Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Seatbelt tensioner and airbag failure in first 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Seatbelt tensioner and airbag failure in first 6 months

I had this car for about 6 months with 10,000 miles on the OD and I have a seatbelt tensioner and airbag failure. I haven't even had my first oil change.
Anyone else experienced this?
I did run into a huge puddle in the middle of a rain storm. Water flew to the top of my car.
Possibly an electrical problem due to water damage?

Last edited by johntotah94; 07-23-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have questions.

1. What year and model?

2. how do you know you have seatbelt and airbag failures?

3. why have you let the car go so long with out an oil change? I know you ar eprobably just following the MINI instructions.

4. I have run into puddles that are as big as teh car and water has gone over the car is big sheets and this should not cause a problem unless of course the windows/sunroof were open and the inside of the car got really wet. Have you noticed any water or damp spots in the car?

There may be more questions when these are answered.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I have questions.

1. What year and model?

2. how do you know you have seatbelt and airbag failures?

3. why have you let the car go so long with out an oil change? I know you ar eprobably just following the MINI instructions.

4. I have run into puddles that are as big as teh car and water has gone over the car is big sheets and this should not cause a problem unless of course the windows/sunroof were open and the inside of the car got really wet. Have you noticed any water or damp spots in the car?

There may be more questions when these are answered.
2012 MINI Cooper S Hatchback

Have a warning indicator light on the dash

Following MINI Service Intervals

Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by johntotah94
2012 MINI Cooper S Hatchback

Have a warning indicator light on the dash

Following MINI Service Intervals
Two things you will want to know.

Following the MINI service intervals is not the best thing to do. If i had it would have been 22K miles before my first oil change. That is just way to long. Every 5k to 7.5K is a good interval. you can search and read about oil problems here and also see test reports from oil testing labs that show the oil is almost completely broken down in 7K-10K miles. But that is your call. I am just recommending you read about it and take from it what you will.

On the Air Bag issue does the light come on and stay on or does it just blink on when the car is first turned on.

If it come on for a few seconds when the car is first started and then goes off that is normal.

If it stays on then you do have some sort of a problem and the dealer or another service center with authorization and equipment to work on the system needs to check it to see which sensor is malfunctioning or disconnected.

Have you had any work done on the car like adding stereo equipment or Satellite radio? If so then the seats may have been moved and if so this is an indication that they did not disconnect the battery when doing so. If this is the case the dealer will have to reset the system.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, you are doing just fine following the manufacturers recommendation for an oil change interval.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Two things you will want to know.

Following the MINI service intervals is not the best thing to do. If i had it would have been 22K miles before my first oil change. That is just way to long. Every 5k to 7.5K is a good interval. you can search and read about oil problems here and also see test reports from oil testing labs that show the oil is almost completely broken down in 7K-10K miles. But that is your call. I am just recommending you read about it and take from it what you will.

On the Air Bag issue does the light come on and stay on or does it just blink on when the car is first turned on.

If it come on for a few seconds when the car is first started and then goes off that is normal.

If it stays on then you do have some sort of a problem and the dealer or another service center with authorization and equipment to work on the system needs to check it to see which sensor is malfunctioning or disconnected.

Have you had any work done on the car like adding stereo equipment or Satellite radio? If so then the seats may have been moved and if so this is an indication that they did not disconnect the battery when doing so. If this is the case the dealer will have to reset the system.

Yea. The oil thing concerns me. But I have free oil changes for 6 years under the dealership.

Also, The car is still brand new nothing altered about it.

I start the car, and I get a warning beep. And the Airbag indicator stays on. Both on the RPM Gauge and the Speedo Gauge. Also the seatbelt light stays on.

Other than that, The car is stock and unaltered.
Just came across this.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Here are a few images taken.

Attached Thumbnails Seatbelt tensioner and airbag failure in first 6 months-img_3231.jpg   Seatbelt tensioner and airbag failure in first 6 months-img_3232.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If it's still brand new and under warranty, why not take it to the dealer and ask them what is going on with it?

Many of us are using the free oil changes, but also changing the oil on our own (or paying the dealer to do it) in between those intervals.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 PM
robpars
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have anything on the passenger seat? Sometimes the seat sensor thinks someones in the seat with as little five pounds on it and will light those warning lights.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
I have an appointment for tomorrow.
Oil change and Airbag failure check.
The passenger seat is empty.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
With the Seat Belt and Airbag light both on and both working from different systems, my first guess would be that one of the harness plugs under the seat has become disconnected.

But yes the dealer will be able to diagnose this and replace/repair what ever it is that is needed. Please let us know what the outcome is.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM
robpars
Neutral
With the Seat Belt and Airbag light both on and both working from different systems, my first guess would be that one of the harness plugs under the seat has become disconnected.

But yes the dealer will be able to diagnose this and replace/repair what ever it is that is needed. Please let us know what the outcome is.
Yea thats what I was thinking , if weight in the passenger seat is not the cause then the sensor itself is is the problem or a wireing harness is disconnected under the seat.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robpars
Yea thats what I was thinking , if weight in the passenger seat is not the cause then the sensor itself is is the problem or a wireing harness is disconnected under the seat.
Funny cuz the dealer cannot figure out what's wrong with the car. They gave me a stock cooper as a loaner. Downgrade from my cooper s. gave me know time limit. They don't know how to fix it as of now.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:59 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Funny cuz the dealer cannot figure out what's wrong with the car. They gave me a stock cooper as a loaner. Downgrade from my cooper s. gave me know time limit. They don't know how to fix it as of now.
Do you have another MINI Dealer you can take it to. These people seem to be incompetant.

The safety system or Multiple Restraint System (MRS) consists of 4 basic items.
1. seat belts
2. sensors - crash, impact and seat occupancy
3. airbag and seat belt tensioner firing circuits
4. MRS control module

If both the seat belt and air bag lights are on the logical place to start is either the connectors that the wiring runs thru are disconnected or the MRS Control module is bad. It is not that hard to figure out.

There testing system should tell them what sensors have triggered and what needs to be replaced. If the MRS is not telling their testing system that then it needs to be replaced. SIMPLE as that.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Do you have another MINI Dealer you can take it to. These people seem to be incompetant.

The safety system or Multiple Restraint System (MRS) consists of 4 basic items.
1. seat belts
2. sensors - crash, impact and seat occupancy
3. airbag and seat belt tensioner firing circuits
4. MRS control module

If both the seat belt and air bag lights are on the logical place to start is either the connectors that the wiring runs thru are disconnected or the MRS Control module is bad. It is not that hard to figure out.

There testing system should tell them what sensors have triggered and what needs to be replaced. If the MRS is not telling their testing system that then it needs to be replaced. SIMPLE as that.

Next dealer is 2 hours away. They promised they will find a way.
I'm stuck with a base loaner for now.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:10 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Dealer called me back today saying NONE of the mechanics or experts can figure out what's wrong with the car. Its not the harness, not the module, nothing is making sense. They are currently speaking to BMW corporate to see what they can do for me. Maybe a new car?

Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Yslee
1st Gear
Dealer called me back today saying NONE of the mechanics or experts can figure out what's wrong with the car. Its not the harness, not the module, nothing is making sense. They are currently speaking to BMW corporate to see what they can do for me. Maybe a new car?
I have the same problem, in my 2007 cooper s.
Any updates?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yslee
I have the same problem, in my 2007 cooper s.
Any updates?
Ended up Being a simple blown fuse...

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM
reducati
3rd Gear
i am having the same issues,k waring light comes on , on occasion, and stays on, unless i restart the car. It lights up, regardless if there is someithing on the passenger seat or not. ( the warning says passenger seat tensioner, airbag) When in for an oil change, they could not duplicate the issue, but did remove the front seat and rechecked all connections...Johntotah...what fuse was blown?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:53 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
They started replacing all kinds of components and at the end. It was just a simple fuse. Haha

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
reducati
3rd Gear
Thx, I'll mention it when I speak with them

Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM
ponyup
1st Gear
have a 2013 MINI. Front passenger seatbelt intermittently locks even at the most simplest and delicate movement. The dealer says they can't recreate the problem. I say it's a safety issue. They had agreed to replace the part sometime back, but now they seem to be back pedaling... HELP!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ponyup
have a 2013 MINI. Front passenger seatbelt intermittently locks even at the most simplest and delicate movement. The dealer says they can't recreate the problem. I say it's a safety issue. They had agreed to replace the part sometime back, but now they seem to be back pedaling... HELP!
How about it not locking up... THAT is a safety issue.

Did you get the replacement in writing? Was it a formal RO? Did you demonstrate the issue to them?

Does it lock up while braking? (Normal)
Does it lockup on a sudden pull of the belt (normal).
If someone leans forward quickly, does it lockup? (Normal).

Seat belts are pretty bulletproof.. The internal lockup is controlled by a pendulum and a ratchet device.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Andy YI
Neutral
They started replacing all kinds of components and at the end. It was just a simple fuse. Haha
Recently I have the same problem of both of the airbag and seat belt warning lights on constantly. May I ask where is the airbag fuse located? I cannot find any fuse related to Airbag from my 2011 Mini Countryman(R60), Thnaks!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 AM
worx4me
Neutral
I also had the same issue with my seat belt/airbag light on my JCW '10 with 39,000 miles. The problem was a fault in the passenger seat mat. For some reason it would detect someone or some weight on the seat. The Mini dealership replaced the part at no charge. Apparently, there is an extended warranty for this particular issue. Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Seatbelt tensioner and airbag failure in first 6 months