Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!

Old 12-22-2015, 09:20 AM
swunder
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinR
Sorry, I've had a really busy work week since then.

For the recall, they replaced the pump, fan and fluid. I was the first car in the service lane at 7:00am. It took about 2.5 hours from the time I handed over the key until I was pulling off the parking lot. Everything is working very smoothly (as it should) now.

They also checked over my car and found a list of items they felt needed attention. Of the items that I didn't know about, they say the low speed fan isn't working, the valve cover gasket is leaking, the crank position sensor o-ring is leaking and the oil pan gasket is leaking. I have not seen any evidence of oil leaks, so I will be poking around the engine compartment this weekend to see what I find.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to discuss anything offline.
Ok sorry for being OT but either every mini has these issues or the crooked mini dealers literally have a script they read off when people bring in R53's. That is almost word for word what I have been told by 2 separate mini dealers inspecting my car, with a year (and repairs/inspections from my own mechanic) inbetween.

Hesitant to bother with this recall, they'll take my car for 10 hours, tell me I need $6k worth of work and find some reason not to do the recall repair.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:53 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I verified the fan works, just not on low speed; plan to replace the low speed resistor rather than the entire fan assembly. Since I will already be there, I will replace the CPS o-ring and thoroughly clean everything I can. Then I will monitor for more oil leaks.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:04 PM
ScoutsOut
Neutral
Welp as a new to me Mini owner, it was not so fun to experience the dreaded PS failure today. But looked up my VIN and I guess she falls under the recall umbrella. We shall see how it goes dealing with the shop here in Sacramento. Hope all goes well!!!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 AM
dmoore
1st Gear
Coincidentally, I saw something where Mini has recalled the 1st gen mini's for the PSP if the car has less than 150K miles or is 13 years or younger. Looks like this recall went into effect on 12/1/15. Here is where I saw it.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/10/...g-pump-issues/

I hope this helps.

Doug

Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Whew, my 06 MCS is not part of the recall:-)

Must be the bullet proof power steering pump that was developed after 2005 ;-)

Old 12-28-2015, 11:47 AM
ScoutsOut
Neutral
Well I called the dealership and got the "We don't know what's going on, here's a number to call" service. Called and no answer. We shall see. I'm very good at being a pest.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Morganinaboat
2nd Gear
According to my dealer here in Atlanta, the "recall" is not a full recall "yet." Whatever that means.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:25 PM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford is having issues now with electric PS pumps failing and a recall has not been issued.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/12/report-ford-regulators-aware-power-steering-issues-still-no-recall/#more-1252385

Old 01-11-2016, 12:38 PM
RoxCo
Neutral
Got the electro hydraulic power steering (EHPS) System recall last December as well. Any update on this? Tried to call the 800 number on the letter but was on hold for 30 minutes and got automated answers only. It does indicate they are not "ready" to conduct the recall on the letter but will further advise you with a letter. But since we had a diagnostics test, DEM replacement and service engine done at the Mahwah dealership, we had paid for this service as well. It cost about $700 for a new steering unit but on the bill it doesn't indicate as "EHPS" rather H**CS. Any ideas if it's the same thing, cause I would love to get reimbursed for that money.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
wjones14
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I just got the official Recall Campaign No. 15V-660 Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) System letter in the mail yesterday. It's dated March 2016. The letter says that they informed me of the recall in December 2015 and indicated they were not ready to perform the recall at the time, but that they are ready now to perform the recall. They encouraged me to schedule an appointment with an authorized MINI dealer ASAP to have the recall performed free of charge.

I called the closest dealership this morning and am now scheduled for the service. The symptoms I have are that the steering effort is much greater than normal at low speeds, and there also is some kind of grinding noise coming from the power steering pump or fan. The noise is intermittent, much more noticeable in cold weather than warm for some reason, but the increased low speed steering effort is always present.

Glad to finally get this fixed. The car has 99,500 miles, and I did have to put almost $4000 into it last year for an exhaust, water pump, wheel bearing, and clutch, but that is behind me and I am looking forward to at least a few more years with this car.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thats great, I got mine a while back also. Hopefully i will get the update , ready to fix letter also.

I am going to try to do my power steering lines ahead of time, just encase also. i have a bunch of miles on mine.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2-2016-a.html

Wonder if the newest pump is even quieter. I know in 2005 the pump noise was revised again. When I had my last pump replaced , i noticed the steering was much sharper and crisper.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Morganinaboat
2nd Gear
All fixed at MINI of Kennesaw. New pump and fan installed with no issues.

Last edited by Morganinaboat; 03-25-2016 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 04-02-2016, 03:18 PM
wjones14
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Update: Recall performed at Mini of Warwick in RI. New pump, fan, hose clamp, and fluid. Fixed free of charge.

I checked the price of the pump and fan at Pelican Parts: $424 + $72.

They did do an inspection without me asking, and let me know that the control arm bushings were worn and the brake fluid looked dirty. I declined their offer to fix them, but thanked them for looking, and there was no pressure from them.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM
minhi
2nd Gear
PS recall experience

Just posting my experience (i have not seen to many regarding this recall, not many early owners left?)

I took my 02 MCS into Passport Mini of Alexandria (PMOA) yesterday, when i called the SA seemed to not know about the recall before pulling it up on the computer. But they said to bring it in, a different SA wrote it up.

They did suggest some additional work (some oil leaks--oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket which have been pointed out to me for the last 5 years!) as well as suggesting the PS lines be replaced. Unfortunately they were not bad enough that they said i *had* to replace them as i would've argued that be included in the recall (they're not), so i declined and will have a look later.

I'm hoping it's due to the clamps and that a new set of clamps will lock them back down, if not will have my local mechanic take care of it.

I wasn't having any issues with the PS pump but i have an early 02 so figure i'd take advantage of this and get a new pump. The fan had been replaced earlier so they didn't do that.

EDIT: Whoops spoke before i checked the invoice, looks like they also replaced the fan--which i feel wasn't necc. as i just had it replaced a few years ago and reimbursed under the fan replacement recall. like i said before my ps-pump was fine, but happy to reset the clock on that part, now if i only i could reset the clock on a few other parts under warranty!

Last edited by minhi; 06-02-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Who may know what the first symptoms of power steering pump failure are?
My R53 got a recall notice in the mail, but when I took it in to have it done, the report said that my pump was not one of the affected units. (!)
Naturally now, a month later, I am hearing and feeling little 'creaks' or snaps in the wheel as if the wheel itself had some slack somewhere. Could these be early signs of PSP failure? My R53 is 13 years old, so the cutoff for any warranty appeal may be over anyway.
This has become a rescue car, good money after bad, but I feel like I need to get it working right to either enjoy it or sell it. It's too fun to sell, unless things like this keep coming at me.
Any perspective appreciated...

My signature photo is my R55, so ignore that for my R53 world questions :-)

Old 06-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's strange, a 2003 should be covered by the recall. I received 2 recall letters for my 02 r53. I can't think of any reason why your pump would be excluded. Only certain 05's and all 06 are not covered.

Have you called Mini yet? That would be the first thing I would do. I even googled the number for you : 866-275-6464

You can see the safety recall for your car on this website.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
If you have the pump/ fan replaced with the updated unit in the past ( before the recall), then its already been done. They look at the pump and check for the updated part# , if it has it you dont get a new pump. Just had mine checked.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the clarification ecs.

Always wondered how many pumps you can get though. Sounds like its only one but what if it dies? How long is the replacement pump covered?

Another question you might know, is the new pump the same part number as the 06 pump?

Old 07-29-2016, 03:52 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you Shawnn and ECSTuning. I'll see if I can find any evidence of the updated part number.
Does anyone know what to make about the creaking or clicking, of the steering wheel? It steers just fine, but strange sounds concern me.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:32 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
what is the updated pump number? Saves me a half a day of wasted vacation

Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Krisdadude
Neutral
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
Thank you Shawnn and ECSTuning. I'll see if I can find any evidence of the updated part number.
Does anyone know what to make about the creaking or clicking, of the steering wheel? It steers just fine, but strange sounds concern me.
Its the strut mount

Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
The creaking is probably a strut mount as mentioned above. The clicking could be the universal joint in the steering column. I think mine has a little click/notch feeling at one point but I only ever notice it driving slow and backing up.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 AM
witttom
Neutral
R52: Power Steering

Apologies for the noob question that I'm sure has been answered elsewhere, but I've been searching and searching, and I'm not really seeing what I'm looking for.

Own an R52 wih 194k-miles on the clock. Bought from a friend a couple months ago. Wife was driving it last week. Put the top up and down a couple times while parked, listening to the radio. Then started it but had no power steering. I was out of town and unable to have a look. MINI friend and previous owner told me that happened to him once when his battery was bad. Wife drove it home. Tried the next day, and the PS was working again. She drove it a whole week, with no issues, but described a faint humming coming from somewhere that she couldn't pinpoint. I got home yesterday. Hopped in the car after it had been sitting for a couple days. No PS. I checked the battery at both idle and with the car off. Voltage looks good. It appears to be a relatively fresh battery. Drove the car for about ten miles with no PS, back home, turned it off, tried again, still notta. While I was tinkering and letting the car idle, I too heard the faint humming, which sounds like it's coming from deep in the dash. I'm not sure.

I know this is not the appropriate place to post this question, so if someone could point me in the right direction, or call my attention to a thread where this has already been discussed, I'd appreciate it. My gut feeling is the PS pump has gone out, but I'd like to be able to troubleshoot a few things and know for sure, maybe figure out what sort of a nightmare it's gonna pose for me to fix it myself.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:27 AM
gknorr
6th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by witttom
Apologies for the noob question that I'm sure has been answered elsewhere, but I've been searching and searching, and I'm not really seeing what I'm looking for.

Own an R52 wih 194k-miles on the clock. Bought from a friend a couple months ago. Wife was driving it last week. Put the top up and down a couple times while parked, listening to the radio. Then started it but had no power steering. I was out of town and unable to have a look. MINI friend and previous owner told me that happened to him once when his battery was bad. Wife drove it home. Tried the next day, and the PS was working again. She drove it a whole week, with no issues, but described a faint humming coming from somewhere that she couldn't pinpoint. I got home yesterday. Hopped in the car after it had been sitting for a couple days. No PS. I checked the battery at both idle and with the car off. Voltage looks good. It appears to be a relatively fresh battery. Drove the car for about ten miles with no PS, back home, turned it off, tried again, still notta. While I was tinkering and letting the car idle, I too heard the faint humming, which sounds like it's coming from deep in the dash. I'm not sure.

I know this is not the appropriate place to post this question, so if someone could point me in the right direction, or call my attention to a thread where this has already been discussed, I'd appreciate it. My gut feeling is the PS pump has gone out, but I'd like to be able to troubleshoot a few things and know for sure, maybe figure out what sort of a nightmare it's gonna pose for me to fix it myself.

When my pump died, it would sometimes turn on for the first few minutes of driving and then turn off. Sometimes after letting the car sit for a while, the pump would work again, sometimes it wouldn't. I'm guessing your pump is dying, but you could always check all the electrical connections to make sure there isn't a problem there.

Do you know if the pump has already been replaced at some point?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 PM
witttom
Neutral
Originally Posted by gknorr
When my pump died, it would sometimes turn on for the first few minutes of driving and then turn off. Sometimes after letting the car sit for a while, the pump would work again, sometimes it wouldn't. I'm guessing your pump is dying, but you could always check all the electrical connections to make sure there isn't a problem there.
I got it back during my drive today, then it went away again, and then back but only sorta kinda, and then gone again. I'm thinking it's on it's way out too, but just gasping a few last breaths.

Originally Posted by gknorr
Do you know if the pump has already been replaced at some point?
Not sure. I need to look into that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Must Read About time Power steering pump failure !!!