Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Coolant Level not going down

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
absolutrux
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Level not going down

Newbie to this forum.

I replaced the radiator fan in my wife's 06 Convertible this weekend due to the low speed fan resistor failure. All went well and the fan seems to working fine. We lost a little bit of radiator fluid so we replaced it.

My wife took it to the store around the corner and everything seemed to be fine. When she returned the fan ran for about 1 minute after the car was off. I thought nothing of it at the time because I have read here where it was normal if the engine was hot for the fan to run a little while longer, although that had never happened before.

Today she took the car out and in less than 3 miles the temperature spiked. She immediately came home. When I came home I started the car and ran it for a few minutes to verify that the fan was working, which it was. After about 5 minutes of it running and sitting in the driveway the temperature gauge spiked again.

I did not see any coolant leaking anywhere or notice any puddles in the driveway. I did note that the coolant level is still sitting at the same place that it was when we added some this weekend. When it was running in the driveway the coolant level did not go down at all. I do not think this is normal.

Looking for any ideas of what could cause this to happen? Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:54 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Your thermostat is probably stuck in the closed position.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
That or the fluid level got low....got some air in the system, and now you must bleed it....fan that runs more often is a symptom of low fluid....spiking temps are oftem a symptom of air stuck in the system. Imo, bleed the system, see if it is fixed, then if no change, do the thermostat..or just swap it out, then bleed...lol...

Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 AM
absolutrux
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It took a while for this thread to be posted. Probably since it was my first post I guess.

After reading some more post on the board about bleeding the air in the system, I tried that. It appears to have worked. We drove it around some over the weekend and no overheating issues that I can tell. We reached the same spot that my wife got to when it started showing the high temperature gauge reading, and the needle was just staying in the middle. It appears it was the air. I will keep the thermostat in mind though for the futrure.

I guess the next test will be sitting in stop and go traffic. Thanks for all the help. Not only with this thread but other threads about the cooling fan issues.