Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Just recieved email from Mini! WOW

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:18 AM
wendy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recieved an email from Phil with Mini saying they had try to contact me at work and at home, about my AC and acceleration problem. I wonder about them trying to contact me at home because I have caller ID and nothing has been on there. He said the upgrade that I had in Feb should fix the problem but I didn't as I told him. Had the AC on this weekend and the same thing happened. Had to cut it off in traffic or get run over in Greenville one. People down there don't know what a speed limit is. Anyway I thought is was interesting that they contacted me back. I also mentioned the problem with the wierd idling and stalling. I will keep you posted as to what happens.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:21 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wendy, that's great for you, but not particularly encouraging for any of the rest of us. MINI continues to come on this site and make a big show of grabbing the low-hanging fruit like your isolated A/C problem, while ignoring major widespread long-term issues.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:34 AM
wendy
1st Gear
Just got anothe email from Phil from Mini! He responed in like 5 minutes. He said he would like to contact Century Mini and get me back down there to find out the problem. Like I told him they will probably not find anything wrong with the car.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:48 AM
wendy
1st Gear
I don't understand how you think this is a "low hanging fruit problem" if i quoted you correctly. Someone could be killed if they are in traffice and they take and and the car decides it does not want to go. I have a two year old daughtet to think about while I am driving. When it is hot outside you should be able to run the AC without having to worry about getting run over because your car won't take off. To me this is a long term issue. :evil: PS if you will look this is not an isolated problem with just my AC. Read on and look at the graph that was posted.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:53 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
I hadn't read all the way through your other thread... Apparently a few others have had the problem as well. I'm not saying that it's not a serious problem, just that it's relatively straightforward compared to the yo-yo/stumble, and relatively isolated compared to the crap windshields. I think it's an easier problem for MINI to address. I'm glad that they're helping you out, I just wanted to point out that it's not exactly cause to change anyone's opinion about MINI's overall philosophy with respect to their customers.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:06 AM
dandp
6th Gear
Her problem is certainly not isolated. I am willing to bet it's more common than the 5 speed tranny issue on the Cooper, since I know several people personally that have had AC issues on both models. I have mentioned before that my Cooper stalls more than any car I have ever owned, and with the AC, it is very bad if one is not careful.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:12 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Alright, I apologize. I had just briefly scanned the other thread, and it didn't seem like too many people were jumping in with "me toos". Not having experienced this problem, maybe I've just been ignorant of its prevalence here. I guess there must be other threads about it. Kind of like how I was ignorant of the Cooper's transmission failures before it happened to me. THAT issue is why I'm particularly bitter toward MINI's selective issue resolution here.

Old 03-30-2004, 08:23 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Boy, this is a tough one...but let me try to explain my take on what chrisnl (and others) is saying....

The AC issue, I believe falls into the realm of "drivability" concerns and as such is BOTH incredibly easy as well as near impossible for MINI to address. IF they can convince a customer that his/her car is "fine" when there's nothing specifically broken, then all is good. If the customer remains unsatisfied, then the problem can always be passed off as "human factors" or "they all do this." My guess is that they're willing to try this and hence the offering of help here on NAM. On the other hand, a cracked windshield or leaking transmission cannot be finessed away. The windshield and tranny problems are proven problems (if you have it, you have it...no arguments) and hence demand unequivocable solutions. When BMW cannot provide such solutions, they would rather say nothing.

I have to say that I have a 2002 MCS that used to stumble. I've NEVER experienced a problem with the AC bogging the car excessively; and the CD 36 upgrade totally eliminated my stumble as well as tamed the car's previous tendency to let the traction control kill power at launch. I'm not saying that others DO NOT have an AC bog problem, but I can say that I don't. Furthermore, I don't live in FL or AZ and therefore try to limit my AC use (except when testing this problem) to as few a number of days during the summer as possible.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:17 PM
wendy
1st Gear
Glad you read on chrisnl. I have just recieved another email from phil and he said to let him know when I plan to go back to the dealership that he wants to be involved with the problem. I still say they will not find anything wrong because they are arrogant *******s. Bet it would not be that way if I was driving an $80,000 740. Anyway we will see what happens when I go back. I will let everyone know. I have also had windshield problems. On #2 now. Cost me $737. I know your pain about the windshields. I ticks me off to that they are not worth a SH*T!