Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Grinding Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM
miggynuez
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding Noise

Hi all!

I have an unusual and strange grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of my 2006 R53 MCS. I am not sure if it's the wheel bearing.

I first noticed the grinding when I was going over speed bumps but it is also replicated whenever I go over rough roads. The sound is unusual and not constant at all. I also hear the grinding when I let go of the gas pedal and the car coasts over some road imperfections. Strangely, I do not hear it when I accelerate or when the car is at high speed.

Any ideas?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Post a video and maybe we can help.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM
miggynuez
2nd Gear
Hi,

I thought about that. But there is no way you can hear it with the video I did. The noise is too faint from the cabin and the road, engine, and cabin noise would drown it out. Heck, even the girlfriend couldn't hear it. I told her to filter out the road, cabin, and engine noise and she still didn't hear it. I would need special equipment to record the sound and that I do not have. :(

It's just one of those things. When you drive a car long enough, you know every normal sound it makes. And it is not normal. I'm grounding it till I fix this issue. :(

Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
It's just one of those things. When you drive a car long enough, you know every normal sound it makes.
Boy thats the truth. When good luck.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Don't you think that's from the more rigid mounts you got?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM
miggynuez
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Don't you think that's from the more rigid mounts you got?
I don't think so. I had the mounts for the past 1,500+ miles. At first, NVH was all over the place with them, but it died down after the mounts settled in.

At first I thought it was the wheel bearing. But the grinding noise happens only in specific situations. It is really noticeable when I coast slow over imperfect roads. Wouldn't bad bearings grind constantly?

I'm thinking one of the brake system components are loose as I do hear the grinding too when I brake in stop and go traffic albeit not as loud. What do you guys think?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Check the dust shield on the brakes. Maybe it is rubbing, I had that happen once. It was intermittent.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Bad bearings do the opposite. Sound gets louder @ higher speeds. Your thinking it's the suspension or engine?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM
spiculous
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miggynuez
Hi all!

I have an unusual and strange grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of my 2006 R53 MCS. I am not sure if it's the wheel bearing.

I first noticed the grinding when I was going over speed bumps but it is also replicated whenever I go over rough roads. The sound is unusual and not constant at all. I also hear the grinding when I let go of the gas pedal and the car coasts over some road imperfections. Strangely, I do not hear it when I accelerate or when the car is at high speed.

Any ideas?
Bro if it coming from pass side try this when ur driving take a good stretched turn to the right and if it stops the noise and when u cut it back to the left its ur hub bearing ........mine is my left so when I drive and turn left no sound all I hear is my custom exhaust but soon as I cut it back u hear it and its ****in annoying and loud sorry bout language guys lol I found hub bearings for 84 bucks autozone and I also recommend doing both at one time that's just me also if u a do it urselfer there is a site idr what its called u can buy the axle nuts u need also if u wanna use same bolts but red loctite and u should be good

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
spiculous
1st Gear
Hope u find out what it is I have a 02mcs its a love hate relationship when to my boys fs tuning down in Orlando and got diag of whats rong xml LOL hub bearing cv boot leakin outer I think motor mount ps hoses head gasket oil pan gasket strut mount on pass is shot I'm missing two coil grommets and cly 4 connector has a crack on the coil ruff idle at times like it will bogg down like it's trying to cut off fuel cut maybe so yeah

Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 PM
miggynuez
2nd Gear
Okay. The problem is gone! And no it's not the bearings! Haha

So I got a mechanic re-tighten everything related to the steering, suspension, and engine supports. Annnnnnnd the noise is gone! My theory is it was the engine supports. A few months back I bolted on a Vibra-technic upper engine mount and BSH Street lower engine mount. As the miles added up, the NVH became less and less as the mounts settled in. Then the grinding noise.

So maybe, just maybe, them mounts settled and needed re-tightening. After the re-tightening, NVH levels increased again but not as noticeable when they were new.

Glad this one is solved.