delaer replaces the entire timing chain, casette, tensioner, etc after the warranty. Only 'must' is to have all the stamps in the system from official dealers.
I'll wait for mid Sept to ask my dealer on this.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
I'm just curious (since I haven't looked into it yet) what labor could be involved for a shop to bend someone over for $800 on such a cheap part that on most cars is an easy job. That kinda sucks but what's done is done.
Tell me about it.

Over-engineering. You can't just change the 'stat. It's an entire enclosed assembly that resembles a heart and is not that easily accessible (tiny hands are a plus).

Last edited by muzak; 08-30-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains!