Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

MAJOR electrical issues, nearly every warning light went off

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 AM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAJOR electrical issues, nearly every warning light went off

Anyone have this happen before?

Yesterday I was on a drive to Ramstein Germany (about 220km/140 miles) and half way there I started experiencing the following issues, several minutes apart, never together:

TPMS system warning popped up in tach readout and flashed in speedo(I don't have my sensors on the car, but normally only get this warning when starting the car.
Seatbelt warning and airbag warning went off together in tach readout and lit up in speedo housing.
brake light warning went off in tach readout and lit up in speedo housing
Speedometer stopped working and came back immediately
radio shut off and turned back on with 1-2 seconds

turn signal when tapped left wouldn't shut off after the normal 3 flashes. To turn off I had to tap it right, flashed 3 times then shut off. This went on for several lane changes.
turn signal when tapped right wouldn't shut off after the normal 3 flashes. To turn off I had to tap it left, flashed 3 times then shut off. This went on for several lane changes.
turn signal when tapped left wouldn't shut off after the normal 3 flashes. To turn off I had to tap it right, flashed ONE time then shut off. The car did this twice.
After 30 minutes or so the turn signals worked properly again.

Called the dealer and they had no clue over the phone.
Called MINI Roadside Emergency assistance and they said it was likely the battery and to shut the car off and attempt a restart. I refused as I was in the middle of the drive and didn't want to risk being stranded enroute to an airport.
Arrived at my destination and shut the car off. Turned the car back on and none of the problems have resurfaced. Drove the 140 miles home without incident.

Took the car to the dealer this morning and they found three faults and they were all cleared with no problems. Still no more issues, but the dealer has no idea why all the problems popped up. My only thoughts are a bug in the system or a loose connector that controls the functions in the dashboard or steering column.

I checked the wipers, intermittent wipers, front and rear fog lights, rear wiper, washer and defrost as well as horn and they all worked correctly during the ordeal.

My German 2 year unlimited mileage warranty runs out in December so I'm looking to get the extended warranty just in case.

Built 12/2009
69600kms / 43,300 miles
Mods:
M7 AGS-r intake w/ scoop
M7 downpipe
Helix BOV
M7 strut bar
M7 oil catch can
H&R springs
H&R strut bar
StopTech ST40 front brakes
AC Schnitzer 18's
MiniDoMore trailer hitch with powered hitch wiring

I don't think any of these mods would cause the issues, but who knows.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
All of what you explained is an indication of a BAD BATTERY. This has come up in a number of threads and when all is said and done a battery replacement has been the answer.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:50 AM
Hammy
1st Gear
I have an 2008 Cooper and my lights went haywire last week. It turned out to be a loose nut on a ground stud that holds a big cluster of wires. The cluster terminates against the structure inside the drivers side (L/H) forward wheel well. The tech said it vibrated loose..?? I couldn't see the actual point where it connected to the structure --- engine was in the way --- but if you can, look for the cocoa brown colored wires and follow them to their electrical bond termination point. Start looking by the headlight (inside the engine compartment) and along that edge between the engine and the fender/sidewall on the drivers side.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 AM
Hammy
1st Gear
For more information, see my post "2008 Multiple Failure Light Problem" on 11-05.
I had the same problem with my turn signal indicators, speedometer quit working, gas gage quit, seat belt lights, flat tire indicator, ABS, service vehicle, etc. I didn't have my radio on, so don't know if it was impacted, but I'm guessing it would be. Sounds like you have a loose nut.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammy
I have an 2008 Cooper and my lights went haywire last week. It turned out to be a loose nut on a ground stud that holds a big cluster of wires. The cluster terminates against the structure inside the drivers side (L/H) forward wheel well. The tech said it vibrated loose..?? I couldn't see the actual point where it connected to the structure --- engine was in the way --- but if you can, look for the cocoa brown colored wires and follow them to their electrical bond termination point. Start looking by the headlight (inside the engine compartment) and along that edge between the engine and the fender/sidewall on the drivers side.
I think there is a MINI service bulletin on this issue. Check the TSB thread for it.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Here it is:

SIM 61 05 07 Bad Ground Causes Various Electrical Problems

http://www.mediafire.com/?r2tmc9gmj4jk60j

Old 11-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Hammy
1st Gear
That looks like the same location the tech pointed out. Too bad they wouldn't admit it was a known problem. Is there a list of SIM's available for public access? I wonder if this is going to be an "on-going" issue, ie. retighten the nut every 2-3 years? Poor design, or just not torqued properly during initial installation???

Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Yeah the list of SIMs is at the top of this forum section in a sticky called Tech Service Bulletins.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Hammy
1st Gear
Thanks for pointing that out...I missed it completely when I reviewed the forum threads...or just thought it was someones personal list of specs. Good info to have in your back pocket

Last edited by Hammy; 11-15-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 AM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
Well I got the car back and they said there was a software update for the windows. It took 2 full days to address everything. I had a vibration in my sunroof frame months ago and they never put the headliner back right or the door gaskets. I got a new driver's door gasket as well. They removed and re-installed the cargo area trip where the privacy cover sits and put foam tape in it (I was told) to stop vibrations.

They can't explain why I have been able to save even frequency radio stations in the past on my U.S. spec radio but suddenly cannot anymore. Odd.

I'll check that nut myself today and see what I find. If anything I'll take the car back in once I have my truck on the road and tell them to fix it right. I'm getting typical German customer service right now and I'm sure they're just trying to brush me off until my warranty (2 years unlimited mileage) runs out next month. I've got a phone call coming Monday morning from Pentagon car sales about an extended warranty. I'm over 70,000kms (almost 44k miles) now so even the stateside warranty will be useless by the time I get home in April.