Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo lights - what's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo lights - what's wrong?

I started getting these yellow brake and traction control combo lights popping up randomly while driving, without any apparent event to cause it. Restarting the car clears the lights. Started happening some time after I replaced front rotors and brake pads two months ago, if it has any relevance. Any ideas what sort of fault is this?

Attached Thumbnails Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo lights - what's wrong?-2011-09-18-12.38.15.jpg  
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Roundel
2nd Gear
My guess is a loose ABS sensor.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
proximo
3rd Gear
The yellow warning notice is for the DSC/suspension. If it's flashing, that means DSC/ASC is kicking in. If it's solid, it means DSC/ASC is off. If you also get a warning indicator on the LED area with an exclamation mark, there's a problem with the suspension control and drive moderately (take it in to have it checked out).

Do you have any other alert indicators (center console) or alerts (display)? Generally when you have the brake and that, you should have a third/fourth indicator (such as ABS or tire indicator). I'd look at the sensors to see if anything's loose or needs replacement. They could be failing or simply worked loose.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
6speedwtneed
4th Gear
I would guess - ABS/wheel speed sensor or brake sensor

Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
Well, both lights come up at the same time simultaneously with a chime and an exclamation mark and gear sign in yellow on center square screen of the tachometer. I certainly could take the car to dealer but I'm not eager to part with my money just yet. Will reconnect ABS and brake pad wear sensors this weekend and will see what that will do.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by proximo
The yellow warning notice is for the DSC/suspension. If it's flashing, that means DSC/ASC is kicking in. If it's solid, it means DSC/ASC is off. If you also get a warning indicator on the LED area with an exclamation mark, there's a problem with the suspension control and drive moderately (take it in to have it checked out).

Do you have any other alert indicators (center console) or alerts (display)? Generally when you have the brake and that, you should have a third/fourth indicator (such as ABS or tire indicator). I'd look at the sensors to see if anything's loose or needs replacement. They could be failing or simply worked loose.
What kind of suspension control is there on a MINI that is monitored by sensors? No, no other lights pop up, except for warning on LED screen described in above post.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 PM
proximo
3rd Gear
There are sensors in the wheel area (not the brake pads) that monitor various movements. Here's a short list of sensors in the suspension area:
Brake pad wear sensor
Rotational speed sensor
RPM sensor
ABS speed sensor
EPS unit (steering)
Level sensor (front and rear)

I'm sure there are more, but if any of these fail, you can get this warning. The other possibility is there is a problem in the suspension.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 AM
ladzio
2nd Gear
Would it be possible to retrieve stored faults with OBDII scanner to find out which sensor is triggering the lights, or specialized MINI equipment is required?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:25 AM
proximo
3rd Gear
If it's throwing a code, yes, any CAN bus ODBII reader will get you the code. Actron and MaxScan are available at most car stores. Ones by Innova have an online code lookup that may be beneficial if you can't find the trouble code online.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:03 AM
ladzio
2nd Gear
Will stop by Autozone today to have the codes scanned. Had that fault come up yesterday again and interestingly enough pressing DSC button on central console makes no difference. Thus, it is apparent that DSC system is throwing faults but if ABS sensor were a culprit, I suspect ABS light would be illuminated as well. Will see if any codes turn up today.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:03 AM
ladzio
2nd Gear
OBD scanner turned up no codes. Time to schedule a visit to the dealer.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM
abonn
1st Gear
wheel speed sensor? brake wear sensor?

I have same problem indication on my tach but mine includes red circle with exclamation point. Sounds to me like same problem you had. Can you tell me what you did to fix it?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 AM
arsci
3rd Gear
OBD II scanner will only pull a CEL (check engine light) codes. The warning lights you're getting are MINI specific, like others have said something relating to one of those sensor listed in that other post. You'll most likely have to take it to a dealer for diagnosis unless you have a BMW/MINI specific diagnostic tool. Might be a way to check it in the service menu on the tach but I have no idea if that's even possible, or how it would be done.

EDIT
whoa, this is an old thread! dealer will probably be the only one able to read the codes unless the CEL is on. red exclamation mark is not good.

Last edited by arsci; 06-30-2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: checked the date!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 AM
r56cooper
3rd Gear
so what was the issue? i'm curious to know cuz i have the same lights.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 AM
DoubleNegative
1st Gear
My guess is that he answered his own question in post 5, ABS (and DTC) can't work if the sensors aren't hooked up.

Originally Posted by ladzio
Will reconnect ABS and brake pad wear sensors this weekend and will see what that will do.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:03 AM
ladzio
2nd Gear
I am at the dealership today doing state inspection and asked them to look up what the code is about. When I was told it will be $130 just to read the code I politely declined. Once winter gets closer I will go to some indie shop to have this checked out. I observed though that my car typically throws the code when I am rolling slowly, under 5mph, with steering slightly turned. Steering angle sensor maybe?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 AM
ladzio
2nd Gear
I've done some reading on the forum and believe here is the cause. The symptoms I have (yellow traction control and brake light, turn signals do not automatically cancel out, wipers turn on after engine shut off, DCS does not operate) are same of those folks who had the steering angle sensor fail in their cars. In R56 the steering angle sensor appears to be integrated with the steering column switch assembly, called steering column switch cluster (SZL), part # 61313449460. I could not find how much this part costs. Even though you can replace cluster yourself, dealer still would need to reprogram the sensor. Looks to be a costly repair.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 PM
drumhedd
Neutral
Dash lights going CRAZY!!!!!!!

Is this happening to anyone else???

I am pretty sure the steering angle sensor in my 07' Conv is on the fritz, but I want to make sure. When I drive the following happens:

Tachometer intermittently dies and digital data (i.e. fuel cons etc) also dies, then it comes back on. ABS/Brake light flashes on and off as does "check engine" light. On the Speedometer, the Speedometer flutters high, then low, then back to normal while the temp gauge goes all the way up. The DSC light and "low tire pressure" lights are also staying on. Turn the car off and everything is normal, until driving for about 10 mins, then it all starts again. No power loss is happening. The engine codes are reading P1613, P1515, P1607.

I recently had new tires put on and alignment done at Pep Boys (Oct 13th to be exact). Could the alignment being changed have triggered a fault in the sensor? Is the sensor acting up because the alignment was changed? Any info would be helpful.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
ydavid
Neutral
I have the same exact issue on my r56. "yellow traction control and brake light, turn signals do not automatically cancel out, wipers turn on after engine shut off, DCS does not operate." Were you able to get it fixed?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
ladzio
2nd Gear
I finally was able to get DIS56 to work and read the codes. The diagnostic software says that there is internal fault in the steering column switch centre and whole unit needs to be replaced and encoded. It seems like this will be a rather expensive repair.

Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo lights - what's wrong?-image-618297676.jpg

Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
Received 147 Likes on 129 Posts
I dropped the subframe this weekend to swap out struts, ball joints and tie rod ends etc on my 2008 with 140 k miles and after I got her all together the dreaded Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo light came on.

I'm new to this car and Minis and I think I may have dropped the steering rack too far down before disconnecting the 3 electrical connectors and stretched a wire too far or perhaps I stretched the ABS sensor(s) accidentally. Something is not connected.

I suppose the only way to find out is to put a scanner on it and get a specific sensor code yes?

Old 12-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably a wheel speed sensor. Look for that in your manual to see where the connections are. Hopefully it's just unplugged, not a broken connector or wire.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:38 AM
Lex2008
6th Gear
StoF,

Well, Im sure it didnt unplug itself...its probably broken and I didnt notice it. I will trace it from the hub and see if it is pulled off.

By the end of the week I will receive the AutoEnginuity software with Mini extension so I THINK (HOPE PRAY) that it will tell me exactly what is faulty. Ive been wanting a true scanner for EONS...finally broke down and got it.

Thanks again for your moral support StoF.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Lex2008
6th Gear
I used the AutoEnginuity version 13 (ST06) with Mini Extension for the first time. I pulled the codes.

I see:

DSC faults: Steering Sensor, Adjustment Error (5E34) and DSC Interface: SZL/LWS Signal Error (5DFB)

Footwell Module 2: E594 unknown fault, with some ******** rear brake and fog light fault (the lights are all working)

Steering Column Module (SZL): 9E28 Control Unit - Internal Fault

Electric Power Steering (EPS): 6111 EPS Steering Wheel Angle

Enhanced Powertrain CAN: Unknown codes 2783,2777, 277F, 2773

I know the Mini Dealer told the last owner that the rear light were showing faults even though they work and they didnt know why. AE software showing same fault.

Note sure what to make of the other faults other than to say they seem related to the electric steering. No fault from the wheel sensors.

I do believe I need to drop the rack and make sure the connectors arent stretched.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Ahmed Altairy
Neutral
Originally Posted by Lex2008
I used the AutoEnginuity version 13 (ST06) with Mini Extension for the first time. I pulled the codes.

I see:

DSC faults: Steering Sensor, Adjustment Error (5E34) and DSC Interface: SZL/LWS Signal Error (5DFB)

Footwell Module 2: E594 unknown fault, with some ******** rear brake and fog light fault (the lights are all working)

Steering Column Module (SZL): 9E28 Control Unit - Internal Fault

Electric Power Steering (EPS): 6111 EPS Steering Wheel Angle

Enhanced Powertrain CAN: Unknown codes 2783,2777, 277F, 2773

I know the Mini Dealer told the last owner that the rear light were showing faults even though they work and they didnt know why. AE software showing same fault.

Note sure what to make of the other faults other than to say they seem related to the electric steering. No fault from the wheel sensors.

I do believe I need to drop the rack and make sure the connectors arent stretched.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I am having a similar issue where my DSC and Brake light stay on. I have not been able to get the lights to turn off.

What I have done:
-alignment (steering was a bit off)
-brake sensors and pads (I do not have a brake code come up)
-DSC codes read:
5DB4 DSC Sensor: longitudinal acceleration, no calibration
5DB3 DSC Sensor: lateral acceleration sensor, fault
5DB2 DSC Sensor: Yaw rate sensor, no calibration

​​​​​​-BMW fault codes say this is an issue with the rear left wheel speed sensor however, when I check live data, I can not even see the rear right wheel speed sensor (meaning I can get speed readings from all sensors but the rear right does not even show as an option to view live data)

I do not get the "trifecta" which is all over the forums, I just get DSC yellow and Brake yello, another weird thing is at startup, the vehicle kinda cycles through all the faults, I get the 1. Triangle (with the arrow going around the triangle) exclamation point CC-ID035 2. Brake exclamation point CC-ID354 3. Low tire symbol (however my tpms light is not on on the speedo, which has me stumped), my tpms system says active

I replaced the wheel speed sensor that was not giving me a reading, but still same issue.

I plan on replacing the lateral acceleration sensor next however i have no idea where it is or what it looks like, can someone tell me where it is or if I am not following the right path?

Is there a good way I can test continuity easily, I'm not too familiar with that stuff ?

I'm scared to take it to a dealership because I've heard of horror stories with prices and not even getting it fixed. I feel like I am close to finding my issue.

Please help

Quick Reply: Yellow Brake and Traction Control combo lights - what's wrong?