Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 04:03 PM
33EJB
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone know if this applies to Canadian - sold MINI's as well?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:23 AM
bimmershark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welp i had been hearing a little bit of noise in the morning so i have been keeping an eye on it started it so i could move it and mow the lawn and it was quite louder it settled down after running for a few ...

Gonna give the dealer a call in a bit and see whats up

Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hey howard, i just called the dealer about mine. going in tomorrow for them to inspect it and the SA said most likely they will do it for free.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:42 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by chifanpoe
That is great news!

I just called Mini of St. Louis and was informed that they do not have any official information on it yet, though it seamed that they knew what I was talking about. If replaced now it would be an out of pocket expense.
I'm in the STL area too, please post if they start doing these - though I'm curious if they will cover non-S minis as well.. according to the recall site (http://www.miniusa.com/recalllookup/) I've got no open recalls...

Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 PM
jamadeus
1st Gear
Hello, I've been hearing small rattle noise when started for few months now and also getting the engine light on/off as well. Checked the code and it showed P0015 CEL ["B" Camshaft Position -Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)]. Would this be caused by this timing chains issue? Mine is 2010 justa with 68k on it.

thanks.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
I'm in the STL area too, please post if they start doing these - though I'm curious if they will cover non-S minis as well.. according to the recall site (http://www.miniusa.com/recalllookup/) I've got no open recalls...
Count me in on this as well, another STL guy here. Although I was thinking of calling them sometime this week to see for myself. I thought the timing chain wasn't an issue on base Coopers am I incorrect?

Old 09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamadeus
Hello, I've been hearing small rattle noise when started for few months now and also getting the engine light on/off as well. Checked the code and it showed P0015 CEL ["B" Camshaft Position -Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)]. Would this be caused by this timing chains issue? Mine is 2010 justa with 68k on it.

thanks.
you may want to get it checked out. timing chain could have skipped a tooth.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 3lusive
Count me in on this as well, another STL guy here. Although I was thinking of calling them sometime this week to see for myself. I thought the timing chain wasn't an issue on base Coopers am I incorrect?
seems the above justa had an issue. i think the chain just fails faster on the s's because they make more power or whatever, but an eventual issue on justas as well?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Quijote
1st Gear
Wife's S has an issue where the dipstick won't go in for the last ~3-4". Car is going in next Monday. It is an '07 with 32k miles on the nose. We'll see if they cover it as it is certainly at least a chain guide issue.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM
bimmershark
1st Gear
I go in early thursday i am 99 percent sure i have the start of the issue and i am hoping they take care of it...

Otherwise i have my aftermarket warranty to fall back on (sold to me thru mini as mine wasnt a cpo ) if mini refuses to repair it (if in fact that is the issue) i am gonna be extremely disappointed i have been a bmw owner for a long time and love them as well as the minis (hence the reason i got one was the easy choice)

Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
FYI for my fellow St Louisians -

I just called the service department and the guy there had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Please give them a call so they're at least aware this is upcoming

Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM
bimmershark
1st Gear
went in today here is what i have so far..

1. the service advisor i worked with today rocks compared to the other guy

2. i have the noise on start up and it goes away a little after a bit..he said what likely is happening is the tensioner looses its pressure over night and at start up its slowly building it back.

he said he would have no issue bringing it in confirming the issue calling mini/bmw and doing the work...but he said the best bet since mine is in the early stages is to keep an eye (ear?) on it...and call to get update in a few weeks he said the best thing is to wait for the official announcement so they have a complete rundown of what will be replaced and done in the service ..

he said he has the update parts in stock to do the service and it will last but they could at the last min make some changes or add in other parts etc..and with the warranty being an unknown (either like the hpfp or only a two year period) he thinks waiting will be the best way to go ..

so its worth calling your dealer ( i feel bad for those who only have shitty dealers near them) and figure out where you stand with how bad it is...if its loud all the time get it in and try and get it replaced if its like mine and only starting to make some noise wait (obviously this is just how i am doing it and in no way recommending it as the failsafe way to go )

Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bimmershark
went in today here is what i have so far..

1. the service advisor i worked with today rocks compared to the other guy

2. i have the noise on start up and it goes away a little after a bit..he said what likely is happening is the tensioner looses its pressure over night and at start up its slowly building it back.

he said he would have no issue bringing it in confirming the issue calling mini/bmw and doing the work...but he said the best bet since mine is in the early stages is to keep an eye (ear?) on it...and call to get update in a few weeks he said the best thing is to wait for the official announcement so they have a complete rundown of what will be replaced and done in the service ..

he said he has the update parts in stock to do the service and it will last but they could at the last min make some changes or add in other parts etc..and with the warranty being an unknown (either like the hpfp or only a two year period) he thinks waiting will be the best way to go ..

so its worth calling your dealer ( i feel bad for those who only have shitty dealers near them) and figure out where you stand with how bad it is...if its loud all the time get it in and try and get it replaced if its like mine and only starting to make some noise wait (obviously this is just how i am doing it and in no way recommending it as the failsafe way to go )
i got basically the same rundown from my dealer yesterday

Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
how is "Id be happy to fix it, but you might want to wait until the official announcement comes out" a run around?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM
bimmershark
1st Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
how is "Id be happy to fix it, but you might want to wait until the official announcement comes out" a run around?

he wrote rundown as in he got the same info from the dealer not run around lol easy mistake

Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM
TR56
2nd Gear
Any idea if it will be covered if you are not the original owner...considering buying an '08 MCS...just doing my due diligence...coming from an RX-8 with engine replacement issues...was kinda hoping this little car would not have this kind of issue...

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM
bimmershark
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TR56
Any idea if it will be covered if you are not the original owner...considering buying an '08 MCS...just doing my due diligence...coming from an RX-8 with engine replacement issues...was kinda hoping this little car would not have this kind of issue...
Shouldnt be an issue as i am not the original owner of mine

Old 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM
TR56
2nd Gear
Good to know. I have been looking for one for a few weeks, and finally found one...fingers crossed, I go check it out in about an hour!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bimmershark
he wrote rundown as in he got the same info from the dealer not run around lol easy mistake

wow yeah, definitely misread that. oops lol

Old 09-12-2013, 12:33 PM
whrisk
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
wow yeah, definitely misread that. oops lol
lol, i did not get the run around.

the tech that i talked to has been there since mini came to the US. i just happened to know the guy, not like a good friend more of friend of a friend type of thing. but what he was telling me made total sense.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
FYI for my fellow St Louisians -

I just called the service department and the guy there had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. Please give them a call so they're at least aware this is upcoming
Do you remember which SA you talked to?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine's in the dealer as we speak. I've had the service done once already and can hear it beginning to rattle again.

When they plugged my key in there was nothing flagged as it having an outstanding warranty recall/service notice. So the program hasn't started yet. I asked when they were planning on rolling out the program and he said "it's coming". Like I said, mine is just at the beginning of the process. When you turn it on after sitting, the noise is there for about 15 to 20 seconds. I'm pretty sure that they are going to tell me that it's not bad enough for them to fix it. I'm about 1000 miles from 50,000 and wanted to take the shot at getting it fixed under the original warranty. Hopefully, they'll extend the warranty and I won't need to worry about it.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM
liveepic
Neutral
Apologies to anyone out there getting inaccurate info from their dealers, just spoke to mine here in Denver and was greatly encouraged. The service advisor knew quite a bit about what was coming and confirmed that it will be a warranty extension, not a recall. I have about 63,000 on my 2007 R56 and he said they would likely extend my warranty out past 100,000, but it kinda sounded like for whatever amount of miles you have they will just go beyond that.

I'm scheduled for a preliminary appointment for the water pump recall and a measurement/assessment of my timing chain. The service advisor said the campaign had been ramping up for the last couple months, but he had no firm date for when it would officially begin.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Quijote
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Quijote
Wife's S has an issue where the dipstick won't go in for the last ~3-4". Car is going in next Monday. It is an '07 with 32k miles on the nose. We'll see if they cover it as it is certainly at least a chain guide issue.
Update: Mini will cover the full cassette replacement (parts & labor). My wife dealt with them so I don't know details regarding the warranty extension/campaign/whatever. But it appears the guy had to clear the repair with MINI and "was able to convince them." The low mileage in our car seems to have helped quite a bit.

That said, as you can imagine from being the only Mini dealer in Boston, Herb Chambers was VERY well aware of this chronic issue.

We might get the car back as early as tomorrow.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
I'm getting more and more concerned now. I really hope they're following through this time. Though I'm curious if they'll put a mileage/age cap on it. My 07 is my daily driver year round and I do a few road trips a year as well. As the weather has dropped down to about 50-60 at night/morning now, I'm getting noticeable noise upon cold start up and would love for this to be covered. The fact that a company has such a massive failure rate on a "lifetime" part such as a timing chain really burns my *** that it has taken this long to man-up.

Quick Reply: MINI has issued campaign/recall to replace timing chains!