Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

I found cheap Purge control or tank vent valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found cheap Purge control or tank vent valve

If anyone needs a tank vent valve or Purge control valve I found a cheap source. I've been getting intermittent fault codes related to the evap system. P0441 (leak in evap system) and P0456 (purge control valve malfunction or something) on my 06 R53. Anyways. I replaced the gas cap a while back and things were groovy for a bit, but skip 6 months down the rd and it's happening again. So I called my local Southbay MINI parts department and they wanted $145 for the Tank vent valve (BMW Part # 13-90-7-752-086). Damn!!! So I found it online from Bav Auto for about $85, but still a bit rich since I'm not 100$ sure where the problem is since I haven't done a leak test. I don't want to spend $85 bucks if I'm just guessing.

Well I noticed that the number on the tank vent valve (or purge control valve if so inclined) is Delphi 1997278. Well I put that number into the google and it's used on a ton of cars. I looked up that number at my local autozone and Oreillys and sure enough they had them and for $20. It doesn't list as being compatible with MINI, but it is the identical part.

For $20 I gave it a try. Part looks identical to the original and even has Delphi 1997278 written on it, just like the OEM equipment. I cleared the codes and I guess we'll have to see, but if you are in a jam and don't want to pay through the nose, give the local AutoZone, NAPA, or whatever a try using that Delphi # and you might be able to save a few bucks.

Fingers crossed this works, otherwise it might be leak test time.

link to Autozone that might work

Old 07-31-2013, 02:53 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
I am fighting the same symptoms. Did this help you?

I will receive my second new gas cap tomorrow and I'm heading to Autozone to see if I can get one of these too.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM
trippyloaf
1st Gear
Had the same problem, bought the Delphi part and it fixed it.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
Make sure the fuel tank valve is not connected upside down. Electrical connector must be coming from the bottom of it, not coming in from the top side of the valve. This creates a bad seal on hoses.

Possible it may need a fuel tank valve but not 100%. Check the connection and see how it is.

Gas cap possible but would throw a check fuel cap light too.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:27 AM
JoeGravelle
3rd Gear
I have a p0456 as well. I will have to try this!

I do recall getting a random "check gas cap" light

Last edited by JoeGravelle; 08-01-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
I had been receiving (and resetting) "small leaks in the vent system" for a few months. I didn't think my gas cap went bad again in that short of time, but I decided to replace it anyway.

I picked up the valve referenced this morning at Autozone for about $35. I'll probably work on it on Sunday. This is right behind the inner wheel well cover on the right (passenger) rear correct?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tinythumb
Make sure the fuel tank valve is not connected upside down. Electrical connector must be coming from the bottom of it, not coming in from the top side of the valve. This creates a bad seal on hoses.

Possible it may need a fuel tank valve but not 100%. Check the connection and see how it is.

Gas cap possible but would throw a check fuel cap light too.
The one I am talking about is inside the engine bay. Black valve with two hoses connected to it on top and bottom. Used to recycle fuel fumes

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Well so far so good with my new tank vent valve. The SES light hasn't come back on, but I haven't really driven the car that much since then. Before I switched this out i had several small leak in evap codes and such. I'm guessing this is a pretty common failure. Best part is you can swap it out in under 10 minutes. Really easy. Well good luck and hopefully it works for you.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:56 PM
inch18
Neutral
I'm having the same SES problem with the small EVAP leak. I'm also getting codes indicating all of my O2 sensors are bad (which I doubt. I'm thinking this is due to the EVAP leak). I had a smoke test done today and the smoke seemed to be coming from under the passenger side rear wheel well. Any idea as to what this could be?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:21 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
The one I am talking about is inside the engine bay. Black valve with two hoses connected to it on top and bottom. Used to recycle fuel fumes
ThankYouVeryMuch. Found it and changed it in about 15 minutes.

Hopefully that cures my issue.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Tinythumb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ThomB
ThankYouVeryMuch. Found it and changed it in about 15 minutes.

Hopefully that cures my issue.
Hopefully too! You just replaced it?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM
ThomB
5th Gear
Hopefully too! You just replaced it?
Yea. Picked up the part on Thursday (mine was $36 and change at Autozone) but Left Friday for a long weekend on the motorcycle. My wife said the car had been sputtering at stops and not wanting to accelerate from the line. After replacement I drove it to the gas station for a fill up and we drove it again tonight. So far so good...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Old thread but thanks. Was $22 plus tax at my local Autozone. Way cheaper than the $80 mini wants.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So any updates if this solved your problems? I have been fighting code P0456 for years. I reset it it comes on. I reset it, pass smog then it comes on. I have a love hate relationship with my engine light. It is as if the car is saying hello. But I am ready for this code to go away. I just was not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on this code.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gpwpat
So any updates if this solved your problems? I have been fighting code P0456 for years. I reset it it comes on. I reset it, pass smog then it comes on. I have a love hate relationship with my engine light. It is as if the car is saying hello. But I am ready for this code to go away. I just was not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on this code.
It solved my check engine light and rough running.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
I stopped by auoparts store on my way to work. swapped in parking lot. tool literally less than a minute. so far no code. Great find. was worth the gamble.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Sad to report this did not fix my problem. I'll have to look at other components in the system.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Code came back? I didn't really need one, I just broke one of the plastic clips on mine when I changed engine mounts and since it was only $20 it was worth the swap.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
actulsiz
4th Gear
This post helped me out! I was about to pull the plug and purchase the OEM fuel vent valve for $100 plus and decided to spend $22 at my local autozone just to make sure that it was the problem. Upon changing out the old with the new, I checked the part numbers and I was shocked to find that part# and manufactuer on both were identical! Nevertheless it fixed the problem! No more SES light!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 AM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hate to say it but I had the same problem for about a year just simply reset the light.
I changed out the purge valve and hav'nt had the light come on in 2 months now
Keeping my fingers crossed

Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 PM
russian2
1st Gear
On rockauto I've found out that Dorman 911-035 is another name of the same Vapor Canister Purge Valve.

$19.55 shipped and it looks like it has cured my SES with P0442 right away. It is weird but the SES has turned off right away, the code I had to reset with an OBD scanner.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 AM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Glad to hear this worked for some of you. My car is still code free. For $20 not a bad gamble.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 AM
j-gregs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ThomB
Yea. Picked up the part on Thursday (mine was $36 and change at Autozone) but Left Friday for a long weekend on the motorcycle. My wife said the car had been sputtering at stops and not wanting to accelerate from the line. After replacement I drove it to the gas station for a fill up and we drove it again tonight. So far so good...
Didn't realize a bad tank vent valve or purge control valve caused the stumble and rough idle. My boss has an 04 R50 and at a stop light it stumbled pretty hard and was idling rough. I thought it was going to stall. DIdn't think anything other than maybe time for some seafoam. Then she told me her CEL came on a short time later. I pulled the code and sure enough P0456. I checked her gas cap, but now I'll just replace the purge valve and see if that clears the code and the occassional rough idle. The oreilly numbers for the Delphi 1997278 are CP214 ($17.99- Canister purge valve) and 214-641 (ACDelco - Canister Purge Valve/Solenoid). I'll post back and let youguys know if this works for her as well.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:59 PM
MrVid
Neutral
Thank you TinyThumb

[QUOTE=Tinythumb;3784329]Make sure the fuel tank valve is not connected upside down. Electrical connector must be coming from the bottom of it, not coming in from the top side of the valve. This creates a bad seal on hoses.

I had serviced the supercharger and replaced the oil. In putting everything back together the fuel tank valve was replaced upside down. It's so easy and almost logical to make this mistake. I was receiving P0455 code daily. You saved me hours this weekend of rechecking, and probably still making the same mistake, all the various lines and seals. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Old 08-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Murrayn
Neutral
Thank you

The original post is 4 years old, but you just saved me a ton of money. They wanted to charge me a total of $230 for part and labor. I went to the auto parts store, found this purge valve for $35, took it to the mechanic and boom.... $27 for labor and it was done.

AND mini works perfectly. It solved my rough idle, poor acceleration from a stop, and "check gas cap emission leak" code!

Quick Reply: I found cheap Purge control or tank vent valve