Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Roof Rack Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 04:23 PM
RacerXrecaR
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof Rack Clearance

Installed a "Mini" roof rack with two bike rails on my Mini S Hatchback. Problem - when I open the rear hatch the spoiler hits the ends of the bike rails. Any one aware of this issue and if so what is the solution. I can only think of sawing off 2 inches from the ends of each bike rack however I am nervous about a crooket cut and I paid a bunch for an official Mini roof rack so why should I be cutting the rails?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Turn the bike rails around?
Are the bike attachements from MINI? Or are they Yakama / Thule parts?
I can't believe MINI would sell an OEM rail attachment that doesn't allow proper clearance.

- Erik

Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 AM
RacerXrecaR
1st Gear
The main rack support was installed by my MINI dealer and they supplied me with the MINI official bike rails. I installed them on the rack. The front attachment holes are fixed so you cannot slide the rail forward. Yes I could turn the rails around and it would give clearance but the rails would then stick out past the front frame member and more than likely will over hang the front window besides the bikes being on backwards would look really silly. All the MINI photos from their brochure have the rack installed the way I installed it but the MINI they are installed on do not have the spoiler that comes stock on the S hatchback. Yes I can't believe that a MINI designed rack doesn't fit, I paid a lot for it.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerXrecaR
All the MINI photos from their brochure have the rack installed the way I installed it but the MINI they are installed on do not have the spoiler that comes stock on the S hatchback. Yes I can't believe that a MINI designed rack doesn't fit, I paid a lot for it.
I'd go back and share your concerns and see what they can do for you.
If I was in the same situtation, I'd return to show and ask what they could do to remedy the fitment and interference.

- Erik

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Blainestang
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
You're correct that they're too long to open the hatch. MINI is in somewhat of a connundrum with this. On one hand, they need to be long enough for any bike, otherwise people will be upset about that instead... Especially if they've got a Clubman with no such length issues. Additionally, there are people with hardtops that dont mind the hatch not being able to open since theyre only going to be on for a few days a year or something. So, point being, how can they decide what length to make them?

Having searched around on here, people with both MINI and aftermarket trays have had to trim them back to clear their hatch. I have Rockymount brand Euro Pitchforks, and theyre too long for even my Cooper's spoiler. Fortunately, the trays, both factory and aftermarket, are relatively soft aluminum (supposedly) and there are plastic plugs that can be recap the tray after cutting.

I agree, however, that the dealer should, at the very least, explain that the hatch may not be able to open all the way.

Maybe take it back to the dealer and see if they'll help you getting it to the right length. Just make sure to bring your longest bike so you don't cut them too short.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
RacerXrecaR
1st Gear
Yes I agree that I need to take back to MINI. Gotta take a day off to do this however my only other option is to cut them down myself and I am hoping by taking the car to the dealer they will cut the rails down for free and do a better job them me. The roof rack needs to go back to the drawing board. The integrated mounting into the rain gutter was a nice improvement over drilling holes in the roof which was how the older units mounted. Now they need to modify the tray mounting so it can slid fore and aft on the main roof rack supports and add a wind deflector option. This would resolve my problem and still allow for the long tray and from my limited experience I think they would then have a perfect system.

I am still glad I bought the OEM roof rack and bike rails. Other than the spoiler issue they are integrated beautifully into the car's roof and the locking mechanisms are all first rate. With two bikes mounted on the roof I have no fears of them falling off nor do I feel I have to take it easy when I drive. The entire assembly plus bikes are as solid as a rock.

Thanks for your responses.

Michael

Old 11-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to cut mine (a Thule), too. I took about 4 inches off. Its easy to cut, and if you just do it slowly. you'll not have any issues with it being "crooked". If you aren't comfortable with it, take it to a cabinet shop, they'll not carge very much. On mine, the plastic end piece simply slid back in and convered the part that was no longer painted, and since its aluminum, there are no issues with rust.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Aluminum cuts very easily and carbide blades in a chop saw or radial arm saw will work IF YOU GO SLOWLY and wear ear & eye protection and you will end up with a nice square cut.

The MINI Roof Rack base mounting points are way to close together for my liking. Small surf boards, short snow ski's are all it appears suited. Put a sea kayak on it and it is not safe! There are only the 2 tow hooks on the passenger side so securing a load is marginal.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:08 PM
RacerXrecaR
1st Gear
My dealer wants me to come in and to take a look. Hopefully this will be more than a look, in my opinion they should cut them down for me and take on the responsibility. If they won't remedy it then I will bring out the old hacksaw and by a new blade. Thanks for the vote of confidence, I might even try finding a metal shop to do the two cuts.