Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

sunroof warning lamp (how to initialize sunroof?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
iamjasonmott
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sunroof warning lamp (how to initialize sunroof?)

I'm receiving an error lamp on the tach screen of a sunroof with an exclamation mark. It comes on every time I start the car. Photo attached.

I have searched the internet far and wide to no avail. I love the MINI community because you can find just about any answer, but I'm stumped on this one. I found that there's plenty of information about BMWs with this error lamp. It seems I need to initialize or re-initialize the sunroof. Here's the BMW procedure:
http://bentleypublishers.wordpress.com/tag/e60/

I can't follow this BMW procedure because unlike the R53, I have a sunroof toggle (R56) switch which only moves forward and back.

My sunroof opens fine but upon trying to close it it will move a small increment and then stop. I release and push the toggle forward, same thing: it moves another inch forward and stops again. I have to keep doing this until it is fully closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciate. Sunroof was working fine prior, and don't want to have to pay dealer for what I believe is simply an "initialization".

Attached Thumbnails sunroof warning lamp (how to initialize sunroof?)-img_20120718_211947.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Eyeguy2 (02-15-2021)
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A couple of things come to mind.

1. Is there anything in the track that will make the sunroof not move as easily as it should. If the roof will not move easily it will stop as it thinks there is something blocking it.

2. Press and HOLD the button in the forward position to close the roof. Does it close.

3. If it does close then continue to hold the button for 15 seconds.

4. Then press and HOLD the button to Open the sunroof fully and continue to hold for 15 seconds.

Repeat steps 2-4 another time.

Does it work properly now?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:25 AM
chockrl
Neutral
The Bentley manual has the procedure to re-initialize the sunroof. I believe you hold the toggle switch forward with the key in the ignition but the car not running. While holding it forward, after 10-15 sec it will fully open, and then fully close, hold it forward until it is closed. Will double check the Bentley when I get home.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chockrl
The Bentley manual has the procedure to re-initialize the sunroof. I believe you hold the toggle switch forward with the key in the ignition but the car not running. While holding it forward, after 10-15 sec it will fully open, and then fully close, hold it forward until it is closed. Will double check the Bentley when I get home.
See post #2 it is from the dealer manual for how to initalize the sunroof.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:15 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I was having issues with mine earlier this year. I thoroughly cleaned all the tracks and guides for the sunroof until completely free of all grease and dirt. I then applied a light coating of the MINI recommended grease for the sunroof (the can of spray is really expensive).

This solved the problem and it's work perfect since.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 PM
iamjasonmott
1st Gear
First of all, thanks to each of you for all the suggestions. Love the MINI community!

I tired all above (held for 15 secs, the roof doesn't open on its own
I even held for a full minute or two. No luck, it just stays closed), cleaned the track, and still can't get the error (or the annoying one-inch-at-a-time closing) to go away. Such a bummer! :/

Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM
chockrl
Neutral
From Bentley manual:
- Switch ignition ON
- Press sunroof switch forward to first detent (CLOSE direction).
- After approximately 30 seconds, glass sunroof panels close completely.
- Sunroof opens as far as end stop and then closes again.
- Once sunroof closes and electric motor switches off, release switch.
- Complete process lasts approx. 75 seconds. Once completed use switch to test sunroof for normal operation.

Worked exactly as described on our '07 S, I think I put the key in, and then tapped the start button without starting the engine.

Had some hail damage repaired, that required the body shop to remove the sunroof. When we got it home it acted much like you described... would open, but then took a lot of work pushing the button to get it to close all the way.

The following users liked this post:
AZdsrt (04-15-2020)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 PM
iamjasonmott
1st Gear
From Bentley manual:
- Switch ignition ON
- Complete process lasts approx. 75 seconds. Once completed use switch to test sunroof for normal operation.

Worked exactly as described on our '07 S, I think I put the key in, and then tapped the start button without starting the engine.

Had some hail damage repaired, that required the body shop to remove the sunroof. When we got it home it acted much like you described... would open, but then took a lot of work pushing the button to get it to close all the way.
chockrl!!! This worked! Well done, my friend. The trick is pressing into the first detent. Sure enough, all went exactly as you described!

Very thankful to everyone for the input. Glad to have saved the $$$ the dealer would have charged to hold my sunroof button forward for 75 seconds.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From Bentley manual:
- Switch ignition ON

I'm a little confused, if its closed and you hold it down for 15 sec is it suppose to open on its own?

Or do you hold it longer?

My roof is closed, I press the toggle all the way forward for 15 sec, then pull back and hold to open.
I've held it back 15 sec while it was fully open.

Then press forward again and it keeps stopping 3 x a few inches until finally I get it closed by having go retap at least 3-4 x????

Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 PM
nutsofamily
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never mind, figured it out.

The KEY POINT is to press forward just a small amount.

I did not know it had 2 positions forward.

Holding it in just a little started the whole initialization and all good.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM
iamjasonmott
1st Gear
Bingo. First detent. Super glad you figured it out. I was elated once I got mine to work.

Originally Posted by nutsofamily
Never mind, figured it out.

The KEY POINT is to press forward just a small amount.

I did not know it had 2 positions forward.

Holding it in just a little started the whole initialization and all good.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:37 AM
Clockwork
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so, I read that these Mini Gen 2 do NOT have auto open and auto close? I mean pressing the open switch to the second detent for the auto feature, like all other BMWs have? PS: thanks for instructions about reinitializing the sunroof