Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clicking from front drivers side and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking from front drivers side and clutch

Having a little bit of trouble diagnosing a problem with my '08 R56. I'm having two problems as of this afternoon and I'm completely stumped as to what the answer is.

First is a clicking coming from the front left tire area. It clicks whenever the engine speed changes when moving. From a start it clicks, then if I let off the gas it clicks, if I get back on the gas it clicks. It's like it's loading/unloading pressure when I give/release throttle. Hardly takes any throttle at all to get it to make noise, steering direction does not make a difference, and speed does not make a difference. It's the same noise at the same frequency regardless. It does not make noise when stopped. If I put the brakes on at let the clutch out a little (staying stopped) it will not click. As soon as it starts to roll it starts clicking.

My first thought was CV joint mainly because my car has 82,000 miles, has been lowered quite a bit on megan racing coils for the last 15,000 or so and I just recently blew out the passenger side CV boot (replaced it myself, joint ended up being ok...caught it early enough). I also track this car every other month or so. I inspected the CV joint pretty closely and it looks and sounds just fine, nothing like what I was getting from the passenger side when it began to dry out after the boot blew. My next thought was possibly the brake pads (long shot). I have had pads in the past that click a little here and there, but not like I am getting right now. I went ahead and replaced them just to rule it out anyway and like I expected there was no change. Next thought was suspension, being lowered with the coils, tracking, etc maybe something came loose and is just shifting around. Went through and all the bolts related to steering/suspension are at torque specs. Everything is solid, no play in any of the parts, steering is on point and nothing feels loose. It also had an alignment several weeks ago.

I literally have no idea what it could be, other than possibly transmission related. I only think this because of another issue that started up this last week. When I push the clutch it it makes this clicking/creaking/squeaking noise, much louder than what I'm getting from the front left. It does it when I press the clutch in, and again when I let it out. It's not a good sound, and it is definitely coming from right next to or within the transmission. Basically not the pedal, I had someone else push the clutch in/out and looking in the engine bay it sounds like its coming from the transmission itself. I haven't had time this week to get under the car and take a look yet, but I'm hoping someone else can help me out a little with an idea.

I'm going to check the transmission/motor mounts tomorrow morning and see if it's just shifting, I have had the upper engine mount on the passenger side get loose before. It doesn't quite explain everything though. I'm completely stumped on this one. Any thoughts

Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
I've searched for hours on google, this forum, etc and I've only found one thread so far that followed what I was getting:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...release-3.html

This was a video that the guy took of his car that he posted in that thread. It is the EXACT noise I am getting with my car. It started suddenly this last week. The video makes it seem quiet, but it is VERY noticeable from outside the car. It's much harder to hear with the windows up.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
I'm interested to hear what you find out, as my clutch is making a similar creaking noise when the pedal goes in and out.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
I had my brother listen to it and he said possibly wheel bearing for the clicking coming from the front left. It definitly sounds like its getting worse. No luck yet on finding the creaking/clicking from the clutch...I replaced the transmission fluid today and checked the brake/clutch fluid and it looks good. I'm thinking I may have to take it to a local shop.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 AM
It'sNotCute!
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2008 R56, too, and I think I hear the same clicking you do. My car clicks when I accelerate from a stop at a swift pace or when I'm moving and I take my foot off the gas albeit not so much. I'm thinking wastegate but haven't had the chance to look around under the hood, yet.

As for bearings, don't they make a roaring sound when they start to go?

Craig

Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 AM
arsci
3rd Gear
Just got back from under my car. The clutch creak sounds like its coming from the clutch slave under the tranny. That also probably explains the weird feeling i'm starting to get in the clutch and the little bit of fluid under there.

As for the clicking, I'm really thinking it's not the wheel bearing now because there is no play in the wheel and it sounds and feels completely normal when messing with it up on jackstands. My big fear is it's the axle, but tomorrow morning I'm going to disconnect the sway bar and see if there is any difference. It only seems to change with the suspension loading/unloading under accel/decel. I don't notice any change with steering direction or speed. Just engine load.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
On one of my other cars, the CV joints bolt up to the stub axle (on one end) and the output flange (on the other). When the bolts are loose, one classic symptom is a single click or clunk when the car first starts moving. I don't know how the half-shafts are retained in these cars, but it's worth inspecting them...

Old 08-17-2013, 03:55 PM
mmdouglas
1st Gear
I have an 07 MCS making that same clicking noise you described. I have been trying to figure out what is causing it but have been unsuccessful.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 AM
baznight
3rd Gear
The noise in the video is from the throw out bearing and guide tube. They aren't accessible to lube without removing the trans, so if you removed the trans it just makes sense to replace the complete clutch kit and guide tube and then make sure you lube all the contact points. When you remove the trans and inspect the guide tube and throw out bearing you will see the wear marks.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:14 AM
Roadrunning
1st Gear
We developed the same front left clicking noise a couple weeks ago. It sounds exactly like dropping a plastic Easter egg--a sharp click.

The difference is, we're just barely at 12,000 miles on an automatic transmission 2013 R60. Going to call the dealership on Monday--will report back on the outcome.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by baznight
The noise in the video is from the throw out bearing and guide tube. They aren't accessible to lube without removing the trans, so if you removed the trans it just makes sense to replace the complete clutch kit and guide tube and then make sure you lube all the contact points. When you remove the trans and inspect the guide tube and throw out bearing you will see the wear marks.
If that's the case, does it need to be fixed?

I just had my entire clutch/flywheel replaced, including the throw out bearing and guide tube, at an independent shop a few months ago.

Now, I've got this creaking noise when pressing and releasing the clutch pedal, as well as the feeling of a slight "click" or "notch" underfoot simultaneous to when the pedal makes the creaking sound.

The thought of paying labour to remove the transmission to get to this problem is not appealing. Not. One. Bit!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 AM
baznight
3rd Gear
Hey Sound, on your vehicle it sounds like you issue is with your clutch pedal bushings. When they go bad they will make a noise and also allow the pedal to flex during travel and contact part of the brake pedal assembly, hence the (notch feeling). With a flashlight, try getting under your dash and work the clutch pedal by hand and you should see where its making contact. If you find this is whats going on, you can try lubing the spring assembly and trimming the flashing that is actually making the contact point.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:37 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
Just to update this thread, I ended up trading the car in. I was however able to trace the creaking sound from the clutch back to the slave cylinder on the bottom of the transmission. There was a slight oil residue around it as well.

As far as the clicking noise under accel/decel, I was never able to really find out what was causing this. I believe it was happening somewhere inside the transmission, possibly with the clutch.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
What's this black thing? (Pic attached.)

This is where I traced my creaking sound. When I rest my fingers against the black plastic thing and have someone press the clutch pedal, I hear the creaking coming from here and can feel the vibration as it makes each creak.

Cost to fix?

DIY-able?

OK to live with it the way it is??

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Clicking from front drivers side and clutch-img_20130918_145502.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 PM
arsci
3rd Gear
Don't know about cost/difficulty but I can tell you that is your clutch slave cylinder. What you described was the same with my car, could hear and feel that cylinder creaking.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:42 PM
sato
Neutral
Sorry, I am new and just find out this thread. I have exactly the same clic noise on and off accel pedal from passenger side. Anybody find out what this is about?

Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 PM
Peanut61
Banned
my god, the Mini is a POS