Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

PICS of 2011 MCS New Design Valve Cover - Carbon/PCV Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PICS of 2011 MCS New Design Valve Cover - Carbon/PCV Fix?

I have done extensive reading on the carbon build up issue on the 1.6 Turbo Direct Injection Engines. On one of the posts, it was mentioned that in 2011 the PCV issue(s) was fixed since it was a major contributor to the carbon build up.

I've been searching the web and motoring file to find out what was done on the 2011's to cure the carbon build up issues. Does someone have a reference???

Below I have included pictures of my valve cover and you can see that it is different that prior models. Other than the oil filler cap hole, there is only "1" tube exiting the valve cover on the 2011's - versus two hoses on prior models. Can anyone tell me what this hose is and if it's attempt to cure the notorious carbon issue? There something electronic on the pictured tube below, because there's wires going into the middle section.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:54 PM
tintman718
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see it being any different. The vapors still need to enter the intake track. Unless they now have ALL of the vapors entering before the turbo, essentially like installing a BSH boost tap.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
Maybe they found that the second line on pre 2011 models, was not only venting the gases but also allowing oil spray to be introduced into the intake?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:00 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
EcoHeliGuy,

I was wondering the same thing. Just wish I could get this verified. With only ~275 miles on my new MCS, I need to know if the carbon issues was fixed (or reduced) with 2011 models, or if i need to look at a catch can install, or regular sea foam treatments right before the oil is changed...

tvanhouten

Old 11-25-2010, 06:01 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
OH I would fully plan on getting a catch can, if nothing else they just look sweet, and I can't see them hurting any thing.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:03 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
Going to have a hard time getting an adapter to go from that hose (looks like 1-1.5" dia) to attach to a catch can though.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:35 PM
moondawg14
2nd Gear
IMHO, any direct-injected engine with a closed-crankcase vent without a filter/catch can is going to have buildup problems.

Is anyone installing an "elephant hose" instead of a catch can?

Old 11-27-2010, 11:09 AM
John.Starkweather
Neutral
MINI hasn't said anything about the N18 engine as far as carbon goes. Not saying they haven't changed anything but I can't tell you for sure. I would recommend treating the engine just like an N14 and we get more data from the updated motor. I won't know for sure until I see one come in for a carbon clean. And as soon as I get one I will post a thread for sure.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:53 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
From what I have seen it just has the 1 PCV line....the one that is pre-turbo, like you see in these pics. The one that went directly into the intake manifold is the one that is removed.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:22 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
Thanks for the responses thus far. Excuse my nievetivity, but here's what I'm thinking. Isn't it true then if the newer N18 engine has no PCV from the valve cover to the intake, then the carbon build-up will be reduced if not eliminated into the valve train (the notorious problem in pre-2011 engines)?

So does this also mean then that all the PCV vapors are now going through the turbo only and getting burned-up/vaporized through the turbo?

Again, just getting my facts straight so I know what I need to do to keep this engine running new (minus carbon) as long as possible...

tvanhouten

Last edited by tvanhouten; 11-27-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-27-2010, 06:39 PM
moondawg14
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tvanhouten
Thanks for the responses thus far. Excuse my nievetivity, but here's what I'm thinking. Isn't it true then if the newer N18 engine has no PCV from the valve cover to the intake, then the carbon build-up will be reduced if not eliminated into the valve train (the notorious problem in pre-2011 engines)?

So does this also mean then that all the PCV vapors are now going through the turbo only and getting burned-up/vaporized through the turbo?

Again, just getting my facts straight so I know what I need to do to keep this engine running new (minus carbon) as long as possible...

tvanhouten
I doubt they're getting "burned-up/vaporized" in the turbo. However, adding some velocity and "pre-mixing" the oil vapor with the charge air may help to carry the mixture on into the cylinder instead of condensing on the valves.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:43 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
Coaking of the turbo should be way more of a problem then coaking of the valves (from what I deal with in turbine engines). We won't know what they are doing until someone pulls their valve cover off.

Any takers

Old 11-27-2010, 06:46 PM
moondawg14
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by EcoHeliGuy
Coaking of the turbo should be way more of a problem then coaking of the valves (from what I deal with in turbine engines). We won't know what they are doing until someone pulls their valve cover off.

Any takers
I don't know how hot the compressor wheels get. They should stay relatively cool with all of the air that passes by them. But, if they get hot enough to cook the oil.... it'll be a problem!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by moondawg14

Is anyone installing an "elephant hose" instead of a catch can?
Actually, I've considered doing this and have done it in the past with other vehicles. Before I got into MINIs, I had a VW TDI (a.k.a. diesel) and then a Jeep Liberty CRD (also a diesel)....both engines were known for having terrible carbon buildup in the intake manifolds due to the mixture of the PCV vapors and the diesel soot from the EGR system. The problem was a bit different than what we are experiencing with the MINI....the intake manifolds would get so caked up with this soot/oil vapor crud that the engine would basically be choked to the point where it lost significant amounts of power. It was such a problem that many resorted to either blocking off or turning off the EGR or taking the PCV out of the mix (with an elephant hose) to help alleviate the problem. Like MINI, VW always blamed it on poor fuel quality and stated that it was a "maintenance issue". I always found that hilarious.....nowhere in the VW maintenance schedule did it state "remove the intake manifold every 20K miles and scrape the sludge out of it so that your car will continue to run." Maintenance issue my a$$.

An "elephant hose" would take care of the carbon problem on the MINI....but Mother Nature would be sad.

Last edited by Fastlane; 11-27-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moondawg14
I don't know how hot the compressor wheels get. They should stay relatively cool with all of the air that passes by them.
Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple; compressing the air will naturally increase its temperature, per the Gas Laws. Primarily, it winds up a function of the degree to which the incoming air is compressed.

That being said, it's probably a safe assumption that the air exiting the turbocharger and entering the intake manifold would be below the autoignition temperature of the air/fuel mixture (for straight gasoline, it's 246–280 °C / 475–536 °F). Therefore, the air passing through the turbocharger compressor will be between ambient temperature and > 246 °C / 475 °F. So, the question becomes: would coking occur at those temperatures...?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM
EcoHeliGuy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple; compressing the air will naturally increase its temperature, per the Gas Laws. Primarily, it winds up a function of the degree to which the incoming air is compressed.

That being said, it's probably a safe assumption that the air exiting the turbocharger and entering the intake manifold would be below the autoignition temperature of the air/fuel mixture (for straight gasoline, it's 246–280 °C / 475–536 °F). Therefore, the air passing through the turbocharger compressor will be between ambient temperature and > 246 °C / 475 °F. So, the question becomes: would coking occur at those temperatures...?
This is correct, on our smallest helicopter Engines (Turbine engines and Turbos work on the same theory) after compression the air is over 350C/700F degs, we use this air for deicing and heating the cabin. Our engines have a lot higher compression then a Turbo, but the air leaving a turbo is by no means cold, thats why you have an intercooler.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
tintman718
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63

It's the intake valves and ports that are coking, not the compressor wheel. The compressor wheel does not get hot enough for and coking to occur, or at least there hasn't been any evidence of it yet.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tintman718
It's the intake valves and ports that are coking, not the compressor wheel. The compressor wheel does not get hot enough for and coking to occur, or at least there hasn't been any evidence of it yet.
Yes, I agree. I was responding to the discussion point which was speculating that some of the PCV vapors are potentially being routed through the turbocharger in the newer engines, and the possibility that coking could occur on the turbocharger's compressor scroll.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Is that heat shield OEM?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
tvanhouten
2nd Gear
The heat shield you see in the pics is a NM Engineering shield I got from outmotoring.com here:

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...at_shield.html

WARNING:

This heat shield is designed for "pre-2011" n16 engines and is not a direct bolt on for a 2011 MCS n18 engine. I had to modify the mounting position in order for it to fit. The only hole that lines up is the hole on the turbo - the other two holes that bolt on the head do not sit flush.

On the 2011's, the valve cover is much different and is fatter - thus the heat shield wont go down all the way to bolt on the head. I purchased a metric stud rod, cut two pieces off and extended the mounting higher to meet the heat shield (since the heat shield will not sit down on the block due to a fatty 2011 valve cover)

Bottom line, I decided to use the heat shield as designed rather than wait for a new version to be designed and sold.

tvanhouten

Old 12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm...

N18 intake manifold
N14 crankcase ventilation hose

Though it looks at first glance as if the new N18 intake manifold has only one hose connection, where the N14 has two (the lower one being for the ventilation hose), in the N18 diagram the manifold is rotated differently than in the N14 diagram and I'm not convinced that it's not the same hose connection.

Don't see any N18 'crankcase ventilation hose' drawing, though.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 AM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
I have checked the realoem site and found that both the intake manifold from N14 and N18 share the same part number. I guess on N18 the hose connection is just blocked with no hose connecting to the cover like N14.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:03 AM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by edwkmho
I have checked the realoem site and found that both the intake manifold from N14 and N18 share the same part number. I guess on N18 the hose connection is just blocked with no hose connecting to the cover like N14.
For a PCV system to work, the crankcase gasses need to have some kind of a path back to the combustion chamber.

Maybe that hose attachment is blocked; maybe it isn't. Not sure I'll believe one way or the other until someone gets eyes on it (I tried to get a look at the dealership, but they wouldn't let me remove the air box on one of their showroom vehicles ).

Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Yakatak
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember....owners, without catch cans, have found sludge in intercoolers.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 AM
MCSonMymind
2nd Gear
So is there a way to install a BSH OCC with this new PCV configuration on a 2011 MCS?

Quick Reply: PICS of 2011 MCS New Design Valve Cover - Carbon/PCV Fix?