Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Engine Seized at 76k 07 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Seized at 76k 07 MCS

Hello everyone I have just sent off an email to Mini USA in hopes that they can do something for me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. here is the email I sent.

-------------------------

I want to start off by saying I love my r56 Mini Cooper S hardtop. When I was in the market for a new car I shopped around looking at the Honda fit, Toyota Yaris, and Volkswagen GTI. I ultimately decided on Mini because of the craftsmanship, quality, fun factor. I customized my Cooper S online and enjoyed tracking the build status of my car all the way to its delivery.
My Mini arrived for me to pick up on a very lucky day 7/7/07. Once I saw my Mini for the first time, the grin on my face was so large that stretched from ear to ear and has been everlasting.

Almost every time I fill up at the gas station I've had someone ask me about my Mini. How do you like it? I love it. How's the gas mileage? Excellent. Is it easy to drive? Very easy to drive, park, and most of all fun. I enjoy my Mini so much that whenever there is an opportunity to talk Mini I dive right in. My love for Mini has spread to my family and friends as well.

After owning my Mini for about year I convinced my dad that he should get one as well, and a week later he was driving off the dealer lot in a new Mini Cooper S hardtop with that infectious ear to ear grin. In 2011 my grandma was in need of a new car and what better car to get than the same one that the rest of the family is enjoying a Mini Cooper S hardtop. She is well into her 60's and has just as much fun zipping around town as my dad and myself. Last year a co worker found out I drove a Mini and we got into deep conversations about my love for the car, it's drivability, it's smile factor, and it's small yet powerful bulldog attitude. A month later she is experiencing the joy that all Mini owners share.

My mini has been apart of me for the past 5.7 years. We've gone on road trips to the grand canyon, to the mountains for skiing, to Mini Cooper club meet ups, and even joined parts of Mini Takes the States. I truly enjoy chatting about Minis.

Over the years I have babied my Mini. Going above and beyond the normal Maintenance. Changing the oil in between when the service indicator said it needed oil. Never treated the car rough except for a few zesty sport mode runs on the open highway. Even with all the love and care I have put into my Mini it has had it's faults. Over the years I have had to replace the fuel pump, and the water pump due to them failing. The thermometer twice, the first time due to the new water pump pressure messing it up, then second due a check engine light. I've replaced the valve cover twice, first because of a check engine light which was determined to be a seal issue. The second time was a preventive measure to hopefully fix a oil consumption issue. The car was using a lot of oil, much more now than it ever did in my first few years of owning it. I've come to terms with these repairs and was happy to pay for them because I want my Mini to last, I love it, and I love sharing my joy with others.

However this past Sunday March 17th my joy quickly turned to sadness and disappointment when the oil pump drive broke, causing a snowball effect of failures within the engine leaving my car completely dead, engine seized, on the side of the freeway. How could something like this happen to such a well maintained car with just under 76000 miles on it? I was expecting this car to last me for many many more years.

I am now stuck with a very hard decision. Scrap my Mini and loose that which has been apart of my life and brought so much joy and happiness to myself and others. Or find a way to fix my broken heart, on a student budget.

I am currently a student finishing my last semester of graduate school at Chapman University in Orange California. Due to the nature of my situation this does not leave me with much in terms of funds for such and expensive repair bill.

I have gotten estimates for the cost of replacing the engine from Crevier Mini in Santa Ana California. The estimate total is $9,263.40 well beyond what I can afford as student.

It really saddens me that my Mini would die before its 6th birthday and with relatively low miles for its age. It causes me to wonder if one of the reasons I purchased the car, quality of the craftsmanship, is actually true. On NorthAmericanMotoring.com there are so many reports of different issues related to the R56 engine, it's a bit ridiculous. From failed vacuum pumps, water pumps, and fuel pumps, to the dreaded "cold start death rattle" ie chain tensioner. How have so many things gone wrong in a car that is rated with such high customer satisfaction.

I have pleaded my case to you because I hope that you, Mini USA, can find it in your heart to help out a loyal and supportive customer who has shared my joy for Mini with the world.

For reference my Vin number is: ***************
I can send a copy of the estimate for repairs from Crevier Mini, just tell me where to send it. I also have records of all maintenance and upkeep done to my Mini and will provide those if requested.

Thank you very much for your time.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry that this is happening to you and I hope that MINI USA will do the right thing and help you out, it's really a shame with such low mileage. Please keep us posted

Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
masternut
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sad - I hope they step up to the plate!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Very sad to hear about your MINI. You can get a used engine or a reman for a lot less. Try Way at http://www.waymotorworks.com/ or Arric at http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/Mini-E...d-Exhaust.html

I will keep my fingers crossed MINI helps you out. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very sad. Your letter is very well written and genuine. And all of what you have done to your MINI in terms of repairs is happening to lots of MINI folks. I just had my water pump replaced at 72K and I feel exactly the same as you - I'll gladly sort out the repair because I love the car so much. But there is something wrong here...

MINI really does have to address the reliability issue with every part you listed. The engine seizure with that mileage and care is pretty inexcusable.

I hope it works out - keep this thread updated with how it's going. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Question, if you don't mind me asking, who performed your routine/ahead of schedule maintenance on your vehicle such as oil services? Dealer? If not, do you or can you provide proper documentation to show you have performed preventive maintenance or routine professional inspections on the vehicles engine and components? If you hold these documents in hand or have had your MINI properly serviced regularly by an authorized MINI/BMW you may stand a good chance that MINIUSA may indeed "Good Will" a new engine and may only ask you pay the labor portion @ warranty time which in honesty would be more then fair as seeing that in "technical terms" your MINI is no longer under the manufactures warranty. I've seen it happen a number of times, but it only happens when the owner of the vehicle has been religious about properly maintaining his or her vehicle (with proof & proper documentation to prove so) or has a great maintenance/repair history for their vehicle through MINI/BMW.

Good Luck, and let us know the outcome regardless of good or poor.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Do you feel that they would not honor oil changes (documented) done by shops other than MINI/BMW?

Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Do you feel that they would not honor oil changes (documented) done by shops other than MINI/BMW?
I can not say they would, or wouldn't, but in either situation having the documentation of someone/someplace (who provides this service professionally or is licensed from a business standpoint) that has recorded the intervals of when the service was performed with itemization of parts used to perform service will only help in his situation as well as show that the vehicle has been maintained. You'd be surprised at how many backyard hackjob oil changes happen every minute of the day by people who (you'd think with such a simple task) still find a way to botch such a simple service. I personally have herd people attempt to tell me ( ) that their oil filter (cheap paper that honestly consists of materials that probably add to to less then 15-20 cents when produced in mass) is good for multiple oil service intervals (such as it will last 20-25k miles of filteration). So you could only imagine the discretion manufactures (not only MINI/BMW) would have when it comes to the above scenario, especially if the customer has little or no documentation of proper service. Even then, they could still tell him to go kick rocks because he is long outside (date & mileage) of MINI's 4/50k (unless he has an extended warranty through MINIUSA or 3rd party) and was made aware of this time frame during the purchasing of the vehicle.

Now do I personally feel the engine should have performed for a far longer extended period of time (with the notion that the owner did properly maintain it) absolutely without a doubt. Do I also feel that MINI/BMW as a company should do what many here will consider "the right thing", Yes I do. But are they contractually obligated to do either? Hate to be the one to take the Jam out of the doughnut but...no they are not.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
They have to honor it if it was done by a repair facility. There are laws to protect you if they do not. Now they can deny it if it was performed by you.
The applicable statute is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The Federal Trade Commission's job is to enforce this law. In a consumer alert, the FTC says this law "makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work."
Complain. Don't be reluctant to go right up the ladder with your concerns. This means that you shouldn't stop with the dealership. Consider your Attorney General, Better Business Bureau and FTC as part of your tool box.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
They have to honor it if it was done by a repair facility. There are laws to protect you if they do not. Now they can deny it if it was performed by you.
The applicable statute is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The Federal Trade Commission's job is to enforce this law. In a consumer alert, the FTC says this law "makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work."
Complain. Don't be reluctant to go right up the ladder with your concerns. This means that you shouldn't stop with the dealership. Consider your Attorney General, Better Business Bureau and FTC as part of your tool box.
I would and do agree with you.

However (and i do stress however) I would definitely go through the proper channels and allow the dealership to shut the door before you go knocking on others. You will find trying to step ahead of the door does not get your foot through it to the greener pastures sought out.

Now with business reporting groups/agencies...the Better Business Bureau is a joke plain and simple, and has been for well over 10 years and not worth the time reporting anything to. There resolution process is @ best non-existent. Want a good rating? How much $$$ you got? Accredited means nothing these days especially when it comes to the BBB's.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
My suggestion....Do not hope for help from MINI...with 70K plus miles, I kinda doubt they would but IF they did....
they MIGHT/COULD give you a discount or break of as much as 50% off the $10,000 repair bill, and the cost WOULD STILL BE MORE that the cost of getting a new motor from a 3rd party like Waymotorworks, and having it shipped to you, and installed.....

Cooper S N14 Complete Engine 2007-2010 R55 R56 R57 MINI Cooper S. If you have had a timing chain fail, major overheat, or seized vacuum pump kill your engine this may be your saving grace. This is a complete New Engine from MINI, not some cheap rebuild and comes with the MINI 2 year warranty.
Parts included with engine:
Complete longblock from oil pan to valve cover
New water pump
New vacuum pump
New oil filter housing
New Thermostat
New Water pump to Thermostat housing
All internals new including timing chain, pistons, rods,
Bearings, seals, valves, guides, cams, and so on.

Fits 2007-2010 Cooper S R56
Fits 2008-2010 Clubman S R55
Fits 2009-2011 Cabrio S R57

Details

SKU N14Engine
Price: Call for current price
Options

http://www.waymotorworks.com/n14-com...-cooper-s.html

For even less, a USED motor could be had from a wrecked car....lets face it...once you turn on a key, ANY motor is USED....YOURS had 70,000 miles....so getting a used one with 50,000 miles would be an UPGRADE!!

Good luck, and just keep in mind, ANY replacement motor with LESS THAN the 70,000 miles YOUR car had will be a NET gain to the value of your car compared to before the "event".
Crap happens, but sometimes, you just have to understand Crap happens...has nothing to do with how good of a person you or the company you have dealt with is.......Parts fail.... and sometimes just getting on with you life and fixing stuff is the best way to go.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
My suggestion....Do not hope for help from MINI...with 70K plus miles, I kinda doubt they would but IF they did....
they MIGHT/COULD give you a discount or break of as much as 50% off the $10,000 repair bill, and the cost WOULD STILL BE MORE that the cost of getting a new motor from a 3rd party like Waymotorworks, and having it shipped to you, and installed.....
http://www.waymotorworks.com/n14-com...-cooper-s.html

For even less, a USED motor could be had from a wrecked car....lets face it...once you turn on a key, ANY motor is USED....YOURS had 70,000 miles....so getting a used one with 50,000 miles would be an UPGRADE!!

Good luck, and just keep in mind, ANY replacement motor with LESS THAN the 70,000 miles YOUR car had will be a NET gain to the value of your car compared to before the "event".
Crap happens, but sometimes, you just have to understand Crap happens...has nothing to do with how good of a person you or the company you have dealt with is.......Parts fail.... and sometimes just getting on with you life and fixing stuff is the best way to go.
This is another option if all else fails. You could easily find someone to install a used engine or new for under 1k in labor (650-800) and i've seen this plenty of times. You could easily net a used motor with 40-50k in miles installed for under $4500. Toss another $800-1k @ that engine (considering you'll be out of warranty anyhow) and you could have yourself a really fun n14.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Great letter, hope they at least help you out with part of the repair bill.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great letter and good luck. Just playing the other side here though. If they come back and say "sorry, but good luck" I wouldn't be supposed either. I just hope they do try to step up, but if they don't...it won't be reason to bad mouth MINI USA or car the DA, BBB, etc and whine. They covered the car up to 50k and that is all that they were obligated to unless you got an extended warranty.

Call Way and he can get a new N14 for around $4k or so I think. You should be able to get it installed for maybe $5k in total (plus or minus of course).

Old 03-22-2013, 05:29 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
.it won't be reason to bad mouth MINI USA or car the DA, BBB, etc and whine.
I stated what I said "If they won't cover it under warranty due to him using someone other the a MINI dealer". I wanted him to know there are options and channels to follow if that happens.

Last edited by Braminator; 03-22-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
However (and i do stress however) I would definitely go through the proper channels and allow the dealership to shut the door before you go knocking on others. You will find trying to step ahead of the door does not get your foot through it to the greener pastures sought out.
Yes I agree. I was stating his options, not telling him to do it before trying the dealer and MINI.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM
nomadwillie
2nd Gear
What a shame, In this day and age of manufacturing this should never have happened. Is the oil pump on these engines a known weak point of the car and all of us should expect/suspect a failure right around 75K?

Willie

Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Is the oil pump on these engines a known weak point
Very rare.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by boOst spIKe
Question, if you don't mind me asking, who performed your routine/ahead of schedule maintenance on your vehicle such as oil services? Dealer? If not, do you or can you provide proper documentation to show you have performed preventive maintenance or routine professional inspections on the vehicles engine and components? If you hold these documents in hand or have had your MINI properly serviced regularly by an authorized MINI/BMW you may stand a good chance that MINIUSA may indeed "Good Will" a new engine and may only ask you pay the labor portion @ warranty time which in honesty would be more then fair as seeing that in "technical terms" your MINI is no longer under the manufactures warranty. I've seen it happen a number of times, but it only happens when the owner of the vehicle has been religious about properly maintaining his or her vehicle (with proof & proper documentation to prove so) or has a great maintenance/repair history for their vehicle through MINI/BMW.

Good Luck, and let us know the outcome regardless of good or poor.
All major repair work has been done via authorized mini dealers or more recently by the independent Mini repair shop Ronin Autowerks in Fullerton CA. I have had the oil changed in between the service indication for oil at a couple different places. With every oil change I have always supplied the oil and OEM filter, not a cheap paper one. I also have the entire Maintenance and service history on record.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Very sad to hear about your MINI. You can get a used engine or a reman for a lot less. Try Way at http://www.waymotorworks.com/ or Arric at http://www.jmturbocoopers.com/Mini-E...d-Exhaust.html

I will keep my fingers crossed MINI helps you out. Good luck and keep us posted.
I checked into way motors and with shipping I would only be saving 1-200 dollars vs buying from the dealer, but I could be saving up to 600 if there is no tax involved...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Shadow Executor
1st Gear
Mini got back to me!

So a bit of an update. First here are the hard numbers.

Quotes from Ronin Autowerks (specialize in BMW and MINI) in Fullerton CA.
Used engine $3650 + various parts $260 + Labor $2167 + Tax $313 = $6390
New engine $4550 + various parts $260 + Labor $2167 + Tax $385 = $7362

Crevier Mini in Santa Ana CA
New engine $4675 + various parts $731 + Labor $3422 + Tax $432 = $9263

I received a call back from Mini USA yesterday. I spoke with a very nice customer relations supervisor, who was genuinely interested in seeing there was anything he could do me. But first I had to get the car inspected at a mini dealership so today I got the car towed to Crevier Mini. I'll had to fork over the cost for inspection $160 and am awaiting the results.

Only after the inspection is finished can Mini USA step in. The CR Supervisor spoke of the possibility of them covering parts, leaving me to pay labor but this is all dependent on the inspection.

So there is a tiny sliver of hope that Mini will actually pull through.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Good people over there at Ronin Auto.

I always take my R50 and R58s (intermittent oil changes).

They really have a 'No BS' approach...hard to find shops like that.

You'd be in good hands there if things don't pan out with the dealer.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I'm pullin' for you, man!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
That is just so sad and wrong. The 2007s have a lot of issues, being first year for the second generations. That being said, they simply should NOT fail at that mileage and with that history. My heart goes out to you.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm continually Amazed at these engine issues with the R56s. IMO, NONE of this stuff should be happening. My father has a "new" Honda accord, and has never had to do Anything to it, but change the oil. Yes, I know "it's a Honda" but still, same concept: this day and age of technology should be producing engines that easily go 100k without having to replace even the spark plugs.

Hell, my 1987 celica GTS never even had this amount of major engine work! Only reason parts failed on that thing was due to shear age, and I drove the **** out of that celica! And sold it running great when I got my mini. Got a cool 1k cash

Point of the rant, is WTF is up with these parts and engines? I haven't heard nearly half this stuff for gen 1s, even on the older versions...

Quick Reply: Engine Seized at 76k 07 MCS