Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant

I will start this long rant with the videos of what I saw when I took my car home from the dealer.

I am currently waiting to hear what needs to be done now, but lets go back to yesterday when I brought in my 08 Mini Cooper S 71,549 Miles into the Bloomington MN dealer to have my car looked at.

I currently live in the Quad Cities so I am not close to a dealer and my car is not under warranty.

I have been dealing with cold start issues that I had the coils and spark plugs replaced (About $700 in repairs.) Still didn't fix the issues where my car after it sits for a day it will start then sputter then stall. This could happen 1-6 times before the car will idle correctly and then it runs fine. After this I don't have any issues with the car and it drives fine. This would then cause a "Random Misfire on X" CEL sometimes.

So I was visiting my family in the Twin Cities so I figured I would have a "Mini Dealer" look at it and hopefully fix it. A few weeks ago my brake light went on as well so I had them look at this as well. 3rd thing was the recall for the turbo water pump that had not been done yet.

The front breaks needed to be replaced ($550) and the rear will need to be replaced soon ($350.) I say OK for the front for now...

My cold start issue I thought was related to the fuel pump and I was even told there was an extended warranty on that part. If they found that this was the issue the diagnostics wouldn't cost anything and the repair would be free. I was very happy to hear this and assumed it would be the pump.

So later in the day I call to check the status because the plan was to drive home yesterday. I was told that the "diagnostics" did not show a fault with the fuel pump so now I am paying for the testing and whatever repairs they say I need. I was then told it could be 1 of 2 things or both. They say it could be carbon buildup and this would be $600 to do or a timing belt issue where this would cost $1700 to fix. I told them that when I bought the car it was used and it had a timing belt fix in the carfax at about 30k miles. They look it up and say well that was in 09 so it is over 2 years and "Mini would not do anything as far as cost for this repair." I said this is 40k miles later there should not be an issue like this and it was very shitty that they would do nothing about it if they found it was a belt issue.

They said they would need to take off the valve cover to see and this would be per hour cost to me (30 min at about $120/hour.) I say OK to this and about an hour later I get a call saying I would need both the carbon removal and timing chain fix. They said due to some overlap in the 2 it would be around $2000. I am already at $770 in repair/diagnostics at this point. I tell them at this time I do not have the almost 3k I need to fix the car and at this point I am not thinking about sinking anymore money into what I like to call the "Mini Pooper." So for now I don't do the repairs. They say the car will be ready for you in an hour to pickup.

I picked up my car and drove it to my mothers home about 15 miles away. I get to a stoplight about 1 mile from her house and notice what looked like smoke coming from the engine bay. I don't have any lights that come on or anything and as soon as I start again I don't see anything coming from the hood. I get to her house and open the hood and it looks like my car is pissing itself by the intercooler. See attached videos.

So I call the mini dealer right away and they say to bring it back in and if they find that it was something they did that they would fix it. I am not a mechanic so I didn't know what it was at first or if it was something that I could even drive or not. I told them I had taken videos and would send them to look at. It took a while to be able to send videos but after figuring out it was the coolant they said fill up the coolant and just don't drive it in rush hour and bring it in. I got some coolant and tried to put it in but it just leaks back out. It's is now past service hours and I ask if this was OK to bring in still and I assumed not. I never got a response so today at about 7:30 am I took it to my families mechanic down the road. (1.5 miles)

I got a call about 8:30 from Mini telling me I shouldn't drive it in and I could have it towed. My car is not under warranty so of course they don't offer to have it towed or reimbursement for the tow. Also they say that if they find the issue was caused by something we did we will cover it. So I think to myself why in the hell would a mechanic say "Oh yeah I forgot to do X." They wouldn't admit to doing something wrong... All it will do is get them in trouble and cost the dealership money vs blame a part failure and now I have to pay X amount for the repair and the tow.

I am so pissed at this point. I am stuck out of state with a car I can't drive due to bringing it to a mini dealer.

Thanks for listening to me rant. I will post what I find out whenever that is...

Last edited by TSur; 08-29-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
Just got a call back from the mechanic down the road and a hole was put in the radiator. They asked what repairs were done and I told them the water pump. They said that tool or something must have punctured it while this repair was happening. So call was just made to the mini person who I have been dealing with and waiting to hear back... Freaking nightmare!

EDIT - I thought it was the water pump but was told by mini it was the pump for the turbo not related to the radiator... No idea how true this is because I am not a mechanic...

NOTE - Found out that the AUX pump for the turbo is located behind the radiator. The radiator hole was found in the BACK not the front... Hummmm

Last edited by TSur; 08-29-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added NOTE
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but stuff like that can happen. Hopefully they will make it right. Also, if you are out of warranty, why did you not try to find a local mechanic that can do the work. Would have cost you a lot less.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
Sorry to hear about your problems, but stuff like that can happen. Hopefully they will make it right. Also, if you are out of warranty, why did you not try to find a local mechanic that can do the work. Would have cost you a lot less.
I needed the recall done... I didn't want a random fire in my driveway... Figured it was the fuel pump and I would get it all done at the same time. I was even happy to hear that the pump would be covered under a warranty if that was the issue. So 17 miles later I now need radiator repaired (1k mini normal cost but was told they will see if they can give me a better deal on it...) Of corse "it was not related to the repairs they did" so it will be out of my pocket.

This mini is dead to me. I tried and failed at being a mini owner.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TSur
I needed the recall done... I didn't want a random fire in my driveway... Figured it was the fuel pump and I would get it all done at the same time. I was even happy to hear that the pump would be covered under a warranty if that was the issue. So 17 miles later I now need radiator repaired (1k mini normal cost but was told they will see if they can give me a better deal on it...) Of corse "it was not related to the repairs they did" so it will be out of my pocket.

This mini is dead to me. I tried and failed at being a mini owner.
I can understand your frustration and I totally misread the thread. Not quite sure that they aren't trying to take you for some money to be honest. It is possible that all that work needs to be done, but at a minimum they should fix you to the point that you can travel until you get home and get it looked at properly. As for the radiator, they trashed it, they need to fix it. Don't let them screw you over.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
I can understand your frustration and I totally misread the thread. Not quite sure that they aren't trying to take you for some money to be honest. It is possible that all that work needs to be done, but at a minimum they should fix you to the point that you can travel until you get home and get it looked at properly. As for the radiator, they trashed it, they need to fix it. Don't let them screw you over.
They are saying none of the work was related to the radiator and so they are not responsible. Of course being 10k out of warranty they don't care because mini won't reimburse them the cost to repair it and want to suck as much money out of me as they can.

They said they would do the repair for $525 (normally 900) but I would have to tow the car to the dealer (Another $100.) The place the car is now will do it for $625 and they have to go and pickup the part. They said it would be done today. So I am going with the none mini dealer. I assume my wheels might fall off after bringing it back Motorwerks MINI in Bloomington MN!

So $1300 in repairs and I still didn't get what I wanted to have fixed on the car fixed... At least I can sleep at night knowing my car shouldn't start on fire... However I want to light a match to it at this point.

Last edited by TSur; 08-28-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Well, my stance would be that it wasn't leaking when I brought it in and now it is. So they clearly did something to it. Sorry, but I wouldn't pay them a dime before I spoke to a lawyer if they keep that stance.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
Well, my stance would be that it wasn't leaking when I brought it in and now it is. So they clearly did something to it. Sorry, but I wouldn't pay them a dime before I spoke to a lawyer if they keep that stance.
If I didn't need to be home YESTERDAY (5 hours away.) I would try fighting this more, but I am officially beat down by my POS Mini and the dealer at this point. I just want to get home.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Just got a call back from the mechanic down the road and a hole was put in the radiator. They asked what repairs were done and I told them the water pump. They said that tool or something must have punctured it while this repair was happening. So call was just made to the mini person who I have been dealing with and waiting to hear back... Freaking nightmare!

EDIT - I thought it was the water pump but was told by mini it was the pump for the turbo not related to the radiator... No idea how true this is because I am not a mechanic...
Turbocharger cooling pump is under turbo and near oil filter at front of engine. All of these parts are very close to radiator.
On the other hand, engine cooling water pump is belt driven and on the passenger side of the engine bay.
I suspect radiator was damaged during turbo cooling pump replacement.
I would expect the MINI dealer to step up to their mistake and fix or reimburse you for radiator damage repairs.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Wouldn't they need to pull the radiator to change some of that?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming the repair that was actually done was the aux pump per the recall, no, the radiator does not have to be pulled for that repair.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:21 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Assuming the repair that was actually done was the aux pump per the recall, no, the radiator does not have to be pulled for that repair.

Wasn't sure off hand as I have an 06 and haven't dug to deeply into the 2nd gen. Thanks...

Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
So I got my car back from the mechanic and he said something had to of hit the radiator. How this can happen he didn't know since this is the back of the radiator and it is covered by a large plastic piece. He said it looks like something came in and with the fan must have bounced around but he didn't know for sure. All I know is it was fine when I took the car into Mini and after I got it back in a 15 mile drive this happened. I know the dealer doesn't want to say they were responsible but now does something get back there when it is covered. I guess an act of God...

There is one large dent that is where it leaked and about 4 other marks that seem to be in the same location as where the fan is. All of this on the back side of the radiator.

Attached Thumbnails Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant-20120828_163914-1.jpg   Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant-20120828_163908.jpg  
Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM
daflake
6th Gear
It is possible for something to bounce up and be propelled in by the fan. Rare, but it can happen.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM
TSur
2nd Gear
It is possible for something to bounce up and be propelled in by the fan. Rare, but it can happen.
This happening within 15 miles of a repair that was done right behind where the fan is that could easily been a bolt or clip that got dropped while working on it. The "rare act of God " happening in a 15 miless span is like the odds of winning the lotto. Little fishy if you ask me.

Last edited by TSur; 08-28-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: fixed my typo from auto text.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:37 PM
daflake
6th Gear
This happening within 15 miles of a repair that was done right behind where the fan is that could easily been a bolt or clip that got dropped while working on it. The "rare act of God " happening in a 15 miless span is like the odds of winning the loot. Little fishy if you askme.
I totally agree...

Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is another thread here on NAM of a fellow out in CA who had the same thing happen to him immediately after having the aux water pump recall service. The consensus was that it had to have been caused, or at least facilitated, by damage to the radiator that was made by the service department tech during the pump swap.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Travis. Hope this can be made right.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
There is another thread here on NAM of a fellow out in CA who had the same thing happen to him...
Here it is -

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...performed.html

Old 08-29-2012, 07:02 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
There is another thread here on NAM of a fellow out in CA who had the same thing happen to him immediately after having the aux water pump recall service. The consensus was that it had to have been caused, or at least facilitated, by damage to the radiator that was made by the service department tech during the pump swap.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Travis. Hope this can be made right.
Thank you, I sent this link to the person I was working with at the dealer letting them know I will be talking to Mini USA about my experience. I also talked to someone on the forum over the phone today who works as a repair person for mini (not at the one I took it to or I wouldn't be dealing with this now...) and said it was very easy for someone working on that recall to cause this issue because of the bolts and clips could easily be dropped or flung off and this being right next to the fan. I'm not holding my breath on what will be done, but I know I will let everyone I can know about it. I will not be holding onto this car much longer...

I am adding a couple pictures for reference. This was after my 16 Mile drive back from the dealer. The odometer shows after I drove the car the 1.5 miles to the independent mechanic 71,567 it was 71,549 when it was taken to Mini. So total under 20 miles driven since the recall was done.

Attached Thumbnails Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant-20120827_185736.jpg   Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant-20120828_133419.jpg   Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant-20120828_080248.jpg  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
TSur
2nd Gear
Just got off the phone with the "advisor" I worked with while I was there and was given all kinds of BS again. Talking about if you would have brought it to us we could have looked at it and seen if we were responsible and then helped you out if we were. However you didn't so BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I called mini RIGHT when I got home from my 15 min drive about the issue. At the time I didn't know what the issue was. My "Advisor" says it could be the coolant and the car overheated. He tells me that if it was the coolant that I should wait until after rush hour and drive the car back in after filling up the coolant.

I send some of the pictures/videos I posted on here to him and find it was the coolant. So I get some coolant and fill it up and I am about to drive it in however happen to notice that it is coming out almost as fast as I am putting it in. I text the advisor if this is safe to drive, but never get a response.

The next morning at 7:30am I take it to the mechanic down the road because I am hoping it is just something simple like a disconnected hose and didn't want to pay the $100 to tow the car. I just spent $770 the day before and well I am not made of money. I find out there is a crack/hole in the radiator. They can't tell where however. So I call Mini and find out that "nothing they did should have anything to do with this." However they tell me that "if it was something they are responsible for they will cover it." Ok so I heard 2 things but the big one is this: "Nothing they did should have anything to do with this." So this is telling me This is not something they will pay for. Also they do not give me any towing information on who I should talk to for this. (Remember I am from out of state.) Just say if you get it here we will look at it. Making me jump threw hoops holding the carrot on the string that they "Might have been responsible" and so they might pay for it... but there is no way to prove the fact other then 15 miles ago it was fine and now it is not. They offer me a discount price that is not any cheaper then using the mechanics "normal" price down the road. So I do the easier thing for me at this point and have the place where the car is now fix it. They give me the radiator and tell me "they have no idea how that could happen." It looks like something bounced around it there.

I find out that there are some bolts and clips that need to be taken off right behind where the radiator is by my unnamed Mini mechanic that could have easily fallen or popped off into this area and could have been assumed they fell on the ground. So more fuel to the fire I get the link that it has happened to other people...

So I guess if I would have followed what they said and brought my car in everything would have been just peachy. However if I did what they said I would have been driving my car in Monday night without coolant because it would have leaked out on my way in and who knows what else would have happened to my car being on the freeway with no coolant...

Well time to call the manager there and see what he has to say. The "Advisor" is just going in circles and I don't see any point in dealing with him anymore.

I called the manager and of course he was with someone and will get back to me ASAP. So I guess whenever it is convenient for him. I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by TSur; 08-29-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had some major issues with my MINI, and took her to the Major Denver MINI dealer last December. Without hijacking this thread, I'll just say they had no idea what they were doing. Ordered R56 parts for my R53, damaged my MINI, replaced parts that were still working, and they needed several tries to get it right. All it needed at the time was a new tranny. Also I was charged for a rental, even though I was told in writing, that they would pay for it.
I advise never getting service at a dealer, especially in Denver, CO, but I understand sometimes you don't have a choice. Some dealers will do a good job, but some won't. Just like any other shop. It sounds like they are screwing you around, just like the dealer did to me. I gave up after getting nowhere with them. I had just given them all my money, just to get a transmission replaced. So I had to move on. I still own my MINI, and I'm still just as much in love, but I know not to mess around with a dealer anymore.
I hope you're able to get them to fix what they are responsible for. I can only assume they won't make it easy though.
Whatever happened to "The Customer is Always Right?"
The only time a dealer will be seeing me, is if I have a new MINI, with a warranty. They will never see my MINI again.
I wish you luck, and hope you get it all worked out (in your favor).

Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pew1375
Whatever happened to "The Customer is Always Right?"

Actually, many companies now teach that this is not the case. The reason is that customers will take advantage of everything to get what they want even if they did the damage. In reality we all know the customer is not really always right. In this case, I think that TSur is getting ripped off and that dealership should do the right thing and reimburse the cost.

Last edited by daflake; 08-30-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Actually, many companies now teach that this is not the case. They reason is that this is like this and customers will take advantage of everything to get what they want. In reality the customer is not always right. In this case, I think that TSur is getting ripped off and that dealership should do the right thing and reimburse the cost.
Hey MINI USA, we all know you troll these forums to see what is said. I have a suggestion for you; Read this book,
http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Happiness-Profits-Passion-Purpose/dp/0446563048 http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Happiness-Profits-Passion-Purpose/dp/0446563048
. It is about this little company called Zappos. It is about keeping it simple and doing what is right for the customer will make your business stronger. You could learn a thing or two from them. First suggestion, make all your execs work the front line as a SA at a dealership to learn what it is like to own one of your cars. Second, make your employees drive your cars, but don't give them out free. Make them pay for the repairs just like we do.

And now back to the topic at hand.....

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
If it wasn't leaking before the maintenance, Mini should own up to it however, although understandable, you made the mistake of going to another mechanic before going back to Mini. How does Mini know the other mechanic didn't cause the damage? Put yourself in their shoes. This is a tough one... My service dept once dented my hood and I didn't notice until I go home because it was already dark when I picked up my car. I turned around and drove straight back and although they were in the process of closing and tried to tell me to come back the next day, I demanded someone come out and note the damage. This was crucial to them owning up to it. Had I gone back home or waited until the next day they could have blamed it on me or someone else. They still tried to deny responsibility but because I went straight back it was harder for them to slither out of repairing the damage. Hope it works out for you...

Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 05r50
Hey MINI USA, we all know you troll these forums to see what is said. I have a suggestion for you; Read this book, http://www.amazon.com/Delivering-Hap.../dp/0446563048. It is about this little company called Zappos. It is about keeping it simple and doing what is right for the customer will make your business stronger. You could learn a thing or two from them. First suggestion, make all your execs work the front line as a SA at a dealership to learn what it is like to own one of your cars. Second, make your employees drive your cars, but don't give them out free. Make them pay for the repairs just like we do.

And now back to the topic at hand.....

You think I work for MINI? LOL Many will tell you I don't, I am a programmer for General Dymanics working on my MBA. I have read similar books and will still tell you that the customer is not always right and Americans work the system when and where they can. All you have to do is search these forums and find times the people have lied to get a repair done for free. Worse yet, look at some phone forums and you will find a ton of threads where people have done this. Macrumors is full of them. So the customer, is most certainly, not always right.

That being said, TSur has a case and should be reimbursed for this. The damage is simply to close to the repair time which makes it fishy. If I were the service manager I would try get this covered for the customer.

Quick Reply: Took my 08 mini into dealer and 20 miles later it is worse... Long rant