Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Gap in Axle Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM
tskorka
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gap in Axle Shaft

Because I had a torn boot in the passenger side cv boot, I installed a remanufactured oem mini axle shaft on my 02 MCS. Everthing went pretty straightforward using Bentley manual and few impromtu tools (bolt extractor for rounded bolt head and a pickle fork on air hammer in place of bmw tie rod separator). Well the axle is in and bolted up but there is a slight gap between the transmission and metal axle shaft retaining ring. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Attached Thumbnails Gap in Axle Shaft-axle-shaft-gap.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Aguilar
Neutral
I'm having the same problem. Any help much appreciated.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:14 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
General experience for me has been the clip at the end of many cars (not sure about mini) shafts are hard to get in or out. I have tapped with hammers, just repeatedly done the long push/jab and once I just left it and drove until it worked itself in (old car, didn't care if it leaked.)

Also for you I would call and make sure there are not different axles for different build dates by calling mini. If the part isn't correct, nothing will work.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
The RHS shafts on these cars don't have a clip. The question I have is can you get the bolts for the carrier bearing bracket back in? If not, you haven't fully seated the shaft. Wiggle and twist while pushing in. It will go in with a little finesse.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 AM
bosfordjd
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having spen the last two days under there I'm fairly certain I have a gap there, it might not be that big though, did you notice one before taking the old axle off?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Aguilar
Neutral
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
The RHS shafts on these cars don't have a clip. The question I have is can you get the bolts for the carrier bearing bracket back in? If not, you haven't fully seated the shaft. Wiggle and twist while pushing in. It will go in with a little finesse.
Yes, the carrier bearing bracket is bolted down. However, the shaft is not seating flush as the stock one did. As a precautionary measure, I took it out and measured it against the original one and it has the same measurements.

I will be posting a picture shortly.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Aguilar
Neutral
Here's the problem. Carrier bearing bracket is already bolted down.

Comparing measurements with the stock axle, that sleeve that is not sitting flush, needs to be moved forward with the axle in place. I tried a bit of tapping with the hammer but it's not moving.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Aguilar
Neutral
Comparing the measurements with the stock one, that sleeve needs to move in another 3/16". The axle itself is already all the way in.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
GordonP66
2nd Gear
Aguilar, did you remove the inner dustcover or did the replacement axle come without one?
The exploded parts drawing does show inner dust covers on both sides for the R50 & R53's, but they dont list a separate part number on the right side diagram

Last edited by GordonP66; 12-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Aguilar
Neutral
The new axle did not bring a new one, so I reused the original one.

I guess that's the way is meant to go, even though I can move the dust cover back and forth slightly, it has not leaked transmission oil so far after a test drive.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM
GordonP66
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aguilar
The new axle did not bring a new one, so I reused the original one.

I guess that's the way is meant to go, even though I can move the dust cover back and forth slightly, it has not leaked transmission oil so far after a test drive.
That dustcover is an interference fit. You can move it pretty easily by tapping on it & you can bend it pretty easily too. Don't ask me how I know !
There should be a gap between the outer edge of the dust cover & the trans like in Tracy's pic. The inside lip of the dustcover is pretty sharp & should not be touching the lip of the seal.
Glad it worked out for you, that is one clean car you've got there

Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Aguilar
Neutral
Thanks Gordon.

I was a bit unsure about doing the job myself specially since I didn't have the specialty tool required to align the shaft, but it wasn't hard. I could have sworn the original was sitting almost flush.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM
tskorka
Neutral
I measured against the old and it seemed the old axle's dust cover was closer to the transmission. I tapped it closer with a hammer and it's better but not flush. I've been driving on it for 3 months now and it drives just fine.