Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).
View Poll Results: Who has...
Never had the cold-start problem
34.34%
Had cold-start problem and been permanently fixed with tensioner replacement.
19.62%
Had cold-start problem and been repeatedly fixed with tensioner replacements.
10.19%
Had cold-start problem and been permanently fixed with service bulletin SIM110207
19.25%
Had cold-start problem and still experience issues even after full SIM110207 service applied
20.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Cold Start issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:58 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fix has (so far) solved my problem. I'm really lucky to have such a good bunch of guys at Mini of Pensacola. They really go all out for the customer.
As far as your SA stating the issue was due to low oil. It probably didn't help. One thing I've learned on MCS's is check oil regularly, like at least once a week. In 4,000 miles I've had to add approx. 1 qt of oil. Not all at once but like a quarter quart at a time. It tends to use more oil if I'm getting on it alot. If I drive like an old man (which I am) it doesn't seem to use oil.
If you have your dealer replace the tensioner, make them replace everything, not just the adjusting bolt. DEFINETLY get it fixed before something snaps.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniPoopa
Unbeilable!! The Wife took her '08 S in because of the awful rattling sound. (35k) After speaking to the service advisor he stated that the engine was 1.5qts low and that caused the sound. I am sorry, the car was just in for service 5mo ago, if it was low on oil wouldn't they have mentioned that? He stated that the cars "drink" a lot of oil!? My tuned 135i doesn't drink any thing near that much ...and I am running at 18+psi??? Also, the mini needs brakes, right after the service contract is over. Hmmmmm No biggie I can put some better aftermarket ones on, but really, they could of said something. Purchased 2 cars from them and was soon to be a 3rd.
This doesn't change the fact that the N14 have a known issue... but not frequently checking the level of your oil is not a reason to get mad at your service adviser IMO. Putting a BMW engine in the MINI may not resolve everything - BMW are not exactly known to be the most reliable car company around. Although the 4-cyl from the Z4 looks to be a pretty decent mill.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:41 AM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniPoopa
Unbeilable!! The Wife took her '08 S in because of the awful rattling sound. (35k) After speaking to the service advisor he stated that the engine was 1.5qts low and that caused the sound. I am sorry, the car was just in for service 5mo ago, if it was low on oil wouldn't they have mentioned that?
Sounds like your problem not the dealership. If you don't check your oil for 5 months that is clearly a lack of maintenance issue not an engine problem. Your car may still have the mechanical issue but by not having the proper oil level that only exacerbates the problem and complicates things.

With the proper oil level and a manifestation of the problem now you have something to complain about.

This never fails to crack me up. How can anyone go 5 months without checking the oil. I don't agree with that these engines eat oil. I owned a 2009 and drove it hard and it did not "eat" oil. I have a 2012 Coupe and thus far it does not eat oil. My wife has a 2009 and it does not eat oil. It uses a little between oil changes but that is normal.

No sympathy from this corner. Sorry.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MiniPoopa,

my 2009 MCS is also making loud rattles at start up. I had the full tensioner/timing chain fix but this happened again. I yr more on the warranty. We'll see what happens. It's going in this Thursday and I'll post with whatever they find. I did (and do) check the oil and it's NEVER been low. In my opinion, a new car (especially one with a premium price) shouldn't "drink" oil or leak oil, or burn oil or whatever. I have a 23 year old Nissan that doesn't do that! Ugh. I love my MINI but I'm getting increasingly uneasy.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 PM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
The fix has (so far) solved my problem. I'm really lucky to have such a good bunch of guys at Mini of Pensacola. They really go all out for the customer.
As far as your SA stating the issue was due to low oil. It probably didn't help. One thing I've learned on MCS's is check oil regularly, like at least once a week. In 4,000 miles I've had to add approx. 1 qt of oil. Not all at once but like a quarter quart at a time. It tends to use more oil if I'm getting on it alot. If I drive like an old man (which I am) it doesn't seem to use oil.
If you have your dealer replace the tensioner, make them replace everything, not just the adjusting bolt. DEFINETLY get it fixed before something snaps.
I guess it doesn't cross my mind to check the oil often, I assumed that all is ok if it can go 1 yr b/w oil changes. That's kinda why she wanted the car...to be hassle free. I will be keeping an eye on it from now own. Surprised to hear that they use so much oil. I just spoke to my friend who is a tech for BMW and he stated that yes the Mini does use a lot of oil. Also, cylinder # 4 (valves and intake) usually gets gunked up pretty bad because of the direct injection gasoline cannot clean these parts. Oil catch can anybody?

Anyways, I am going to have the items listed in this thread replaced. I am glad your SA takes care of you, I would have not know about this had I not checked the forum. I would suggest if anyone has not had it done to do it before the warranty expires.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 PM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PatM
Sounds like your problem not the dealership. If you don't check your oil for 5 months that is clearly a lack of maintenance issue not an engine problem. Your car may still have the mechanical issue but by not having the proper oil level that only exacerbates the problem and complicates things.

With the proper oil level and a manifestation of the problem now you have something to complain about.

This never fails to crack me up. How can anyone go 5 months without checking the oil. I don't agree with that these engines eat oil. I owned a 2009 and drove it hard and it did not "eat" oil. I have a 2012 Coupe and thus far it does not eat oil. My wife has a 2009 and it does not eat oil. It uses a little between oil changes but that is normal.

No sympathy from this corner. Sorry.
The problem would be the stealership not informing the driver (my wife) the potential risk of waiting a year to have your oil-changed, they actually encourage you not to, it was a selling benefit...you could be quarts down in oil which risks damaging internal parts. Had they mentioned that the car uses more oil than a '71 Nova maybe she would be like you, checking the oil at every fill up or better yet, purchased something else!! I did not believe it but after speaking to a BMW tech he stated that spec is up to 1 qt of oil for every 800mi. Makes no sense to me, how can you go 15k mi b/w oil changes? Do they expect people to "top'r off" Is mini the same? probably not that far off? Make the call or talk to a tech next time.

And regarding "checking the oil" what are you going to do when Mini takes the oil dipstick away? And they will if they haven't already, my car doesn't have a damn dipstick. I check the level via computer, that's all you can do. I don't think it's reliable so the oil gets changed once by me and then free 6mos later at the dealer....It's never more than 1/2qt low, even after many track days.

From now on I will just change the oil in the Mini every 6mos (3k) miles or top it off.

"the car eats oil" stated by the dealer, not my words...

also, seeing you have lots of experience w/ Mini do you properly break in the motor? Maybe this is the missing gap on why some use more oil?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 PM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bettehead
MiniPoopa,

my 2009 MCS is also making loud rattles at start up. I had the full tensioner/timing chain fix but this happened again. I yr more on the warranty. We'll see what happens. It's going in this Thursday and I'll post with whatever they find. I did (and do) check the oil and it's NEVER been low. In my opinion, a new car (especially one with a premium price) shouldn't "drink" oil or leak oil, or burn oil or whatever. I have a 23 year old Nissan that doesn't do that! Ugh. I love my MINI but I'm getting increasingly uneasy.
Agreed, which is why we never checked the oil regularly other than checking too see how dirty it looks a couple times a yr.. Levels seem fine, also using the computer, and who knows if that works. Interested to hear; I know that the service dept changes many tensioners and chains here. Bad design I guess.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:37 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
MiniPoopa....maintanence can open a whole can of beans of this site.
You mentioned oil catch can. Great mod or addition. Can't believe the crud I pull out of mine every two weeks (BUT...you have to check it often). Don't know what it'd do if left unchecked and the can filled up. Probably overflow into the turbo which wouldn't be good. I think if you or your wife would check oil, coolant level, and oil catch can (if you install one) on a weekly or at the least every two weeks you'd be doing great.
Even though Mini says oil change intervels are 15K, I think that is way too long. I go every 7500 miles and change my own.
I guess I've always been a maintanence freak on all my vehicles.
Oh, if Mini ever removes the dip stick, we're all screwed.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 PM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
MiniPoopa....maintanence can open a whole can of beans of this site.
You mentioned oil catch can. Great mod or addition. Can't believe the crud I pull out of mine every two weeks (BUT...you have to check it often). Don't know what it'd do if left unchecked and the can filled up. Probably overflow into the turbo which wouldn't be good. I think if you or your wife would check oil, coolant level, and oil catch can (if you install one) on a weekly or at the least every two weeks you'd be doing great.
Even though Mini says oil change intervels are 15K, I think that is way too long. I go every 7500 miles and change my own.
I guess I've always been a maintanence freak on all my vehicles.
Oh, if Mini ever removes the dip stick, we're all screwed.
I will look in the OCC, I do believe in them. What brand do you have? I planning keeping a closer eye on her car and teaching her what I have learned. BTW the car is going in for timing chain, tensioner, other tid bits next week. Thnx for the advice/info. I am going to ask for the original chain and parts.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:31 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
MiniPoopa....I've got the BSH OCC and the Boost tap for the passenger side of the valve cover, you have to install both. Very easy. www.waymotorworks.com
Way is a great guy and won't lead you wrong.
Just checked and his R56 BSH OCC is now $159 and the boost tap is $54.
Good prices. If you get it from him the OCC (doesn't show in his web page) but it has a little dip stick in the top of the can for checking on fluid. I use a basting syring with a quarter inch piece of hose on it to suck the crud out of the can. This way you don't have to remove the lower drain plug. Fast and easy.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:02 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Hi, folks.

An update from me: the dealership found out the loud noise was due to my 2009 MCS being down 1 quart of oil. HUH????! I've been checking it every couple of days and it's always been fine! I asked the SA what was up and he said it happens often that the tube in which the dipstick is housed is woefully narrow. Therefore, it's hard not to get oil from the sides onto the dipstick! WHAAA!?? Now I'll never know if the car is low on oil. I asked if the car will give a CEL if the oil gets low and he said yes, but not until it's down like 2 to 3 quarts of oil and that can be dangerous. I'm going to go hunting for an after market dipstick that's maybe narrower?? Not sure it'll help but I will try.

I know some folks might disagree, but I really do NOT think a car with 26K miles should have oil issues. Or any issues, for that matter. I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about what I want to do soon: the car is out of warranty as of next November and I can't afford major repairs on this car.

One interesting note: I was convinced it was the timing belt issue again. I'd had the tensioner and rails and chain replaces as per the service bulletin and I asked the SA if the repair would be covered for 2 years even if the car was out of warranty. He said it would be. Same with my chrome hood scoop, which is again warped due to turbo heat (this is the third one; they still melt even with the new insulation underneath). So even when the car is out of warranty, I've got two years on repairs. He did admit that sometimes you have to "fight" with MINI over certain repairs.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Anybody know anything about this? I like Craven's Flexpod GPS mounts.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/mini-dipstick/

Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I don't understand why so many people have such a hard time reading the mini dipstick. I have no problem with it except for right after I do the oil change. Then it's a little hard to see but after 1000 miles it's dark enough to see the reading. When I pull mine out 1st time, I wipe it clean. Reinstall it and pull it out again and I'm able to get a good reading. ????
Until the oil darkens up abit I always lay the stick on a paper towel. You can see where the oil is that way.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ Well, I never have HAD an issue reading a dipstick! Then my SA told me that I was down a quart of oil and I was dumbfounded. The damned stick reads/read full every time I checked the oil. I assure you, I'm not an idiot; I have read dipsticks on many cars over many years and have never had issues like this. *shrug*

Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
bettehead......Read both of your posts and sounds like you have a lemon on your hands. Hood scoop issue (I've got the original and never a problem with melting/warping), car stays up on oil pretty much all the time. I have had to add a quarter qt. in 1000 miles. I've done this twice within the 5000 miles I have on the current oil change. 2000 more miles and I'll change it out again.
I have had the tensioner issue (replaced by dealer even though car was out of warranty), replaced leaking thermostat (out of my pocket). Those are the only major issues I've had. Hopefully, I'm safe for awhile. I currently have 63,000 miles on my 07 MCS.
Do you check your oil first thing in the morning? That's when I check mine and it seems to work for me. If I've driven it for awhile and then check it, yes it does read weird. Even if I let it sit for an hours. Seems like overnight the oil all settles.
Good luck with your issues and hope the best for ya.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:42 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ Thanks for the reply and suggestions, Dr.

Yep...I do it first thing and have even done it about 15 min after driving...just to see if I get any different dipstick readings. Nope. Every time it's fine. That's why I was in such disbelief when they told me the car was down a quart. Ever since I got my driver's license eons ago, I know to check the oil. This just boggles my mind that the car could get low and me now know it. The SA said the "gauge" is measuring not oil level (volume), but pressure. Supposedly that's why it gives a CEL only after you're down maybe 2 or 3 quarts. At that point it's dangerous! Ugh.

All of this is very frustrating for me. Thanks, all, for letting me vent and for sharing your advice and experiences. If it wasn't for forums like these, I swear I'd think I was going crazy.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bettehead
^ Well, I never have HAD an issue reading a dipstick! Then my SA told me that I was down a quart of oil and I was dumbfounded. The damned stick reads/read full every time I checked the oil. I assure you, I'm not an idiot; I have read dipsticks on many cars over many years and have never had issues like this. *shrug*
Same issue, when I took the car in they said it was down 1.5qts. I thnk they say that to CYA. It's going back in tomorrow for the chain, tensioner and what not. Not sure about the chrome piece but I will have them look at that too.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Makes me wonder if I am down on oil even though it is reading as "full".

Getting major metallic clacking noises on the driver's side especially even when fully warmed up. Also hearing squealing from the passenger side. Not sure but maybe my water pump is going? Will try to post a video for some folks to maybe take a listen.

After only 1+ month and 4,000km. Rather disappointing. Will be making an appointment tomorrow.

But boy did the car sound great today despite the -15DegC temperatures. Just finished a 450km road trip and from inside the cabin the car was just purring along.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
Just back from the dealer, confirmed that the car can drink about 1qt every 1k mi. Also, the SA stated that "heat" causes the plastic guides to go bad which makes the noise? Maybe this was mentioned already..just stating what was said. They are replacing everything.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:57 AM
muzak
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
Makes me wonder if I am down on oil even though it is reading as "full".

Getting major metallic clacking noises on the driver's side especially even when fully warmed up. Also hearing squealing from the passenger side. Not sure but maybe my water pump is going? Will try to post a video for some folks to maybe take a listen.

After only 1+ month and 4,000km. Rather disappointing. Will be making an appointment tomorrow.

But boy did the car sound great today despite the -15DegC temperatures. Just finished a 450km road trip and from inside the cabin the car was just purring along.
I'm concerned about the same thing. There's been a few of these posts lately about dipsticks reading full, but being told they are low on oil by the dealer. You couldn't read the dipstick on my 05 R53 either. How have they gone a decade and not given us a proper dipstick?

Is your squeal when you shut the engine off?

Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by muzak
I'm concerned about the same thing. There's been a few of these posts lately about dipsticks reading full, but being told they are low on oil by the dealer. You couldn't read the dipstick on my 05 R53 either. How have they gone a decade and not given us a proper dipstick?

Is your squeal when you shut the engine off?
I hear the squeal when the engine is running. Although last week I only heard a quick squeal/squeek when I shut off the engine. It's pretty constant almost like a whistling sound now. In this video you can clearly hear the ticking but the squeal not so much:

http://youtu.be/QmCbkaVkao0

I've made an appointment at MINI nearby but they won't give me a loaner (new policy? no loaner unless you purchase from them ), so I think I will go somewhere else.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 AM
muzak
4th Gear
I could hear the squeal in the vid. I'd like to hear the diagnosis. Mine only gives a short squeak on shut-off, but I haven't taken it in yet. Was the bonnet closed? Hard to tell in the vid. You should hear some diesel-esque ticking even with the bonnet closed and in the cabin, but that did sound awfully loud. However, I was wondering if you had the mic close to the valves.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by muzak
I could hear the squeal in the vid. I'd like to hear the diagnosis. Mine only gives a short squeak on shut-off, but I haven't taken it in yet. Was the bonnet closed? Hard to tell in the vid. You should hear some diesel-esque ticking even with the bonnet closed and in the cabin, but that did sound awfully loud. However, I was wondering if you had the mic close to the valves.
Bonnet was open during video and mic was pretty close to the valves. Yes I definitely hear the diesel noise and expect some valve noise, same as my last Cooper (and the last 3000km on this JCW). But recently the ticking has gotten louder and very metallic and is easily audible with the bonnet closed so I became concerned. Add on the squealing noise - it is also audible with the bonnet closed - and I figured I had better take it in.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 AM
MiniPoopa
2nd Gear
^ Have the dealer measure your timing chain....I am assuming the 2012s have a chain, I think someone mentioned that Mini/Peugeot, was going to a belt, or changed the design. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Ours was making the same noise. Took it in and the replaced everything. Now it's very quiet and running smooth. The timing chain was 70.2mm FTR

GL

Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM
bettehead
3rd Gear
FYI regarding the lousy dipstick design: OceanMINI, in another thread, posted a fabulous set of photos depicting the problems reading the dipstick:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3425692

Quick Reply: Cold Start issues...